• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alltime World Left handers XI

C_C

International Captain
The only restriction is that if he is a bowler, he has to be a left hand bowler(doesnt matter if he is a right hand batsman), left hand batsman if he is predominantly a batsman or a wicketkeeper and atleast a left arm bowler/left arm batsman if he is playing as an allrounder

What would it be ?

Let me take a stab at it:

Bill Lawrey
Roy Fredericks
Graeme Pollock
Brian Lara
Clive Lloyd *
Gary Sobers
Adam Gillchrist +
Wasim Akram
Alan Davidson
Bishen Bedi
Iqbal Qasim/Bruce Reid/Chaminda Vaas

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
The only restriction is that if he is a bowler, he has to be a left hand bowler(doesnt matter if he is a right hand batsman), left hand batsman if he is predominantly a batsman or a wicketkeeper and atleast a left arm bowler/left arm batsman if he is playing as an allrounder

What would it be ?

Bill Lawrey
Roy Fredericks
Graeme Pollock
Brian Lara
Clive Lloyd *
Gary Sobers
Adam Gillchrist +
Wasim Akram
Alan Davidson
Bishen Bedi

Not bad, although I think either one (or both) of Langer or Hayden should get a look in for the openers spots, and perhaps Derek Underwood over Bedi for the spinners spot. Also, I'd have Davidson batting ahead of Akram. Aside from that, I can't disagree with anything from 3 through to 9.

C_C

International Captain
Well Davidson and Akram are both primarily bowlers who could bat a bit...i dont think it makes much of a difference if we flip their places...
as per hayden...no thanks. Langer i can see though i would consider Lawrey to be superior..if langer keeps up his form in the tests i can see him breaking in though....
And i wouldnt pick underwood ahead of Bedi..bedi is usually rated as the best left arm spinner ever......definately better than underwood....the only time i would pick underwood over bedi is if its a sticky wicket....in those conditions he was deadly....hell, on sticky wickets i would pick underwood before practically anyone else.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:

What would it be ?

Bill Lawrey
Roy Fredericks
Graeme Pollock
Brian Lara
Clive Lloyd *
Gary Sobers
Adam Gillchrist +
Wasim Akram
Alan Davidson
Bishen Bedi
Hayden, Langer & Morris are all better openers than either Lawry & Fredericks (and that's just the Australians that I can think of).

Border should replace Lloyd.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bill Lawry wouldnt make the modern test team due to his slow scoring nature, i think its a bit silly of you to put him the all time lefties XI

C_C

International Captain
Dunno how i missed border.....he replaces Lloyd then.
But I dont agree that Langer and Hayden are better than Lawrey and fredericks.
Arthur Morris for Lawrey is a good call.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
QUOTE]

Hayden 5500runs @ 54

Fredericks 4300runs @ 42

Langer 6400runs @ 46

Lawry 5200runs @ 47

Its quite obvious why Fredericks gets the nod over Langer and Hayden.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd prefer.......

Hayden
Anwar
G Pollock
Lara
Border (c)
Sobers
Gilchrist (wk)
Akram
Davidson
Blythe
Reid

C_C

International Captain
Scallywag said:
C_C said:
QUOTE]

Hayden 5500runs @ 54

Fredericks 4300runs @ 42

Langer 6400runs @ 46

Lawry 5200runs @ 47

Hayden versus fast bowlers : Hayden bolloxed.
Fredericks versus fast bowlers(such as Lillee/Thommo): Pure murder.

Besides, its amatuerish to deal with just the career stats and not take into consideration any glaring weaknesses of a player/detailed analysis.

And Blythe over Bedi/Underwood ?
some dude in the amatuer era ?
Please.....

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
Fredericks versus fast bowlers(such as Lillee/Thommo): Pure murder.

QUOTE]

Have to agree C_C

Fredericks 15 tests (29 innings) against Australia 1000runs @ 38 and 1 century

Pure murder.

C_C

International Captain
Fredericks 15 tests (29 innings) against Australia 1000runs @ 38 and 1 century

Pure murder.
Tell me when Hayden plays an innings like Frederick did at WACA against Lillee and Thommo....where he butchered Lillee and Thommo.

He averaged near 40 against the top bowling unit of his era when 40-45 average equated to great opening batsmen.
Take that under due consideration.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
Tell me when Hayden plays an innings like Frederick did at WACA against Lillee and Thommo....where he butchered Lillee and Thommo.

He averaged near 40 against the top bowling unit of his era when 40-45 average equated to great opening batsmen.
Take that under due consideration.
How can I argue that one innings makes a champion, just because they lost the next 4 tests of the series with Fredericks contributing nothing means he is a better player than say Langer who scored 200+ against Akhtar the fastest bowler ever on the same ground.

It all makes perfect sense.

Didnt I Chappel also make 150 in the same match against Holding, Gibbs and Roberts, that must make him better than Richards Haynes and Tendulkar.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
How can I argue that one innings makes a champion, just because they lost the next 4 tests of the series with Fredericks contributing nothing means he is a better player than say Langer who scored 200+ against Akhtar the fastest bowler ever on the same ground.
Check the bowling quality faced by Fredericks and the bowling quality faced by Hayden. What did Hayden do against Ambrose and Walsh? what did Hayden do against Akhtar ?
Hayden, like Everton Weekes has a glaring weakness and similarity: Butcherer of medium pace bowling and an awesome player of spin but totally useless against quality pace bowling.
Fastest doesnt mean quality fast bowling.
I know i said Lillee is overrated but not THAT overrated to be inferior to shoaib akhtar

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
Check the bowling quality faced by Fredericks and the bowling quality faced by Hayden. What did Hayden do against Ambrose and Walsh? what did Hayden do against Akhtar ?
Hayden, like Everton Weekes has a glaring weakness and similarity: Butcherer of medium pace bowling and an awesome player of spin but totally useless against quality pace bowling.
Fastest doesnt mean quality fast bowling.
I know i said Lillee is overrated but not THAT overrated to be inferior to shoaib akhtar
No need to explain yourself C_C it all makes perfect sense to me.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I absolutely forgot Morris was a left-hander.

Arthur Morris
Matthew Hayden
Graeme Pollock
Brian Lara
Allan Border (c)
Gary Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Alan Davidson
Wasim Akram
Chaminda Vaas
Derek Underwood

a massive zebra

International Captain
Arthur Morris
Matthew Hayden
Graeme Pollock
Brian Lara
Niel Harvey (c)
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Wilfred Rhodes
Wasim Akram
Alan Davidson
Hedley Verity

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
C_C said:
QUOTE]

Hayden 5500runs @ 54

Fredericks 4300runs @ 42

Langer 6400runs @ 46

Lawry 5200runs @ 47

Hayden, Fredericks, Langer.....Pah!

Less than 5 years since his last test match and the world has already forgotten Adrian Griffith.

Hang your heads in shame.

Beleg

International Regular
Arthur Morris
Brian Lara
Neil Harvey
Gary Sobers
Clive Lloyd - C
Greame Pollock
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist - Wk
Wasim Akram