• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fat batsmen

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Which era is this? I may try to get pictures from Sportsweek or Sportstar of the past. Sounds a whole some prospect.
70's and 80's

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SJS said:
There used to be an umpire from Delhi, Saroop Kishan. He was twice the sizr of Shephard, no kidding.
Would've made it hard for those bowlers who like to get close to the wicket!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Would've made it hard for those bowlers who like to get close to the wicket!
I have bowled with him as umpire and I always asked him to stand back, away from the stumpd so as to be able to use the width of the bowling crease.

He once tumbled over and fell in a test match at Delhi. He actually rolled (rather rocked) like a rocking chair. Believe me. the whole stadium burst out laughing.

He was a very friendly fellow and very popular with all cricketers. Btw, he was one of those who told me he that he was not afraid of giving Gavaskar out LBW.

:)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
I have bowled with him as umpire and I always asked him to stand back, away from the stumpd so as to be able to use the width of the bowling crease.
What level of cricket have you played?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
There have been two David Shephards for England. One has played test cricket. The umpire only played FC cricket..
No, there haven't been any.

There was one Shepherd (the umpire) and one Sheppard (the test player, who later became bishop of Liverpool)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
steds said:
No, there haven't been any.

There was one Shepherd (the umpire) and one Sheppard (the test player, who later became bishop of Liverpool)
There was room for confusion and so we cleared up which D.shephard was being referred to. Its pronounced almost the same.

Legglancer

State Regular
benchmark00 said:
Yes but you cant go and straight out call him a steroid user, such allegations in a court of law could land you in deep trouble (so my brother the lawyer tells me)... You can only deals with the things that have been reported and the things that have happened, not what could of happened or likely to of happened

perhaps it should apply to the "Murali" comment cationed on your posts too.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Addition to the fatties list :-

Pravin Amre

I didnt find Twose to be all that fat by any angle though.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I was once no-balled by an umpire who was so fat I had to run around him when bowling around the wicket and my back foot was outside the crease.. My skip went absolutely ballistic

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
BoyBrumby said:
Brian McMillan? He was not skinny! Pat Symcox was a tad chunky too.
I was thinking of these two players too. They were meaty and not thin. But I wouldnt say they were fat by any means.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
What level of cricket have you played?
I played senior division league in Delhi from 1965 to 1985 for Madras Cricket Cub, the same club Sehwag plays for.

I also played for Rohtak Road Gymkhana. Another leading club of Delhi in those days.

Was in the Delhi University team in 71 but left the University (and studies) for my career before the season began :@ .

We were a champion side, Delhi university in those days of great sides from Bombay, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
I played senior division league in Delhi from 1965 to 1985 for Madras Cricket Cub, the same club Sehwag plays for.
Club cricket in Delhi is good because even international players appear for all the club games they can. I was once told this by a first class player. Have also noticed quite a lot of players do follow this norm.