cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: West Indies in Oz cut to three tests to accomodate Twenty20

State Vice-Captain membersstand's Avatar

West Indies in Oz cut to three tests to accomodate Twenty20

Doesn't sound like it's cut to three Tests because of trying to fit in a Twenty20 competition - sounds like it is because there are simply too many Tests. None of it is definite anyway yet and it's very doubtful whether WI are worthy of 5 Tests frankly.

State Vice-Captain membersstand's Avatar
    I think you can stick the because in there.. It's tradition to give WI 5 tests and I think they'd get them without 2020

School Boy/Girl Captain Black Thunder's Avatar
    Windies aren't worthy of the five tests any more. Quite a shame really as one of the great test series in history was 92/93 series.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...-93/WI_IN_AUS/

It does seem they are actually trying to put one extra test in by play 2 3-test series (1 v WI, 1 v RSA) which will give them 5 tests as opposed to 6.

I'm not sure what to think about this 20/20 thing. I can see the financial benefits, but the effect it has on the actual cricket isn't good at all. Not a fan of 50-over cricket but 20/20 is just redicolous. I hope it doesn't take off at international level, but i fear it will. It should never be used in schools and junior level, as the last thing you want to do 13-14-15 year old's is to encourage this type of slogging, and discouraging youngsters from wanting to bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Thunder
    Windies aren't worthy of the five tests any more. Quite a shame really as one of the great test series in history was 92/93 series.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...-93/WI_IN_AUS/

It does seem they are actually trying to put one extra test in by play 2 3-test series (1 v WI, 1 v RSA) which will give them 5 tests as opposed to 6.

I'm not sure what to think about this 20/20 thing. I can see the financial benefits, but the effect it has on the actual cricket isn't good at all. Not a fan of 50-over cricket but 20/20 is just redicolous. I hope it doesn't take off at international level, but i fear it will. It should never be used in schools and junior level, as the last thing you want to do 13-14-15 year old's is to encourage this type of slogging, and discouraging youngsters from wanting to bowl.
    I suggest you actually watch or follow Twenty20 for a few games instead of just talking misinformed garbage about it.

School Boy/Girl Captain Black Thunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    I suggest you actually watch or follow Twenty20 for a few games instead of just talking misinformed garbage about it.
    in what way is that misinformed??

The game is about trying to score as quickly as possible, and generally having little regard for holding your wicket.

Teaching this to young teenagers will do nothing to develop their game. For a young cricket why would they want to be a bowler in this form of the game?? Kids do things that they can succeed at and find enjoyable. They'll find going out trying to belt the ball much more fun than being belted all around the park.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    How about you take in other peoples opinions instead of blurting out your ridiculously narrow minded comment all the time
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

We get it. You like Twenty20 cricket. You've made that damn palpable. Now quit whining.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Thunder
    in what way is that misinformed??

The game is about trying to score as quickly as possible, and generally having little regard for holding your wicket.

Teaching this to young teenagers will do nothing to develop their game. For a young cricket why would they want to be a bowler in this form of the game?? Kids do things that they can succeed at and find enjoyable. They'll find going out trying to belt the ball much more fun than being belted all around the park.
    i agree with you mate - i was arguing this on another thread, this clown just can't accept that not everyone likes 20/20

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    I would love most test series to be of 5 tests but its not sustainable any more. With Australia up 3-0 in a 5 test series (a likely scenario), the last two tests would be farcical.

Tests have to be earned and if the Windies perform well in this series, they will get a bigger series the next time.

India-Australia series were never awesome and then the Eden Gardens test and that series happened. And we had the last series a 4 test one which should be the norm for India-Australia for the nxt two series atleast (I wish). England-South Africa is being able to sustain 5 test series. These are the most interesting cricket played but the competition should be there and quality of cricket good.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Galactic_Soap's Avatar
    ^^^^

I agree, I don't think I'd be able to stomach another 4-1 series debacle, and as mentioned earlier I don't think the reason the series was downsized was alltogeather to do with the adoption of the 20/20 format. Its easy to see how that conclusion could be drawn though, especially with CA promotion of the format resting on their ability to have the internationals playing in the new season.
    Member of the Alan Donald Fan Club

I think a 5 test Aus v WI series will be an absolute disaster and bring in far fewer people than 20/20.

I personally am not a 20/20 fan and don't like it. But if that's whats going to bring in the hard dollars, there is surely a place for second string players and fringe players to entertain the masses who bring in the dollars !!

Going onto the question of Aussies and the quality of their opposition, Only India and possibly England are the only countries that can provide a 5 test series of interest and quality over each and every Test.

SriLanka could do it but that involves Murali playing a 5 test series in Australia and I can't see the Aussie media and fans changing their stripes, come Tsunami or what!!

So I guess Aussies having raised the bar in terms of the gap between them and others and being more unbeatable at home than ever (especially when no injuries to the old timers Warne and McGrath) will find it more and more difficult to play 5 test series apart from the said two countries.

Very few countries play 5 test rubbers now anyway . So I guess 3 test series will be the norm , even for Australia !!
    Last edited by JASON; 17-01-2005 at 01:07 AM.

U19 Vice-Captain
    I just hate seeing tradition broken. Its always been 5 tests so we shouldnt change it just because they are not competative. When was the last time there was a competative ashes series? Are we going to cut that down as well?
    Im also disappointed that the windies wont be playing in the VB series next year. Its also tradition that the team thats involved in the test series also plays in the one day series.

Next summer's going to be great! So much cricket! Can't wait
    Stedders' Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, CA Lynn, Shakib Al Hasan, SE Marsh, +AT Carey, AC Agar, PJ Cummins, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

I frankly don't want to witness a 5 test series between Aus and WI. It's a waste of time, because WI don't have a chance of winning a test match. I'd prefer a nice and fast Twenty20 match instead.
    Code:
    CW CRICKET - May 2009
    FC
    M      I     NO    Runs      Avg      Ct      50s      100s      HS
    83    157   8      4237    28.44      79      22         4       169*

O     W    Avg   SR
    45    18   18.7  27

List - A
    M      I      Runs      Avg      Ct    50s    100s      HS
    179   174    5828      37.84     67    48     3        121

OD
    M      I      Runs      Avg    Ct      50s      100s      HS    SR