• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricinfo live commentary

Loony BoB

International Captain
Who does the live commentary for the England - South Africa tests right now, and who did the live commentary for the England - New Zealand test where Astle and Thorpe both reache 200 or so? I wish every bit of commentary was as good as that test. Even on dot balls, he'd fill two or so lines detailing how the batsman hit the ball, where it went to, etc... this guy now? Well, a guy takes a wicket and we get nothing but "24.3 Hoggard to Dippenaar, OUT: thick outside edge to Giles at 4th slip" ...really nice, chap. Never seen a guy so excited. I know it's a tiring and probably boring / difficult job, but still...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea I agree the commentators on cricinfo seem to lack a bit of passion, they seem to waste time stating the obvious as well... nearly every no-ball you get:

29.3 Flintoff to Boje, (noball) no run, ... penalised for overstepping

penalised for overstepping - really, no kidding.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I loved the people during England's tour of West Indies where the commentator started doing munch munch eatin food and stuff when the match got boring for a period. That guy was awesome.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I know what you mean. Here's a good example of good commentary (well, one of my fave bits of the match I mentioned...
86.3 Caddick to Astle, SIX, UNBELIEVABLE! *speechless stuff* down the
track to a full ball outside off stump, sends it a country mile
over long on, an almighty hit of biblical proportions
time for another replacement ball it seems, that one's out lost
too, this new new ball lasts only 1.4 overs this time
Now that's how it should be done. :D And to be fair, let's find a smaller note in that same commentary...
29.4 Butler to Ramprakash, no run, hops across to off stump, keeping the
arms raised well clear to leave to the keeper
Notice how this guy gives more commentary for a dot ball than the guy doing the SA-Eng test gives a wicket? Yeesh.

The full NZ-Eng test - every ball with great commentary. We need to make sure that guy gets hired again someday soon...

Fiery

Banned
Loony BoB said:
I know what you mean. Here's a good example of good commentary (well, one of my fave bits of the match I mentioned...

Now that's how it should be done. :D And to be fair, let's find a smaller note in that same commentary...

Notice how this guy gives more commentary for a dot ball than the guy doing the SA-Eng test gives a wicket? Yeesh.

The full NZ-Eng test - every ball with great commentary. We need to make sure that guy gets hired again someday soon...
I have the DVD of that Astle innings which has had repeated viewing. Unbelievable display of how to hit a cricket ball out of the ground without slogging.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Fiery said:
I have the DVD of that Astle innings which has had repeated viewing. Unbelievable display of how to hit a cricket ball out of the ground without slogging.
Damn you!

I've been trying to find a Nathan Astle : Master Blaster DVD for weeks, but to no avail.

Fiery

Banned
BlackCap_Fan said:
Damn you!

I've been trying to find a Nathan Astle : Master Blaster DVD for weeks, but to no avail.
I got mine from Whitcoulls on Queen St. Have you tried them?

James

Cricket Web Owner
BlackCap_Fan said:
Damn you!

We sell it through Sporting Gifts.

third link down on the left menu.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
Who does the live commentary for the England - South Africa tests right now, and who did the live commentary for the England - New Zealand test where Astle and Thorpe both reache 200 or so? I wish every bit of commentary was as good as that test. Even on dot balls, he'd fill two or so lines detailing how the batsman hit the ball, where it went to, etc... this guy now? Well, a guy takes a wicket and we get nothing but "24.3 Hoggard to Dippenaar, OUT: thick outside edge to Giles at 4th slip" ...really nice, chap. Never seen a guy so excited. I know it's a tiring and probably boring / difficult job, but still...
IIRR it was Lynn McConnell - always bank on a detailed description there.