• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ugly yet Effective Batsmen...

tooextracool

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Those gritty players over the years that don't often look elegant or look like natural strokeplayers who have made up for this due to their great concentration and guts.

They are usually so effective because they learn to play within their limitations.

Those the spring to my mind are....

Gary Kirstin (S.A)

Mark Richardson (NZ)

Alan Border (Aust)

Mark Taylor (Aust)

Justin Langer (Aust)

John Wright (NZ)

S Chanderpaul (WI)

Andrew Jones (NZ)

Can't think of many Asian players..

Any obvious names I've missed?
langer actually has a very good technique and doesnt exactly play ugly strokes.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Two very good lists here. Though I might not have included a couple of players.

From the sub continent...hmmm

1. Asif Iqbal
2. Ijaz Ahmed
3. Javed Burki (not many may remember him)
4. Javed Miandad ( I know he has many admirers including yours truly)

5. Chetan Chauhan(top of any international list !!)
6. Ravi Shastri
7. Shrikkanth
8. Manoj Prabhakar

Not surprisingly all four Indians opened all/part of their careers.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
I thought Ian Healy batted weird, if not exactly ugly...
A lot of keepers would fall into that but I suppose we could excuse them as long as they are not ugly in their main job :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag309 said:
..in cricket, doesnt innovation looks ugly (especially when it's not from the textbook)
hmmm, not always. There are those who play cricketing strokes with more or less correct techniques and still look not to pretty and others who never play as per the book and look pretty.

i think what you could say, though was, that those who innovate , against their normal inclination/style , cant look too good because it is not natural to them and their way of playing.

Rahul Dravid never looks god trying to lift wide of mid on or mid wicket but looks fine as long as it is mid on and straight. Sachin, however loks fine lifting to mid wicket.

Thus when Rahul Dravid lifts a drive clean over cover point he looks greatbut when he tries to aweep, let alone revese sweep, he looks ugly.

Sudeep

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
..in cricket, doesnt innovation looks ugly (especially when it's not from the textbook)
Not always. Take for example, the reverse sweep. It was a shot used sparingly before (if I'm not wrong), but became an important part of Jonty Rhodes and Andy Flower's repertoire. Neither of those two looked ugly playing it.

Sehwag309

Banned
In both replies. it normally looks ugly...Dravid would be too much to fit in the same sentence as ugly but I wouldn't take it to court either

Sudeep

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
In both replies. it normally looks ugly...Dravid would be too much to fit in the same sentence as ugly but I wouldn't take it to court either
Both Rhodes and Flower looked elegant playing the reverse sweep. It looked as if they were masters of that particular stroke.

Douglas Marillier looked masterful, and in some way elegant, playing his lap shot, if it can be called that, which is enough to not look ugly to me.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Both Rhodes and Flower looked elegant playing the reverse sweep. It looked as if they were masters of that particular stroke.

Douglas Marillier looked masterful, and in some way elegant, playing his lap shot, if it can be called that, which is enough to not look ugly to me.
So basically we agree its not the shot but the way the batsman executes it that will make it look ugly.

Agreed.