• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second greatest Australian batsman

Who is the second greatest Australian test batsman?

• Victor Trumper

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Stan McCabe

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Bill Ponsford

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Neil Harvey

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Lindsay Hassett

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bob Simpson

• Greg Chappell

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Allan Border

• Steve Waugh

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Ricky Ponting

• Matthew Hayden

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Damien Martyn

• Total voters

Deja moo

International Captain
Had to go for Greg Chappel from both his record and the few videos of his batting I have watched.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was a tough choice between Trumper and Greg Chapell. When it is so close, I am tempted to go for the player I have seen rather than the one I have read about. Not the ideal way to chose but...what to do :sleep:

twctopcat

International Regular
Went straight for the player i have seen the most of , S. Waugh. He sums up the word great in so many different ways.

Josh

International Regular
My uncle reckons Ponting. I myself have no clue as I've never seen a lot of them bat so I think my vote would be invalid.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It always follows a trend.

Some voting for the legends, Trumper, Hobbs, Hammond, Grace but next to nothing for the other great players of the past.

Its interesting to see Ponting get more votes than Harvey, Ponsford and McCabe. Shows that we are influenced by what we read only to the extent of what seems diificult to dispute due to the legendry status accorded to them.

If I am not mistaken all three or atleast two of them make Sir Don Bradman's all time great Australian side. which has, if I remember right, Ponsford, Morris(or Barnes), Bradman, Harvery, McCabe(at least one of the two), Miller, followed by the wicket keeper and bowlers.

He does not include any batsman from an era later than Harvey while in his world eleven he has included Tendulkar from the current and Sobers from an earlier era. So , it doesnt look as if it is only the fascination with his own times.

I also find, he doesnt rate Steve Waugh that high and , of course, no one who matters rates Border very high amongst the all time lists.

Interesting.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Greg 'under arm' Chappell for me.
For crying out loud, how many times have we to say that Chappell didn't deserve the criticism hurled at him for telling his brother to bowl that ball?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
At the request of SJS in the Greatest English Batsman thread, here's one for Australia, excluding Bradman who would undoubtedly finish first. Personally, my choice is Greg Chappell, by a small margin.
Frankly I'm astounded anyone would put in Hassett and exclude Barnes and Morris (not that Hassett wasn't a fantastic player - but all evidence points to that he was less good than these two contemporaries of his!)
For me Trumper must have been massively superior to all the rest, though Ponsford seems to me like he came close.
I wouldn't be surprised if Trumper averaged 70 or so were he to have been born in 1975 or so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Ooooh. No Arthur Morris or Doug Walters? Or Dean Jones? Controversial! :p
Walters and Jones were good but not even in Border\Waugh's class let alone Trumper\Ponsford's.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
For crying out loud, how many times have we to say that Chappell didn't deserve the criticism hurled at him for telling his brother to bowl that ball?
who is 'we'?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Walters and Jones were good but not even in Border\Waugh's class let alone Trumper\Ponsford's.
We probably never saw the best of Walters in this hemisphere, but his record in Oz is pretty impressive.

& Dean Jones played just about the bravest test match knock I ever saw. It was hardly a flash-in-the-pan either. He had a sound defence & was a fine stroke player too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And why not exactly?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Absolute tripe.
Surely not?

Richard knows more about his batting than he himself does, because he once read a report written by someone who saw an hours highlights of one of his innings.