• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your favourite way of Dismissing a batter?

Your Favourite Method of Dismissing a Batsman?

• Bowled

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • LBW

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Stumped

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Caught and Bowled

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Caught Behind

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Caught close to the bat (Slips Batpad)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Caught infield (Mid off, covers, squar leg, point)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caught in the deep

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
In my comeback game today.. I was fortunate enough to be given the ball for a few overs to break a partnership and I did (for the record my figures were 7-1-32-2) which was good considering their top order was rollicking.

However it posed the question what is your favourite way to get a wicket as a bowler. Mine is caught and bowled, as my style of Ian Harvey like medium paced yorkers/off cutters get a lot of those, and you do everything in the wicket and they look really good.

Any thoughts?

bryce

International Regular
i made a comeback today aswell - my bowling comeback because i've had a screwed knee and got 2/22 off 7 - one caught behind and a bowled, my favourite way to get a batsman is comprehensively bowled, though the one today just clipped the off bail

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
the only wicket i ever got in school cricket was caught in the deep, but it's definitely got to be comprehensively bowled

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose it depends on what you bowl.

I suppose an off spinner would be delighted to have a beautifully pitched off break go between bat and pad of an elaborate forward defensive stroke and rattle the timber.

Leg break bowlers get great pleasure in caught and bowled decidions where the movement beats the batsman playing to the onside and takes a leading edge.

Pace bowlers mostly love to hit the stumps and of course every one loves if they have planned a dismissal and it comes off perfectly, caught, stumped, bowled, whatever :D

Josh

International Regular
It was close between caught behind and bowled, but I went with caught behind, because as a medium/fast bowler, there is no satisfaction like, after countless edges, one actually connecting and going through to the keeper.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
It was close between caught behind and bowled, but I went with caught behind, because as a medium/fast bowler, there is no satisfaction like, after countless edges, one actually connecting and going through to the keeper.
Yes. Particularly if you get one to pitch perfectly and it moves just enough to take the edge :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As an extremely moderate (slow-medium) seamer my preferred method is any way I can get 'em!!! :D

But castling someone is my favourite; there's something very satisfying about the middle stump cartwheeling backwards.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
nothin better than an inswinging yorker ,specially to a left hander from around the wicket (im a right hand bowler)

Hoggy31

International Captain
Swinging away from the right hander, just clipping the edge and going to the keeper or slips in is my fav. way to get someone out.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
definetely got to be bowled. as a pace bowler anything careering into the stumps makes me happy.
also, while im a pace bowler so i wouldnt know, i imagine stumping would be quite a satisfying way of dismissal, as you prove the batsman wrong and make him look like an idiot at the same time.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Nothing beats the sight and sound of the off stump carting back 3-4 feet after a fast bowler hitting the top of it.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Nothing is better than seeing the stumps flying, and the batsman having that sort-of annoyed and sad look. Lovely.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
Leg break bowlers get great pleasure in caught and bowled decidions where the movement beats the batsman playing to the onside and takes a leading edge.
Nope, as a leggy myself it's still bowled for me.

There are two reasons why, whether it's spin, pace or medium pace, I prefer a good old fashioned clean bowled. One, there's no better view than that of stumps being broken and bails flying (providing you're the bowler), and all credit goes to the bowler. No fantastic catch by the keeper or slips to a shot that may not have always gone to hand. The batsman was just simply beaten by the bowler.