• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst drop in history

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The worst drop in recent times is Gibb's dropping steve waugh (and the worldcup in Waughs own words) in "99

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
What's the worst drop you've ever seen?
Hmm... there are a few, for different reasons:
Chris Scott's off Lara on 17 in June 1994 - created the opportunity for a record which, while neat in that it gave the same batsman the hightest Test and First-Class score, will always be wholly hollow for mine because it could so easily have been averted.
From a personal POV Gibbs dropping Stephen Waugh had similar consequences in that it gave a moderate innings the chance of a massive reputation, but it also cost South Africa a World Cup they dominated - the grossest injustice in my cricket-watching career.
Worst drop simply for paucity - Thorpe off Bangar to Dawson at Mohali, First Test - ball coming at an easy height, no speed, no high looping, just flat - and Thorpe puts it down. Never seen anything worse in an international game (or in a domestic game, FTM - I have in club games, but that's a different story).
The Boucher one off Fleming really annoyed me, too.
So did Mark Waugh off Lara on 44, and Healey off him, during the supposedly two greatest innings ever played by a West Indian in 1998\99.
Razzaq's off Tendulkar has annoyed me similarly.
Yet the most pivotal dropped catch in the game's history so far could well be Courtney Browne off Stephen Waugh at Sabina in 1994\95 - which could well have won West Indies the series had it been taken, and with that series loss went West Indies' supremacy in the World game, which they'd held for 20 years and more. (Although we can fairly safely say they'd have lost it sometime in the not too faraway future anyway - but you just never know.)

Link

State Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
A big occasion drops:
Lara being dropped on 18 (I think) on the way to 501* - only in the context of the record.
Yeah this is the catch i was going to mention. After the drop the fielder said to the guy next to him " i bet he goes on to make a ton", how little did he know??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRR it was actually Scott himself who said that, to John Morris at first-slip (who ended-up bowling the ball that Lara hit to take him from 497 to 501). Little could he have imagined what he'd done.
It's interesting to think, though - all the straightforward catches that have been caught off decent batsmen in First-Class cricket down the years - any single one of them could have resulted in an innings of this stature.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Yet the most pivotal dropped catch in the game's history so far could well be Courtney Browne off Stephen Waugh at Sabina in 1994\95 - which could well have won West Indies the series had it been taken, and with that series loss went West Indies' supremacy in the World game, which they'd held for 20 years and more. (Although we can fairly safely say they'd have lost it sometime in the not too faraway future anyway - but you just never know.)
Funny that, you deem this so pivotal as it could've changed the game, yet fail to see the same as likely with Jones' drop in the 2nd Test...

Camel56

Banned
Richo just sees what he wants to see marc. In his delusional little one-eyed world he doesnt need to see anything else.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
So did Mark Waugh off Lara on 44, and Healey off him, during the supposedly two greatest innings ever played by a West Indian in 1998\99.
This drop?

118.1 Gillespie to Lara, no run, outside edge, DROPPED, ball was
travelling at some speed, Lara trying to glide it past the slips,
too fine, healy was leaping to his left in front of the slip

That was hardly a regulation chance. More of a half-chance than anything.

This one (on 44) was more of a chance...

44.6 McGrath to Lara, one run, DROPPED, thick edge, Mark Waugh diving
from 2nd slip to his left, dropped in mid air

the ball was moving quickly, but Mark Waugh has taken many more
difficult than that, the replay has him looking like a football
goalie parrying the ball around the post

Still, not as regulation as you'd like to believe.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Hmm... there are a few, for different reasons:
Chris Scott's off Lara on 17 in June 1994 - created the opportunity for a record which, while neat in that it gave the same batsman the hightest Test and First-Class score, will always be wholly hollow for mine because it could so easily have been averted.
From a personal POV Gibbs dropping Stephen Waugh had similar consequences in that it gave a moderate innings the chance of a massive reputation, but it also cost South Africa a World Cup they dominated - the grossest injustice in my cricket-watching career.
Worst drop simply for paucity - Thorpe off Bangar to Dawson at Mohali, First Test - ball coming at an easy height, no speed, no high looping, just flat - and Thorpe puts it down. Never seen anything worse in an international game (or in a domestic game, FTM - I have in club games, but that's a different story).
The Boucher one off Fleming really annoyed me, too.
Razzaq's off Tendulkar has annoyed me similarly.
Judging by your comments, you dont have too much time for Brian Lara.

For me the highest score in first-class cricket is largely irrelevant as the match itself was of no consequence.

However, dropped or not, the innings that Lara played in the West Indies were fabulous. He almost single-handedly obtained a drawn series for a very ordinary West Indies side.

In any event, how many chanceless long innings are played. Very,very few.

And further, what's the difference between being dropped in slips and beaten outside the off stump?

Answer: in the first instance the batsman made a better attempt at hitting the ball.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I disagree, Flem was on 50 at that point and as bad a miss as it was I firmly believe NZ still would have won that game...but each to their own
It could have had the Kiwis in a spot of bother, and made the D/L calculations more in SA's favour.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Camel56 said:
Richards mum dropped one of the worst foals in history when he managed to crawl from the abortion bucket.
I'm amazed the moderators haven't deleted this. What the **** was that for???

Slow Love™

International Captain
I'll second or third Gibbs' famous drop of Steve Waugh in WC99. Most drops are split-second mistakes, or instances where the ball is in the air for a long time, and the light/pressure just gets to the fielder underneath. This one was so egregious because it was as a result of arrogance and trying to be a showpony.

And that's without mentioning the disastrous consequences.

benchmark00

Camel56 said:
Richos head looks like a DROPPED pie, does that count?
Ok thats enough mate, its not funny or anything, totally uncalled for, however your first call was worse, time to stop with the cheap shots

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Camel56 said:
Richos head looks like a DROPPED pie, does that count?
You seemed to have been DROPPED on your head when you were a baby, does that count?

Nah, only joking mate. Let's keep the flames away, shall we?