• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second greatest Australian batsman

Who is the second greatest Australian test batsman?

• Victor Trumper

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Stan McCabe

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Bill Ponsford

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Neil Harvey

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Lindsay Hassett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bob Simpson

• Greg Chappell

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Allan Border

• Steve Waugh

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Ricky Ponting

• Matthew Hayden

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Damien Martyn

• Total voters

C_C

International Captain
Chances are high that none of those oldies who played in such a casual atmosphere would be anywhere close to their career averages if they played in the modern era.
Intensity is the difference between backyard cricket and test cricket.

I dunno why anyone will rate Trumper ahead of Ranjitsinhji or FS Jackson.....but then again, given the anecdotal and unprofessional nature of those days, i am not surprised.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Watch some film of Larwood bowling to Bradman or Hammond facing O'Reilly and then tell me its backyard cricket. 8-)
quite true...

maybe CC should read Bodyline Autopsy as well, maybe he would get a bit more understanding about how intense cricket was even back in the 30's

C_C

International Captain
maybe CC should read Bodyline Autopsy as well, maybe he would get a bit more understanding about how intense cricket was even back in the 30's
bodyline was the one blip and it showed how much they were found wanting when played in a really intense 'no quarters given' scenario.
I believe that pre-50s/60s, only Bradman, Grimmett and Barnes had what it takes to hack it as a great in the latter eras....Bradman still would be the best but i cannot say that for the other two

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And why not exactly?
Because it was a quite understandible "cry for help".
Have you not heard his explanation of the thing?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Dean Jones played just about the bravest test match knock I ever saw. It was hardly a flash-in-the-pan either. He had a sound defence & was a fine stroke player too.
Yes, but he wasn't anything more than a good player.
That Chennai 85\86 knock was really rather exceptional - but I do think plenty of people would be capable of doing similar stuff.
Fortunately most captains don't have the disregard to ask for them to be played.
That one knock doesn't really enhance his standing enormously.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
bodyline was the one blip and it showed how much they were found wanting when played in a really intense 'no quarters given' scenario.
Of course, Ponsford in The Third Test and McCabe in The First were really found wanting, weren't they?
Not to mention that almost anyone would be found wanting long-term were such tactics consistently applied - which is why they're illegal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Surely not?

Richard knows more about his batting than he himself does, because he once read a report written by someone who saw an hours highlights of one of his innings.
Nice medley there.
I'd actually find it funny if you didn't think it had any meaning.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
How d'you know?
Ever heard what esteem he was held in?
Just like Viv Richards and Brian Lara, the brilliance of Trumper could never be measured in runs - even Clem Hill had a higher average from the same era. It was the way he went about batting allied with immense natural ability that left everyone awe-struck.

-dude-

Cricket Spectator
I had to go for Steve Waugh because he 'came up with the goods' time-and-time again when Australia were in precarious positions.

8-) 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Because it was a quite understandible "plea for action" (I think that was how he put it).
Have you not heard his explanation of the thing?
"Plea for action"

Right.

So why wasn't this "plea for action" made at any other time then?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
"Plea for action"

Right.

So why wasn't this "plea for action" made at any other time then?
Perhaps this might help you understand a bit better.
I'm not saying he should be totally absolved of blame, but I do think he's been criticised more than he deserved to be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Just like Viv Richards and Brian Lara, the brilliance of Trumper could never be measured in runs - even Clem Hill had a higher average from the same era. It was the way he went about batting allied with immense natural ability that left everyone awe-struck.
Yet his average for the period is still outstanding.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So you've now moved on to knowing what I'm thinking have you?
I think almost everyone would make the same guess at what that meant - and I don't think anyone would really be very likely to be wrong.
You were simply attempting to make derogatory comments on three or four things in one sentance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's criticised for it just about every time it's thought of - as Space's comment demonstrated.
Yet since I've heard his explanation of it I've found myself being far less scathing of it.

Triple Crown

Cricket Spectator
Hard choice but I say Allan Border, as he had to carry that team on his own for so many years.

We forget how s**t that Australian team of the mid/late 80's was, after Chappell, Marsh & Lillee all retired at once, and then all the next best players went on the rebel Sth Africa tour & got banned.

If AB had the luxury of being in the current Oz team, with the backup of several quality top order batsmen, who knows how much better his record would be?