• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff's action

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
I've barely ever seen Flintoff bowl (we don't have pay TV), but have heard a few people (P. Roebuck) questioning Flintoff's action, especially on his faster "effort ball". What are people's thougts on this ?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
It's butt ugly, but he's a strong, strong man and it's obviously natural for him. It's not something that needs to be tampered with.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Arrow said:
You beat me to it. What an ugly action. Which is uglier? his or harmison's?
I think Harmison's is quite fluid. He must be such a Hercules because he almost ambles up to the crease; sort of like Freddie, but lets the ball absolutely rip. Other players really charge into the crease with their lower body but don't get the express pace happening (Hoggard, Gough, Kasprowicz).

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
bryce said:
on the subject of ugly pace bowler actions, shaun tait
I think the reason for Shaun Tait's success so far is not extreme pace combined with accuracy, but like Lasith Malinga, he conceals the ball well before he bowls it. So when the ball goes into the right spot, it already has the pace and the batsman is often clueless. I wouldn't have him changing his action.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Mr Casson said:
I think the reason for Shaun Tait's success so far is not extreme pace combined with accuracy, but like Lasith Malinga, he conceals the ball well before he bowls it. So when the ball goes into the right spot, it already has the pace and the batsman is often clueless. I wouldn't have him changing his action.
Yes, it's also hard to face a bowler with no rythm at the crease as you can never be 100% as to when the ball will be released

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can see where the perception he's doubtful might come from. At full-speed (as in not slow-mo replay speed), there's a discernable 'flick' at the top of his action. I always just assumed it was a wrist flick, though. He certainly gets a lot of bounce no matter what length he bowls so you'd imagine this would be the case.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It is a very ugly action. I don't particularly quite like looking at it, but he makes up for it when the ball is released. ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Top_Cat said:
I can see where the perception he's doubtful might come from. At full-speed (as in not slow-mo replay speed), there's a discernable 'flick' at the top of his action. I always just assumed it was a wrist flick, though. He certainly gets a lot of bounce no matter what length he bowls so you'd imagine this would be the case.
Yes I've noticed the flick too. It does intrigue me, but never really believed it was a throw. Not too surprised its been brought up though.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Arrow said:
Id say ntini's action is the ugliest. Looks like a train wreck.
I'm impressed with it actually. He doesn't even use his left arm to guide the ball, so he must just be naturally gifted at landing the ball because he doesn't really have accuracy problems. He's just a really natural athlete, so it works for him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arrow said:
Id say ntini's action is the ugliest. Looks like a train wreck.
Personally, that action would irritate me as a batsman. Just from watching on TV (Granted I'm no Vaughan or Strauss :happy:) I wouldn't have an absolute clue on how to play him. Not necessarily due to his brilliance, but his awkward action.

However as mentioned he is a brilliant athlete. Quite brilliant.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of bowling actions, it's interesting that all 4 pace bowlers regularly used in the Australian side (McGrath, Gillespie, Kasprowicz and Lee) have very fluid, classical bowling actions. McGrath and Lee in particular are very nice to watch.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There's probably some elbow joint movement in it, but if you look at anyone from enough camera angles you'll find movement.

It's not something I (or he, I'd wager) will be losing sleep over.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Speaking of bowling actions, it's interesting that all 4 pace bowlers regularly used in the Australian side (McGrath, Gillespie, Kasprowicz and Lee) have very fluid, classical bowling actions. McGrath and Lee in particular are very nice to watch.
Lee's is more fluid than it used to be. He used to be more stiff with his left arm at the point of delivery. Gillespie's is very similar to Harmison's, and I just don't think that he has the same makeup as Harmison to pull it off injury-free for a long period of time.