Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lillie VS Hadlee

School Boy/Girl Captain

Lillie VS Hadlee

Which of these two stacks up as the better player in your opinion?

For me Lillie was a beautifully balanced and aggressive quick, who had a big heart and rarely let his side down. Probably in the top five of all bowlers that I have seen (1980-present)

However Hadlee was a master of working players out, while he didn't have Lillies pace consistently he was a much more intelligent cricketer. He also had to more or less carry NZ's attack for the entirety of his career. I have seen no-one with a more cunning outswinger than Sir Richard Hadlee

I would have to give the comparison............. as bowler only.......... to Hadlee. Add Hadlees batting to the mix and the fact that Lillie barely knew which way to hold the willow......in fact he was so clueless he decided it was cool to use aluminium! ha ha!! What a doofus

Hadlee was a better fielder too

Hadlee 9.5/10

Lillee 8.5/10

D.N.T!

Banned
    Lillie by a mile.
    As far as i know Ray Hadley cant bowl for sh!t. Dont tell him that though or he'll pull your f*ckin' ears.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    C'mon, this one could be argued either way...

It is interesting to note that after 70 test, they both (from memory) had almost indentical records...355 wickets..The only difference being that Hadlee then went on to play 86 test in total for his 431 wks.

I personally think they are hard to separate as bowlers, and also interesting that Lillee was Hadlee's hero .

Although Hadlee had a slightly better record, many great past players rate Lillee as the best ever. Botham included.

Banned
    I would have said

Hadlee 9.50
    lillee 9.49

Two great bowlers who not only played extremely well but two bowlers who led their teams with distinction.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    I still can't get my head around why Lillee is rated so highly when he consistently averaged around 23/24 in both test and first-class cricket, while most of the other truly great pace bowlers tend to average between 20-22. I agree that Lillee is one of the greats, but a lot of people see him as a god whose status can never be questioned, which I find debatable.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    A bowling average less than 25 in Test cricket is very, very good, if not great.

Anyway, what's a run between greats?

International Vice-Captain a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Lillee could be phenomenal on his day but is massively overrated and inconsistent. He is thought of as pretty much the complete fast bowler despite even Rod Marsh admitting that he had a weakness against the left handers and that he also struggled to run through lower orders due to the lack of a good yorker. Furthermore, he also struggled in Asia. Lillee was not the complete fast bowler and his reputation as the king of fast bowlers is just another example of Australians and inconsistent matchwinners being remembered more fondly than consistent non Austalians/Englishmen (a la Murali vs Warne where Murali is clearly much better than the overrated Australian matchwinner, yet does not get the credit he deserves).

McGrath is not generally talked about in the same breath as Lillee but as a matter of fact is a demonstrably more reliable bowler than Lillee, has had success all over the world, and in terms of PriceWaterhouseCoopers ratings is ahead of him at every point in their respective careers after the first dozen or so matches.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    A bowling average less than 25 in Test cricket is very, very good, if not great.

Anyway, what's a run between greats?
    I agree. But most of the out and out greats have slightly better records than Lillee. I reject the assertions that Lillee was the model fast bowler and all that, I accept he was a very fine player, but you must admit that a lot of people seem to think he was God's gift to bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry
    I still can't get my head around why Lillee is rated so highly when he consistently averaged around 23/24 in both test and first-class cricket, while most of the other truly great pace bowlers tend to average between 20-22. I agree that Lillee is one of the greats, but a lot of people see him as a god whose status can never be questioned, which I find debatable.
    I appreciate stats do mean a lot in cricket, but I don't buy in that they are always the absolute be-all and end all in all cases.

There are so many factors that should be taken into consideration when comparing players records.

Where were most matches played?
    Who was the opposition and in what era?
    What was the strenght of the player concerned team?
    and many others....

For example , Whilst I don't think Kapil Dev was quite in the class of Hadlee or Lillee as a bowler. I certainly do think he was a better bowler than his average of 29 would indicate. I'm sure had he not played so many of his tests in the subcontinent his average for example may have been around 26 mark.

I suppose my point is that not EVERYTHING always comes down to a player average even though it is usually a good indication

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    I appreciate stats do mean a lot in cricket, but I don't buy in that they are always the absolute be-all and end all in all cases.

There are so many factors that should be taken into consideration when comparing players records.

Where were most matches played?
    Who was the opposition and in what era?
    What was the strenght of the player concerned team?
    and many others....

For example , Whilst I don't think Kapil Dev was quite in the class of Hadlee or Lillee as a bowler. I certainly do think he was a better bowler than his average of 29 would indicate. I'm sure had he not played so many of his tests in the subcontinent his average for example may have been around 26 mark.

I suppose my point is that not EVERYTHING always comes down to a player average even though it is usually a good indication
    What were the factors against Lillee?? I think over a FC career as long as Lillee's, or Hadlee's, the stats certainly tell the story.

C_C
    better Player ?
    Richard Hadlee by a country mile.

I consider Hadlee to be slightly superior bowler, a lightyear ahead in terms of batting and fielding is too close to call IMO.

So player-wise, Hadlee is a whole lot better.

As per the best ever , its debatable but i wouldnt rate Hadlee or lillee as good as Malcolm Marshall-who was the most complete and consistent bowler of them all.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Lillie VS Hadlee

I dont know ?

PS. Who is Lillie ?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    Whilst I don't think Kapil Dev was quite in the class of Hadlee or Lillee as a bowler. I certainly do think he was a better bowler than his average of 29 would indicate. I'm sure had he not played so many of his tests in the subcontinent his average for example may have been around 26 mark.
    Actually, his record in Asia is marginally better in terms of average than his career!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Tim
    Not forgetting that Hadlee had to pretty much carry the NZ team for most of his career. We had some decent players..but it was fairly obvious that we would have been stuffed without him.

431 test wickets in 86 tests was outstanding...considering that for his 1st 7 or 8 matches, he was decidedly ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Actually, his record in Asia is marginally better in terms of average than his career!
    whoops

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information