• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alltime World Left handers XI

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Greg was great but not in Richards-tendy-lara class.
He wasnt as fluent and he averaged 50 against WI because he averaged 48.5 and 117 when WI had a very weak bowling lineup ( it was after the 1975 tour that WI started employing the four prong) - Andy Roberts, Lance Gibbs and Michael Holding were the only bowlers of class on that tour and it was Holding's debut series and Gibbs's last series with him a shadow of his former self.

Another master piece.

Assertion : Greg Chappell was not in the class of Lara and Tendulkar.

Reason Offered: He was weak against the four pronged West Indies attack.

Minor Question : When did Lara, Richards and Tendy face this four pronged West Indies attack in test matches to prove themselves better(on this count only)

shaka

International Regular
Graeme Pollock would obviously be picked in the squad of 11 left handers of all time

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
Oops. :wallbash:

Time to rephrase that... "Care to explain his failure in Pakistan, where the pitches were doctored to neutralise his bowling?"
He(Dennis Lillee) fights all the time, never shirks the responsibility. He came to Pakistan in 1980 and took just three wickets in the three tests but he bowled his heart out, trying every tactic and keeping up his aggression. Thats the sign of fast bowling greatness.

From the first day I saw him in 1972, he's been the best bowler of my era.

Imran Khan in his biography Imran talking about Lilleee​

Anyone can fail to get lots of wickets over a three test spell. I am sure even in the series where he was 'successful' you might find a 2-3 match spell where he did not run through sides.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
C_C said:
Greg Chappell failed to live up to his standards once WI bowling attack was upgraded.

Given the fact that he had only one bad series against them and that he averaged 56 in WSC Supertests against 2 four-pronged pace attacks, your argument is hardly valid.
Its an amazing argument but considering where it is coming from, not surprising at all. Here is how Greg C fared against Windies.

Series...........................M...Inns.....NO...50s...100s...HS...Runs...Avg

1972-1973 WIN v AUS...5......8.....1.....2...1...106...342...48.86

1975-1976 AUS v WIN ...6.....11.....5.....3...3..*182..702...117.00

1979-1980 AUS v WIN...3......6.....0.....1...1...124...270...45.00

1981-1982 AUS v WIN ...3......6.....0.....1...0...61...86...14.33

OVERALL VS WEST INDIES 17...31..6...7...5..*182..1400...56.00

A record any batsman would be proud to own. But......

number11

U19 Captain
AT XI [no post CW caveat]:

Hayden
G. Smith *
G. Pollock
Brian Lara
Sangakkara
Sobers
Gilchrist (wk)
Alan Davidson
Wasim Akram
M. Johnson
R. Herath

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Hayden, Langer & Morris are all better openers than either Lawry & Fredericks (and that's just the Australians that I can think of).

Border should replace Lloyd.
Wow you really are an OG , you were on CW before even facebook was invented

Silver Silva

International Debutant
From those that I watched :

Tests :

1.Graeme Smith (C)
2.Matthew Hayden
3.Kumar Sangakkara
4.Brian Lara
5.Andy Flower
6.Adam Gilchrist (WK)
7.Ravindra Jadeja
8.Wasim Akram
9.Mitchell Johnson
10.Chaminda Vaas
11.Zaheer Khan

BazBall21

International Regular
Hayden
Sangakkara
Lara
Pollock
Border
Sobers
Gilchrist
Akram
Davidson
Verity
Johnston

That first opener spot is a bit of a coin toss between a few very evenly matched batters.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Scgultz and Reid were obviously better bowlers than Vaas or Zaheer when they were fit.

number11

U19 Captain
For modern era picks: Akram, MJ and then I suppose Boult. Vaas is next up. Amongst spinners it's easy: Herath is the best ever of his type.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
For modern era picks: Akram, MJ and then I suppose Boult. Vaas is next up. Amongst spinners it's easy: Herath is the best ever of his type.
Modern era needs Wagner - probably 2nd to all but Akram. Herath is not needed as one or both of Shakib and Jadeja would be selected.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Shakib, Jadeja, Akram, Davidson and Sobers as the 5 man bowling line-up gives insane depth and also a strong bowling attack for the lefties XI.

If the righties didn't have Bradman, I think lefties XI will win them.

Majestic

U19 Debutant
Among those I have watched live,

1st XI:-
Matthew Hayden
Graeme Smith
Kumar Sangakkara
Brian Lara
Shiv Chanderpaul
Adam Gilchrist (wkt)
Ravindra Jadeja
Wasim Akram