• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies in Oz cut to three tests to accomodate Twenty20

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
membersstand said:
As a West Indies fan it seems a perfectly sensible decision to me.

The last series in Australia was horribly one-sided and in an era where everyone is concerned about players being overworked it seems daft to encourage the best team in the world to play a 5-test series against the 8th best.

Frankly, I don't think that many West Indies players or fans will be too peturbed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A lot of batsmen hvae scored runs by playing proper cricket.

Slogging from ball 1 onwards is never tried.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
A lot of batsmen hvae scored runs by playing proper cricket.

Slogging from ball 1 onwards is never tried.
There isnt much more than slogging in twenty20. You may bat a few more overs less aggresively to try to be safe with the wickets but in some time you go for the slogging. Its crap cricket with nothing in it for the bowlers.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Which shows how little of it you've seen.
I have seen two games. Not enough to make a complete judgement but if I was a bowler and batsmen were smacking me for more than 8 runs an over, I wouldnt say there is a lot in it for me. Some times I will get a few wickets if the batsmen slog and mi**** but I wont have enoh time to work the batsmen out. I wont feel as if I have bowled unplayable balls to get them out. Most of the time it will be balls to restrict runs which will get them out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Exactly, 2 games is nowhere near enough.
Okay agreed on that. But I fail to imagine how bowlers can be happy with being smacked for more than eight runs an over.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pratyush said:
Okay agreed on that. But I fail to imagine how bowlers can be happy with being smacked for more than eight runs an over.
i think you are missing the point somewhat here....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
sledger said:
i think you are missing the point somewhat here....
How am I? What chance do bowlers have in a competition manufactured for batsmen? Some times a player may get some wickets when batsmen are trying to hit the bog shots but nothing more than that.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pratyush said:
How am I? What chance do bowlers have in a competition manufactured for batsmen? Some times a player may get some wickets when batsmen are trying to hit the bog shots but nothing more than that.
good point there.

the whole competition is manufactured for batsmen.

As a bowler, we don't bowl in 4-over spells. Hell, even 10 overs isn't enough a lot of the time. In this form of the game, you may average lower than in the proper version, but it's not really through demonstrating higher levels of skill. Sometimes you might bowl that ripper ball that gets through the batsmen, but for the better part wickets are gained when the batsmen (in a more aggressive frame of mind) doesnt' fully get hold of the ball or misjudged the line of the ball.

The game is simply for the masses, who for the majority don't have the patience to sit through a full five days of cricket, and is targetted to people who wouldn't usually want to.

It may not be too badly in brining masses to games which otherwise wouldn't get many, but it should never take off at interntional level. This is where idols are made and kids try to copy what their idols do. Do we want to be encouraging kids to try and hit 4's every second ball....... And do we want to encourage kids to take up militiary medium bowling (Which btw, no one has answered my question from about post 19 on this?)

Having seen 2 games i haven't been overly impressed with it at all, and really wasn't expecting to be. I can't see that changing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
Brilliant post.

Bowlers are useless. May as well bring out the good old bowling machines.

Yes I'm exaggerating, but we all know ODI cricket is a batsman oriented game. Now Twenty20 cricket has just personified that even further.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Black Thunder said:
It may not be too badly in brining masses to games which otherwise wouldn't get many, but it should never take off at interntional level. This is where idols are made and kids try to copy what their idols do. Do we want to be encouraging kids to try and hit 4's every second ball....... And do we want to encourage kids to take up militiary medium bowling (Which btw, no one has answered my question from about post 19 on this?)
Don't expect an answer. The common approach for these people is to just keep on replying with "Well you've only seen two games. We've seen two seasons", while refusing to acknowledge or even try and debate your point. Intelligent debate does not occur.

A game where bowlers going for 7-9 an over is the norm, and actually considered decent bowling figures, is not good for cricket.
Black Thunder said:
Having seen 2 games i haven't been overly impressed with it at all, and really wasn't expecting to be. I can't see that changing.
I don't loathe it, but I'm not a big fan of it. It was midly entertaining, however some of the stunts were stupid (The Haddin crap was a disgrace, whether smart or not). I acknowledge that bringing in 20 000 people is great for cricket, and don't mind it at domestic level. But if we start getting tri-series of Twenty20 cricket, we may as well bring in the bowling machines to replace the Akhtars, McGraths, Pollock's Warne's (worth repeating).

telsor

U19 12th Man
The tour wasn't cut for 20/20, it was cut because there are so many countries to tour, so they have to cut the tours in order to fit them all in! Either that or move them to a longer cycle, ie not every 4 years.

It's the inevitable result of the ICCs rules that insist that all test playing countries play all the other test countries on a regular basis.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Pratyush said:
There isnt much more than slogging in twenty20. You may bat a few more overs less aggresively to try to be safe with the wickets but in some time you go for the slogging. Its crap cricket with nothing in it for the bowlers.
8-)

From that comment I'll assume you've never seen it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Pratyush said:
That is garbage. I don't care how many runs I go for as long as I am picking up the wickets. And, as school cricket (apart from 1st XI) is 20 Overs, I play a fair bit of it, and love the challenge of trying to keep the runs down.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Erm, bowlers generally get a fair few wickets and there is a surprising amount of wickets that are down to good bowling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Indeed - as the game gets played more, it reverts to those with the normal skills that are more succesful than those that slog.