• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's Australia - how good?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Benaud rates them as good as the invincibles.

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/JAN/158640_AUS_16JAN2005.html

Among the test sides past 95, Taylor's, Waugh's and Ponting's Australia have been the best in the world. I rate the current side under Ponting better than the side under Waugh considering they have more experienced players and guys like Clarke as well. Winning in India and Sri Lanka are indicative of their strength. As is winning 3-0 recently vs NZL and PAK so easily.

Most of us have agreed Windies were stronger than Waugh's Australia. I have my doubt with this current Australian team which has untapped resources and partnerships they always come up with.

And even Gillespie isnt a muck with the bat any more. Have the current Australian team 70/4 and they could still make 350.

Best cricket team I have definitely seen.

Thoughts..?

Camel56

Banned
You have them 70/4 and they could easily be 370 before they lose their 5th wicket. Best side ive seen no doubt but when McGrath and Warne retire they will come back to the field.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I personally think this current Aussie side is better than S.waugh's side of the late 90s early 2000s. However not convinced they would beat the great windies side of the mid 80s...

what a game it would be though...

Not sure I'd like to put money down on the winner

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I previously believed that the Waugh side of 2000/01 was better, but after watching some tapes and DVDs from those days, I've changed my opinion. This current test squad is amazing. Simply brilliant. Best bowling line-up I've ever seen, however on paper I think the WI bowling line-up is slightly better. However I never had the privelige of seeing them live, so I won't really comment. The batting speaks for itself.

They are a terrific team though, without a doubt. Best I've ever seen hands down.

C_C

International Captain
All i gotto say is if One Shoaib akhtar made a bunny outta Hayden and made Lemon look pretty stupid, i shudder to think what 4 bowlers superior to Akhtar would've done.

In tests, i would rank WI of the late 70s/early 80s as the BEST, followed by the Invincibles, folled by Steve Waugh's corps.

But this aussie is a great ODI outfit.....i dunno which one(s) are better: the Saffies of the mid/late 90s, the aussies of the last 2 years or the Windies of the late 70s/early 80s.

Camel56

Banned
C_C said:
In tests, i would rank WI of the late 70s/early 80s as the BEST, followed by the Invincibles, folled by Steve Waugh's corps.

Are you calling steve waugh a corpse? I dont think he is dead yet.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
i started a thread like this a while ago and most people said s.waugh's team were better but i think tis curent side is better

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
All i gotto say is if One Shoaib akhtar made a bunny outta Hayden and made Lemon look pretty stupid, i shudder to think what 4 bowlers superior to Akhtar would've done.

QUOTE]

In the series WI v Pak 74/75 Richards only averaged 5.6 and that was against some pretty ordinary bowling.

77/78 he only averaged 31 against the Australian team and again in the 81/82 series against Aust Rchards only averaged 26.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Its a very, very tough call regarding the current Aussie side, and the mighty Windies of old. As mentioned earlier I'd hate to put money on an outcome if the two were to lock horns. One think I'd relish though would be Marshall vs. Ponting, that would be amazing, anwyay, back on topic. Anyway heres how rate the current Aussie side:

1) West Indies 1970/80's
2) Pontings Australians
3) The invincibles
4) Ali Bachers South Africans
5) Steve Waughs Aussies

Cheers
Soapy

C_C

International Captain
77/78 he only averaged 31 against the Australian team and again in the 81/82 series against Aust Rchards only averaged 26.
And ?
Everyone has a bad series or two.
However, Hayden has been exposed more often when he has faced hostile FAST bowling than not.

Like i said, in cricket, bowling is what wins you matches and the WI team of the 70s/80s had the best bowling in a squad ever.
Marshall, Holding,Garner, Croft, Roberts, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop......apart from Walsh(who was orindary at the start of ihs career), any one of them would walk into any team from any era.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
And ?
Everyone has a bad series or two.
However, Hayden has been exposed more often when he has faced hostile FAST bowling than not.

Like i said, in cricket, bowling is what wins you matches and the WI team of the 70s/80s had the best bowling in a squad ever.
Marshall, Holding,Garner, Croft, Roberts, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop......apart from Walsh(who was orindary at the start of ihs career), any one of them would walk into any team from any era.
And Hayden would walk into any side in any era.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Lets not forget that the current australian team is feasting on some pretty pathetic bowling attacks. West indies and NZ attack is club level and pakistans only has one real strike bowler and even he is not "great".

The great west indies quartet would of damaged this batting order. Even their best 90s attack consisting of ambrose, bishop, walsh would of made them look mortal.

twctopcat

International Regular
Arrow said:
Lets not forget that the current australian team is feasting on some pretty pathetic bowling attacks. West indies and NZ attack is club level and pakistans only has one real strike bowler and even he is not "great".

The great west indies quartet would of damaged this batting order. Even their best 90s attack consisting of ambrose, bishop, walsh would of made them look mortal.
Here here, if (massively hypothetical) the aussie batting line up were to bat against its own bowlers, i think we would see how relatively weak the batting actually is.