• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia name greatest One Day side

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adam Gilchrist
Mark Waugh
Dean Jones
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Symonds
Steve Waugh
Michael Bevan
Simon O'Donnell
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

For those too lazy to fetch it.
Very interesting. Is Symonds really one of Australia's best ever ODI players? He's got a decent record, but that's a high honour.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Adam Gilchrist
Mark Waugh
Dean Jones
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Symonds
Steve Waugh
Michael Bevan
Simon O'Donnell
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath
I'd rather have had a hard hitting Alan Border in there :D

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The question is: what age to have Steve Waugh? Mid 20's so he can bowl his slower ball, or mid 30's for his captaincy and reliable batting?

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Adam Gilchrist
Mark Waugh
Dean Jones
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Symonds
Steve Waugh
Michael Bevan
Simon O'Donnell
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

For those too lazy to fetch it.
Very interesting. Is Symonds really one of Australia's best ever ODI players? He's got a decent record, but that's a high honour.
this seriously has to be a joke, how the hell can symonds make an all time ODI side, especially considering that he averages 7 against england, 13 against SA, and 30 against NZ.
and it seems that they never learn that they need to bat bevan up the order.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I agree that symonds in there is a JOKE. Hes had TWO good seasons only for crying out loud.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Personally I think it's harder to pick all time ODI sides than it is Tests because of the innovations etc that have happened in recent times.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I struggle to understand why Symonds is there. It hasn't been a year since he started to find his feet in ODI's even.
I suppose his fielding helps justify his position.

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
this seriously has to be a joke, how the hell can symonds make an all time ODI side, especially considering that he averages 7 against england, 13 against SA, and 30 against NZ.
and it seems that they never learn that they need to bat bevan up the order.
WHy he always played his best innings and is more comfortable batting at 6. He has won many games for Australia, and I have seen him bat at four and looked a different player.

I think they got his spot right.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
WHy he always played his best innings and is more comfortable batting at 6. He has won many games for Australia, and I have seen him bat at four and looked a different player.

I think they got his spot right.
hardly IMO bevan particularly in the first inning needs to come in as early as possible so that he can bat through the middle overs and till then end of his inning. and hes averaging nearly 60 @ 4

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
tooextracool said:
hardly IMO bevan particularly in the first inning needs to come in as early as possible so that he can bat through the middle overs and till then end of his inning. and hes averaging nearly 60 @ 4
crazytown, i agree with you. Bevan should still be in the Aussie team and he should be batting at 4. :)

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
Ok Mr TEC name a better player then Bevan to bat at number 6 and could potentially win more games for Australia batting there, which Bevan did.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nnanden said:
crazytown, i agree with you. Bevan should still be in the Aussie team and he should be batting at 4. :)
Bevan would have struggled to be good enough to make the '07 World Cup, and it isn't like Australia are struggling without him in the side. Bevan wouldn't have got a bat yesterday, others would have batted ahead of him. He is always there as back-up if Australia start struggling.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Ok Mr TEC name a better player then Bevan to bat at number 6 and could potentially win more games for Australia batting there, which Bevan did.
the man whos batting at 6 in the side named, s.waugh. i would though like you to name me one player from anywhere in the world whos averaged more than bevan has at no 4.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Bevan would have struggled to be good enough to make the '07 World Cup,
because of what? his brilliant domestic form off late?

Mister Wright said:
and it isn't like Australia are struggling without him in the side..
no they arent, they've only lost 2 out of their last 4 games, to clearly inferior sides in england and NZ.

Mister Wright said:
Bevan wouldn't have got a bat yesterday, others would have batted ahead of him. He is always there as back-up if Australia start struggling.
and of course with bevan having scored in every situation that point is so valid.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Brilliant Team overall. I agree Andrew Symonds still has a bit to prove himself, but then who would be the ideal person for that position in his place ? Allan Border ?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
because of what? his brilliant domestic form off late?
No, because towards the end of his ODI career, he just wasn't fitting in to the team with Australia no longer needing someone to see out the overs, with the class they have in the side now, they have guys who can keep it going, and keep the pressure on for 50 overs. Instead of Bevan getting us to a 250 total, we have Australia making 270-300 regularly.

tooextracool said:
no they arent, they've only lost 2 out of their last 4 games, to clearly inferior sides in england and NZ.
One was from 1 poor over from Kasprowicz, not the batting.

And I can't remember the exact details of the loss to England, but I remember a few dropped catches.

tooextracool said:
and of course with bevan having scored in every situation that point is so valid.
????