• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which nation has the dodgiest umpires?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think calling the thread "Which nation has the dodgiest umpires?" is flame-bait, however unintentional. It encourages generalisations.

FWIW the worst international ump I've seen is Russel Tiffin (Zimbabwe) & the best Venkat (India). Hair (Australia) is the most arrogant; his anti-Murali crusade put Oz/Sri Lankan relations back decades. :@

My all-time fav is dear old Dickie tho! I didn't always agree with his decisions (I'm all for giving batters the benefit of the doubt, but jeez...) but he was never less than excellent value & certainly very even-handed. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
again i'm no cricket historian but that's the only time of heard of NZ umpires doing such a bad job that it could be considered bias, hardly enough to place them in an elite group of cheaters, unless you have other accurate examples...
-the series was in 1979/80 btw
Well cheaters is a very strong word but if one says the umpiring was biased or that the benefit of the doubt AND some 'doubtful benefits' were always meant for the home side, it doesnt mean much different, inspite of the sugar coating, does it.

BTW, Imran Khan in his book Imran clearly talks of the umpiring during the 1979 tour of New Zealand as one of the resons why he started campaigning about neutral umpires. I mustadd that he also talks of bad umpirinng in Australia (also of the TCCB chairman, George Mann as being widely quoted of about the bad umpiring in Australia during Bob Willis led Ashes tour) and elsewhere.

biased indian

International Coach
Scallywag said:
In addition to what I have said my main point was that the Australian players show more respect to the umpires and have a more professional approach to the game and the way they treat the umpire.
:D :D :D :D

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
I for one am relieved I dont have to see more of guys like Peter Parker and that umpire from the past who was charged for child molesting. Most of the Australian umpires I have seen have been poorer than the avg world standards.
Peter Parker? Is he gonna use his spider senses to judge lbw's?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Well cheaters is a very strong word but if one says the umpiring was biased or that the benefit of the doubt AND some 'doubtful benefits' were always meant for the home side, it doesnt mean much different, inspite of the sugar coating, does it.

BTW, Imran Khan in his book Imran clearly talks of the umpiring during the 1979 tour of New Zealand as one of the resons why he started campaigning about neutral umpires. I mustadd that he also talks of bad umpirinng in Australia (also of the TCCB chairman, George Mann as being widely quoted of about the bad umpiring in Australia during Bob Willis led Ashes tour) and elsewhere.
Pot. Kettle. Black - construct a sentence with those three words, Imran.

C_C

International Captain
well.
While the pak umpiring was pretty dodgy, i dont think they were as dodgy as that particular series Imran reffered to.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
well.
While the pak umpiring was pretty dodgy, i dont think they were as dodgy as that particular series Imran reffered to.
Love it C_C

Pakistan umpires only a little bit dodgy not fully dodgy like the Kiwis.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
One former NZ cricketer (can't remember which book I read it in) told the story of playing a tour match in Pakistan. The ball beat the batsman and clipped the off bail.
The NZ side started to come together when the umpire piped up and said what a windy day it was, and put the bail back on the stump. The NZ team was flabbergasted, particularly as it was a windless day. Of course there was nothing they could do, so played on.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowden's the best umpire I can remember seeing and Asoka de Silva is easily the worst
That's all I have to say

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
Imran does talk of Pakistani umpiring during India's tour there and says pakistan was the beneficiary on all occasions.

Its the only instance I can recall of a test cricketer, and a captain at that, openly and on record admitting that umpiring in his own country was biased !!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Maestro said:
LOL

Im not trying to cause trouble, just looking for some intelligent debate

I even admit NZ aint faultless and England is the best!

I reckon EVERY other country knows what its like to be consistantly robbed by the Aussie umps, particulary in their tri nations ODI series

peace

:sleep:
They know what it's like to be consistently beaten anyway - whether you find fault internally with your teams performance or blame it on an outside source is up to you. In the period you were referring to in the 80's, if our umps were cheating they were doing a terrible job, we struggled to win a game.

Son Of Coco

bryce said:
so am i, especially since you put them in the 'top 3' which did not include australia - where the bill lawry stat makes it seem they were anything but fair
It depends on whether he was ever blatantly out or not.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
They know what it's like to be consistently beaten anyway - whether you find fault internally with your teams performance or blame it on an outside source is up to you. In the period you were referring to in the 80's, if our umps were cheating they were doing a terrible job, we struggled to win a game.
This is not a comment on Aussie umpiring but mostly bad(biased) umpiring has come from teams who couldnt win anyway.

Doesnt prove a thing.

India, Pakistan and NewZealand didnt win much too.

Son Of Coco

SJS said:
This is not a comment on Aussie umpiring but mostly bad(biased) umpiring has come from teams who couldnt win anyway.

Doesnt prove a thing.

India, Pakistan and NewZealand didnt win much too.
India and Pakistan were unbeatable at home.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Voltman said:
One former NZ cricketer (can't remember which book I read it in) told the story of playing a tour match in Pakistan. The ball beat the batsman and clipped the off bail.
The NZ side started to come together when the umpire piped up and said what a windy day it was, and put the bail back on the stump. The NZ team was flabbergasted, particularly as it was a windless day. Of course there was nothing they could do, so played on.
yeah i think i saw tht on that 'mantis and the cricket' program i think it happend on the 1965 tour of asia,but i maby wrong

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
India and Pakistan were unbeatable at home.
India did not win much against the big three. Winning against Australia only in 1979 for the first time(first test in 56). Against West Indies first win was in 78-79 (first test in 1948).

They did beat England but England chose to leave their best players including captain at home. In 1962, their best batsmen (May and Cowdrey) and their best bowlers(Trueman and Statham).

In 1972, the captain, Illingworth, the best batsman Boycott, the best bowler Snow and the best all rounder D'Oliviera again chose to stay home.

But what you say is true for Pakistan. They wom against all comers. Maybe the umpiring was even better !!!! :p :p

C_C

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Love it C_C

Pakistan umpires only a little bit dodgy not fully dodgy like the Kiwis.

Learn to READ.

I said that at some point or another, every nation had bad umpires.
However, i dont think there is a worse example of umpiring in a series than the WI vs NZ series in 1979/80.
'

deep85

Cricket Spectator
I agree that Bucknor & Shep have past their best. They are getting old & should retire. Relatively young umpires like Taufel,Dar & Billy are less criticised and are making less errors off late.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
C_C said:
Learn to READ.

I said that at some point or another, every nation had bad umpires.
However, i dont think there is a worse example of umpiring in a series than the WI vs NZ series in 1979/80.
'
I can think of many VB/Aussie Tri Series where wack home team favouring decisons ran that pretty close