• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

T.V Commentators.The Best and the Worst

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously a totally subjective thread and I'm sure one thats been done before, but should be interesting to read other thoughts.

Don't know about others, but certainly for me in watching cricket on T.V , good commentators make a big difference in my enjoyment of the game, especially in test cricket.

For me the CRACKER-JACK commentators are....

1)Richie benaud - the king

2) Bill Lawry - although biased - i luv when he gets excited + he does give credit where its due

3) Henry Blofield - Hasn't been on T.V for a while, but used to luv listening to "the dear old thing"

4) Nivot Sindu - Okay he very rearly talks cricket - but is a funny man - only in small doses though

5) Geoff Boycott - Is arrogant as he is, I don't neccessarily like the man, but do really enjoy his commentaries.

For me the SHOCKERs are.....

1)Simon O'donnell - not really a commentator, but presents with Richie, in the breaks. How the hell did he get this job? I can't work it out

2) Waqar Younis - May & probably will get better - but at the moment is almost unbearable

3) Danny Morrison - wetter than a wet fish

4) Gavin Larsen - even wetter than danny morrison

5) Bob Willis - As exciting as a funeral ...

Turnmills

Cricket Spectator
I rate all on your GOOD list and definately agree with your Gavin larsen observation.

I would add Ian Smith to your list of great commentators.

He is full of wry wit and generally bang on with his observations.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Turnmills said:
I rate all on your GOOD list and definately agree with your Gavin larsen observation.

I would have added Ian Smith to your list of great commentators.

He is full of wry wit and generally bang on with his observations.
I would have included Smith except he lets himself down by getting all too emotional when NZ aren't doing well.

He was however brilliant when he was a neutral commentator in the Ashes a couple of years ago

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
There is no one on a par with David Lloyd. He is a fantastic commentator. I find myself in agreement with a lot of things Ian Botham says as well.

I also (shock, horror!) really enjoy Mark Nicholas' commentary. Richie Benaud is a legend and I don't mind Tony Greig either. Allan Donald and Sanjay Manjrekar are pretty good.

On the other hand, I'm growing less impressed with Ian Chappell all the time, and Laxman Sivaramakrishnan is a tool. Waqar Younis needs to find another job.

thierry henry

International Coach
I HATE Ian Smith. Maybe I'm the only one, but I do. He is terribly biased towards NZ, and he is also incredibly pompous and makes it sound as though every sentence he is saying is the most important of all time, despite his tendency to repeat the same opinions in every game.

cricket player

International Debutant
top ten sub continent commentators.

ramiz raja:one of the best commentators i love him to dead.

sanjay manjerakar:supports india alot but still a good commentator.

navajot sidhu:he is funny and he is a good commentator i love to watch him commentat.

ravi shastri:one of the best and although he retired from commentating but still he remains the best

waqar younis:was bad when he made his debut as a bowler he was struggling a bit and sort of struggling as a commentator these days but will eventullay get better as he continue's

wasim akram:is a legend and is a good commentator although he is rather intersted teaching indian bowlers how to bowl.

i should say top six.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
cricket player said:
top ten sub continent commentators.

ramiz raja:one of the best commentators i love him to dead.
I really hope you don't mean that literally... seriously... :huh:

cricket player said:
navajot sidhu:he is funny and he is a good commentator i love to watch him commentat.
What's so good about watching someone commentate? I usually judge their performance on what I hear from them.

cricket player said:
ravi shastri:one of the best and although he retired from commentating but still he remains the best
He can't be the best if he doesn't commentate. He may have been the best, however.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
For me my favourite comentators in no particular order:

1) David Loyd
2) Bill Lawry
3) Tony Greig
4) David Gower
5) Rameez Raja

I dislike the following:

1) Ian Botham
2) Ian Smith
3) Greg Chappel
4) Ian Healy
5) Mark Taylor

Sudeep

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Obviously a totally subjective thread and I'm sure one thats been done before, but should be interesting to read other thoughts.

Don't know about others, but certainly for me in watching cricket on T.V , good commentators make a big difference in my enjoyment of the game, especially in test cricket.

For me the CRACKER-JACK commentators are....

1)Richie benaud - the king

2) Bill Lawry - although biased - i luv when he gets excited + he does give credit where its due

3) Henry Blofield - Hasn't been on T.V for a while, but used to luv listening to "the dear old thing"

4) Nivot Sindu - Okay he very rearly talks cricket - but is a funny man - only in small doses though

5) Geoff Boycott - Is arrogant as he is, I don't neccessarily like the man, but do really enjoy his commentaries.

For me the SHOCKERs are.....

1)Simon O'donnell - not really a commentator, but presents with Richie, in the breaks. How the hell did he get this job? I can't work it out

2) Waqar Younis - May & probably will get better - but at the moment is almost unbearable

3) Danny Morrison - wetter than a wet fish

4) Gavin Larsen - even wetter than danny morrison

5) Bob Willis - As exciting as a funeral ...

Nivot Sidhu? :D

Anyway, Navjot IMO is bearable for a post-match review or similar, but his style for sure doesn't suit play-by-play.

thierry henry

International Coach
lol, just saw some highlights, Bill Lawry is in peak form today, screaming his head off.

And I didn't realise that Ravi had retired?

Deja moo

International Captain
thierry henry said:
lol, just saw some highlights, Bill Lawry is in peak form today, screaming his head off.

And I didn't realise that Ravi had retired?
Shastri hasnt retired. He just spends more time nowadays interviewing newbie commentators and flirting during match intervals.

cricket player

International Debutant
Galactic_Soap said:
For me my favourite comentators in no particular order:

1) David Loyd
2) Bill Lawry
3) Tony Greig
4) David Gower
5) Rameez Raja

I dislike the following:

1) Ian Botham
2) Ian Smith
3) Greg Chappel
4) Ian Healy
5) Mark Taylor

Why would you not like greg chapple the guy is a legend.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Good : Lawry, Gower, Greg Chappell, Arun Lal
The Bad : Most sub-continental commentators
The Ugly (read ridiculous) : Siddhu

The Best : Benaud and Boycott