• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Strauss - Not a bad start, chap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
Probably the latter.

Straight after drinks, though...
That means the ball was too short (it was also slow, wide, and a pie, Kallis' loosener). Strauss disposed of it past backward point with great ease.

Norwayans... useless 8-)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
That means the ball was too short (it was also slow, wide, and a pie, Kallis' loosener). Strauss disposed of it past backward point with great ease.

Norwayans... useless 8-)
Nowegians?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So no where can we get the stats of the highest aggregate runs made by test batsmen after 20 complete innings?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hard to think who he would replace. He might make the Australian test side now in place of Lehmann, based on his performances in test cricket, but whether or not he would make the Australian side to begin with is debatable given the number of great domestic cricketers in Australia who never get much of an opportunity.
I'm not on about whether he would have gotten a start or not - it's pointless arguing that, I'm on about if he was suddenly available for Australia tomorrow he'd waltz into the Australian side.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I'm not on about whether he would have gotten a start or not - it's pointless arguing that, I'm on about if he was suddenly available for Australia tomorrow he'd waltz into the Australian side.
Yes. If he were suddenly availble tomorrow he would go into the Australian side in place of Lehmann, in my view. He would probably have to bat at 5 or 6 until Langer or Hayden retired mind you, since none of the top 4 would move for anybody.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
To think that someone was arguing that Strauss wouldn't make the Australian Test side the other day...
especially with hayden doing so brilliantly there with all his failures on non-flat wickets.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Does have a thing about nervy 130s, though - 136 this series, 137 HS, dropped on 130 here (if I'm reading cricinfo rightly)...I suppose, if he gets there every time, no problem!
Neil Pickup said:
Either I've not been paying attention, that happened whilst I were on the toilet, or Cricinfo's talking pants again.
Samuel_Vimes said:
Probably the latter.
Neil Pickup said:

Norwayans... useless 8-)
To clarify...
Strauss struck Kallis cleanly in the air just over AB's head at extra-cover; AB had no chance of even getting a finger on it, though he made a good effort.
Hakon still has a point about the nervous 130s\40s, tho.
With a weakness like that, who needs strengths?!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
If Andrew Strauss either finishes this innings with an unbeaten score or else achieves his 1159th run (he's on something like 1134 at the moment), he would finish his innings and be able to say that of any player who has played at least 20 innings in test matches, he is second in the current history of cricket when it comes to test averages behind the great Don Bradman.

Before this test, he was in 8th place - still ahead of any current player with a tidy 58.61 average.
He's had a start more sensational than most, that's certain.
If he keeps this up, he could replace Graeme Smith as the potential next-best-after-Bradman.
But of course we've seen orgies of run-scoring like this before - the real test will come when the form runs-out. As Vaughan so pointedly repeated time and again 2 winters ago - and I'll bet he's incredibly glad he did now.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
replace Graeme Smith as the potential next-best-after-Bradman.
Tee hee hee.

Next: Ashish Nehra to be replaced as potential next-best-after-Wasim-Akram.

Graeme Smith shows more potential to be the next-best-after-Vinod-Kambli.

Cheers,

Mike

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of late he's been poor.
After the end of the New Zealand tour it was perfectly conceivable that he'd finish his Test-career with an average in the 60s.
So he'd be a contender - and no more - for the 2nd-best batsman of all-time.
The recent games have made that look ever more unlikely with every one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
He's 27 and his first class average is 44, and that's in the English county system. I don't think that would get him a start in the Australian test side at all, given the number of players with averages around 50 over long periods who haven't been given a significant opportunity.

Out of interest, can you list these players for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.