Thread: Cricinfo live commentary

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar

Cricinfo live commentary

Who does the live commentary for the England - South Africa tests right now, and who did the live commentary for the England - New Zealand test where Astle and Thorpe both reache 200 or so? I wish every bit of commentary was as good as that test. Even on dot balls, he'd fill two or so lines detailing how the batsman hit the ball, where it went to, etc... this guy now? Well, a guy takes a wicket and we get nothing but "24.3 Hoggard to Dippenaar, OUT: thick outside edge to Giles at 4th slip" ...really nice, chap. Never seen a guy so excited. I know it's a tiring and probably boring / difficult job, but still...
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Yea I agree the commentators on cricinfo seem to lack a bit of passion, they seem to waste time stating the obvious as well... nearly every no-ball you get:

29.3 Flintoff to Boje, (noball) no run, ... penalised for overstepping

penalised for overstepping - really, no kidding.

I loved the people during England's tour of West Indies where the commentator started doing munch munch eatin food and stuff when the match got boring for a period. That guy was awesome.

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    I know what you mean. Here's a good example of good commentary (well, one of my fave bits of the match I mentioned...
    86.3 Caddick to Astle, SIX, UNBELIEVABLE! *speechless stuff* down the
    track to a full ball outside off stump, sends it a country mile
    over long on, an almighty hit of biblical proportions
    time for another replacement ball it seems, that one's out lost
    too, this new new ball lasts only 1.4 overs this time
    Now that's how it should be done. And to be fair, let's find a smaller note in that same commentary...
    29.4 Butler to Ramprakash, no run, hops across to off stump, keeping the
    arms raised well clear to leave to the keeper
    Notice how this guy gives more commentary for a dot ball than the guy doing the SA-Eng test gives a wicket? Yeesh.

The full NZ-Eng test - every ball with great commentary. We need to make sure that guy gets hired again someday soon...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    I know what you mean. Here's a good example of good commentary (well, one of my fave bits of the match I mentioned...

Now that's how it should be done. And to be fair, let's find a smaller note in that same commentary...

Notice how this guy gives more commentary for a dot ball than the guy doing the SA-Eng test gives a wicket? Yeesh.

The full NZ-Eng test - every ball with great commentary. We need to make sure that guy gets hired again someday soon...
    I have the DVD of that Astle innings which has had repeated viewing. Unbelievable display of how to hit a cricket ball out of the ground without slogging.

State Vice-Captain BlackCap_Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery
    I have the DVD of that Astle innings which has had repeated viewing. Unbelievable display of how to hit a cricket ball out of the ground without slogging.
    Damn you!

I've been trying to find a Nathan Astle : Master Blaster DVD for weeks, but to no avail.
    Batsman for Cricketweb Blue
    Stats:
    --------M-----I----N.O---Runs---Average---50's--100's--HS
    OD: -62---56----15-----1342----32.73-----10------0-------99 (seriously)
    FC: --40---77-----8------2067----29.96-----12------2-----120

RIP Fardin 1990-2006

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCap_Fan
    Damn you!

I've been trying to find a Nathan Astle : Master Blaster DVD for weeks, but to no avail.
    I got mine from Whitcoulls on Queen St. Have you tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCap_Fan
    Damn you!

We sell it through Sporting Gifts.

http://www.cricketweb.net/newzealand/index.shtml - third link down on the left menu.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    Who does the live commentary for the England - South Africa tests right now, and who did the live commentary for the England - New Zealand test where Astle and Thorpe both reache 200 or so? I wish every bit of commentary was as good as that test. Even on dot balls, he'd fill two or so lines detailing how the batsman hit the ball, where it went to, etc... this guy now? Well, a guy takes a wicket and we get nothing but "24.3 Hoggard to Dippenaar, OUT: thick outside edge to Giles at 4th slip" ...really nice, chap. Never seen a guy so excited. I know it's a tiring and probably boring / difficult job, but still...
    IIRR it was Lynn McConnell - always bank on a detailed description there.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Thread Information