• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad Light Ruling

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
SJS, do you have any more info on this (or a source)? What a weird arrangement. Still don't understand how the floodlights come into it though.

I wonder if it was an arrangement between the captains or the respective boards - 'cause if Vaughan agreed to this, he really shot himself in the foot, as Smith has made really good use of it so far. Hopefully we won't see a situation like this again.
South Africa v England: first Test

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strauss makes light of the gloom

South Africa 337 & 229; England 425 & 93-3

Mike Selvey in Port Elizabeth
Tuesday December 21, 2004
The Guardian

England, having kept their noses in front from the second ball of the match, were within 49 runs of winning the first Test when bad light stopped play with 12 overs of the fourth day and an optional period of extra-time in hand. At that stage Andrew Strauss, 51 not out to go with his hundred in the first innings, and Graham Thorpe, on 23, had already taken their fourth-wicket partnership to 43 and looked in a position to steer the side home with a day in hand.
The gloom had enveloped the ground all day though and from the third over of their innings - begun after tea - the floodlights had been switched on. Even then, however, conditions were marginal and, although England declined the opportunity to leave the field, the South African captain Graeme Smith invoked a pre-tour agreement whereby if the artificial light supercedes the natural the fielding side has the option of going off even if the batting side wishes to stay on.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,10069,1377819,00.html

Sudeep

International Captain
England captain hit with big fine

England captain Michael Vaughan was fined the whole of his match fee to cap a miserable day for the tourists in the third Test against South Africa.

Vaughan had complained about umpires Steve Bucknor and Aleem Dar's decision regarding the light on Friday evening.

Continue [»]

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a remarkable situation, this - there are so many different things intertwined.
My understanding of it was that there has recently been a regulation come into red-ball cricket that once the floodlights are the majority source of light (ie when they are casting the shadows) then play must cease because it is unsafe to play with a red-ball in such conditions.
What I really don't understand is how all this bat-complain\field-complain stuff comes into it. So far as I'd heard (and of course we've read several contradicting ideas) there is still only provision to offer light to batsmen, on the grounds of either dangerously dark conditions or unfair playing conditions. Maybe that has changed.
I didn't realise, before Kyle mentioned it, that Umpires would be liable to be sued if injury were to occur, though when I think about it I can't see why I didn't - so I certainly don't blame them for erring on the side of caution in today's compensation-crazy World.
Either way, my take on the situation would be that there should be a standard light-reading where play is unfit once you go past it. This should be decided by scientific tests of the human eye and all the stuff that goes around the game (balls, light quality, etc.) I really don't know why the fact that every stadium is different comes into anything - so there are different things that block or allow light - do you know how these meters work? They simply take the light at a specific point and no matter what inputs there are on this light the intensity will be exactly the same, and you can use a meter to calculate that.
The problem with the current "use your eyes" system is that it's palpably clear that a Pakistani's bad light is an Englishman or Kiwi's clear-as-day, so you get these frequent good-weather-country Umpires taking Englishmen off the field when they play in that sort of light nearly half their domestic careers. Equally, you can get situations where Shep and BB find nothing abnormal about the light but South Africa and Australia find it freak darkness and insist that play shouldn't be happening.
A standard reading would take all this out of the equation. The notion that it's much different for batsmen and fielders is a little silly - sometimes fielders have to face balls coming even faster than batsmen. Especially that over-rates have much influence on the equation - bad light frequently comes into play at the start or in the middle of the day, you can't assume that it's due to not bowling the overs quick enough and always in the evening.
If you simply had a standard reading, too, it'd completely take away the captains' right to throw hysterics and try to get the Umpires off the field. So you'd not get matches like this Wanderers one.