• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Technology - Cricket vs Soccer

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair point.

I think Cricket (& both Rugby codes) lend themselves to the use of TV for replays better than Association Football because they have natural breaks in play.

To use the Man U-North London Team Whose Name We Don't Mention example, if the ball hadn't crossed the line after the incident had been checked, what then? Ordinarily it would have been play-on; so do we have a drop-ball on the line? A goal-kick to the defending team?

The only way I can see technology helping Football is that if some science-type bod can devise a radar-type device a la Cyclops in tennis that alerts the ref when the ball is outta play.

deep85

Cricket Spectator
Fair enough point. But any particular reason not to mention the team name. Something like Harry Potter - Voldermort thing!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
deep85 said:
Fair enough point. But any particular reason not to mention the team name. Something like Harry Potter - Voldermort thing!
I'm an Arsenal fan, so refuse to mention that other team unless absolutely unavoidable. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
To use the Man U-North London Team Whose Name We Don't Mention example, if the ball hadn't crossed the line after the incident had been checked, what then? Ordinarily it would have been play-on; so do we have a drop-ball on the line? A goal-kick to the defending team?
And what if the defending team breaks away only to be stopped to check a replay?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Josh said:
Well i could say it's just as idiotic calling soccer football because in my culture AFL was always football and not soccer, same goes for the americans... and even worse I'm a bit of both... :p so we'll have our football and you can have yours.
Why not call AFL footy, and soccer football?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dasa said:
Why not call AFL footy, and soccer football?
lol but footy has to be short for something... football... how can Scaly' and others possibly say its ridiculous to call AFL not football.. the term is AFL after all, why would it have the word FOOTBALL in there if its not football... so dont try and force your stupid oppinions on others because its different for each culture

cricket player

International Debutant
Why the hell they name the american sport sort of rugby football?In football you use your foot that is the reason it is called football but if you look at american football most of the time they use there hands but some times they use there legs to kick but it shouldnt be called football.These americans always copy always copy.They copied baseball out of cricket and now they are trying to ruin footballs name with there pathatic sport which is called football.

I live in usa and trust me these people like football to dead.My dad calls american football stupid dont know why!but he thinks that american football is a joke.Where a player runs and the other player try to take him down tackle him basically but i always hated american football dont know why.I like soccer and cricket that is it.

I use to like basketball but after the brawl it sort of became a joke.It was one of the idiotic thing that i have seen for a while.I guess america which is land of freedom isnt free any more due to the fact that even proffesional player like the basketball player who attacked the fan has gone wild.

Let me ask you guys a question.Have you seen anything like this in cricket or even soccer in europe.I love europe when i grow up i would leave america.It is just not the place that i want to live in you know what i mean.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Football is football, you can have american football, aussie rules football, rugby football etc. if you insist on calling them football you can qualify them that way.

twctopcat

International Regular
That is what it boils down to, football is the predominant use of the foot, whilst afl,nfl of the usa etc is not, some sort of weird oxymoron.

Scallywag

Banned
twctopcat said:
That is what it boils down to, football is the predominant use of the foot, whilst afl,nfl of the usa etc is not, some sort of weird oxymoron.
In ALF football using the foot is the predominant method of moving the ball. Using the handball in AFL football is similar to the use of heading the ball in soccer.

BTW I play both codes and both are unique and great games.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
In ALF football using the foot is the predominant method of moving the ball. Using the handball in AFL football is similar to the use of heading the ball in soccer.

BTW I play both codes and both are unique and great games.
Yeah but AFL uses it quite a lot still, if you see what i'm getting at.

Scallywag

Banned
twctopcat said:
Yeah but AFL uses it quite a lot still, if you see what i'm getting at.
Not really, in AFL the predomint method of moving the ball is by kicking thus filling the requirements you stated determines the validity of the use of the word football.

In the dictionary AFL is better suited to the use of football because the only way you can propel the ball to score a goal is by foot whereas in soccer you can score a goal by the use of the head, chest and even by the hand of the opposition.

Josh

International Regular
Scallywag said:
Not really, in AFL the predomint method of moving the ball is by kicking thus filling the requirements you stated determines the validity of the use of the word football.

In the dictionary AFL is better suited to the use of football because the only way you can propel the ball to score a goal is by foot whereas in soccer you can score a goal by the use of the head, chest and even by the hand of the opposition.
Now that is pure genius!!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Josh said:
Now that is pure genius!!
Have to question the sanity of anyone who could call Scallywag's scrawlings 'pure genius'. In Aussie rules you sure don't catch the ball with your feet, and there's plenty of volleyball type punching of the ball to other players - the ball is as much manipulated by the hands as it is the feet.

Scallywag

Banned
Scaly piscine said:
Have to question the sanity of anyone who could call Scallywag's scrawlings 'pure genius'. In Aussie rules you sure don't catch the ball with your feet, and there's plenty of volleyball type punching of the ball to other players - the ball is as much manipulated by the hands as it is the feet.
you dont get out much do you bird brain.

you only appreciate what happens in your village.