• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst drop in history

Loony BoB

International Captain
Define drop however you like (personally I define drop as when they either have the ball coming at their body or when they get the palm of their hand to it).

What's the worst drop you've ever seen?

Mine would have to be when, I THINK (it's a long time ago and I still can't find any documentation of the event online) it was NZ vs. either Aussie or South Africa in a day nighter and a NZ'er skied it bloody high and, to the astonishment of everyone on the field, managed to fumble it, once, twice, three, four, possibly even five times - all well within his grasp - just to see the ball roll away from him dead in the middle of the stadium. The bowler was on the ground by the end of it all. I wasn't even that bothered too much with thinking "Yay, we got let off!" but was more thinking "How the hell did you drop that one?"

If anyone knows where to find the commentary on that then let me know, I'd love it. I'm pretty sure it was when I was trying to remember when it was that I first posted in these forums, actually...

Yours?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
  1. Deep 'The Drop' Dasgupta dropped Carl Hoper on zero. Hooper made 233 since.
  2. Rahul Dravid is reliable, except behind the stumps, as he dropped Ponting in Bangalore on less than 10. Ponting made a century, with savage blows at the end.
  3. Who can forget Boucher's Fleming drop? That, not the D/L mistake, cost SA a place ahead.
  4. Cameron Cuffy was getting a skier in Mumbai, hit by Sehwag, only to drop it.
  5. Although most drops in this list are due to results, this one was a straight catch near the inner ring, but Pedro Collins dropped it in the second Test against Pakistan in Sharjah. Now THAT'S dreadful!

Chubb

International Regular
David Leatherdale dropping Craig Spearman (I think) in this year's C&G trophy final. Benaud was talking about needing a breakthrough, and then the guy skied it, Benaud says "And here it is..." it looks really easy for a pro, gently dropping and Leatherdale put it down. "Well, I don't know what to say." said the other commentator. Spearman carried on and Gloucestershire won easily. it completely deflated Worcs after they'd recovered from a porr batting performance early on.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gibbs in WC 99 dropping Waugh was pretty shocking, both for the catch itself and the impact on the match, given that it eventually cost SA the match and their place in the cup.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Gibbs in WC 99 dropping Waugh was pretty shocking, both for the catch itself and the impact on the match, given that it eventually cost SA the match and their place in the cup.
That one takes the cake.

Camel56

Banned
Richards mum dropped one of the worst foals in history when he managed to crawl from the abortion bucket.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Camel56 said:
Richards mum dropped one of the worst foals in history when he manages to crawl from the abortion bucket.
That reminds me, what about Flintoff's dad? :p

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
A big occasion drops:
Lara being dropped on 18 (I think) on the way to 501* - only in the context of the record
I remember Hussain dropping an easy chance off Smith early in his innings during one of those 200s he made in England.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting's drop of Laxman on 65 in Adelaide. Was a hard catch but may have cost them the match. He wasn't ready after drinks, had a lolly in his mouth and the sunnies on top of the head. Poor cricket.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James90 said:
Ponting's drop of Laxman on 65 in Adelaide. Was a hard catch but may have cost them the match. He wasn't ready after drinks, had a lolly in his mouth and the sunnies on top of the head. Poor cricket.
I just read about that in his diary. he sounded pretty dissapointed by it too.
But i think i have to agree with FaaipDeOiad with the drop of steve waugh in the world cup. the fact that he was basically looking at waugh and taunting him when he went to throw it up made it all the more pleasing for me as an aussie and a worse catch.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
A big occasion drops

I remember Hussain dropping an easy chance off Smith early in his innings during one of those 200s he made in England.
Yeah it was waist high straight to him at point IIRC, on about 12, off Jimmy.

I seem to remember Mike Smith on debut having an Aussie(elliot?) dropped at second slip (Thorpe?) on 0. The Aussies were about 50 for 4 but Elliot made 199 and they made 501. The series was also 1-1 at the time

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who can forget Boucher's Fleming drop? That, not the D/L mistake, cost SA a place ahead.[*]

I disagree, Flem was on 50 at that point and as bad a miss as it was I firmly believe NZ still would have won that game...but each to their own