Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Strauss - Not a bad start, chap.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Yeah, takes his test career average down to a paltry 60.10. He's cr@p, drop him!!
    Refer to my earlier comments about not taking snapshots of a career as being representative of the whole.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social
    Yes, the argument is old and, unfortunately, the results havent changed nor have the conditions in India.

Your sig says that you live in Calcutta and therefore I assume your an Indian cricket fan.
    I can assure you I am more of a cricket fan than an Indian cricket fan. Make an assumption you are and I am not is silly.

Indian cricket abroad has improved in a few test wins and not in a series and I am not even starting to defend or speak against them.

You pointed out Australia's last two tours of India and how it was poor cricket. Now the pitches have been like that for so many tours! So why point out those two tours? It seems by that, as if you are complaining more about the pitches from an aussie fan point of view far more than a cricket fan's point of view who would like to enjoy cricket on all pitches.

India should prepare pitches of bouncy nature in their domestic games and tracks according to their own advantage in international matches in home. By preparing 'cricket' pitches in international matches, what do you want? Foreign teams come to their country and defeat them 5-0 in home? Prepare 5 pitches like Sydney for the next sub continental tour of Australia and then speak about 'sporting' pitches. When India toured Australia, Australia had one of the best batting pitches and India did exploit it as good as Australians if not better. If thats a problem, and you guys will cry over it till now, preparing 'sporting' wickets would be worse I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    I can assure you I am more of a cricket fan than an Indian cricket fan. Make an assumption you are and I am not is silly.

Indian cricket abroad has improved in a few test wins and not in a series and I am not even starting to defend or speak against them.

You pointed out Australia's last two tours of India and how it was poor cricket. Now the pitches have been like that for so many tours! So why point out those two tours? It seems by that, as if you are complaining more about the pitches from an aussie fan point of view far more than a cricket fan's point of view who would like to enjoy cricket on all pitches.

India should prepare pitches of bouncy nature in their domestic games and tracks according to their own advantage in international matches in home. By preparing 'cricket' pitches in international matches, what do you want? Foreign teams come to their country and defeat them 5-0 in home? Prepare 5 pitches like Sydney for the next sub continental tour of Australia and then speak about 'sporting' pitches. When India toured Australia, Australia had one of the best batting pitches and India did exploit it as good as Australians if not better. If thats a problem, and you guys will cry over it till now, preparing 'sporting' wickets would be worse I reckon.
    I dont really understand your last post.

Away from home, with the exception of the last series in Australia (and allowing for the fact that Warne and McGrath were absent, and Gillespie played most of the series injuried), India's away record is abysmal.

Dont you think it's time for a change?

Something must be wrong because the players have the talent.

Refer to my earlier comments about not taking snapshots of a career as being representative of the whole.
    I'd say that's generally a fair point, but unless your crystal ball is working better than mine, who's to say how Andrew's test career will pan out?

FWIW he may merely be a very, very good player who happens to be in great form rather than a great player, but has a superb temprement & a sound technique. Too early to call, but as the thread title says, "not a bad start, chap".
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar

Away from home, with the exception of the last series in Australia (and allowing for the fact that Warne and McGrath were absent, and Gillespie played most of the series injuried), India's away record is abysmal.

Changes are definitely required in the state of pitches in domestic cricket. I never said they dont have a poor record still outside India. They have improved from before though, winning tests outside the subcontinent which also never used to happen.

The players are inconsistent and that is a poor thing to be despite of all the talent. Its not just pitches which is the problem because else India would have performed far better in the last year than it has.

So what is your point?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    But that is his whole career!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    All of the wickets produced by India for Australia's last 2 tours there have been prepared to suit the home side - no great surprise, every other country does it except Australia because:

a. the TV networks here are sick of 3 -4 day tests - lost revenue is too great; and

b. football season does not allow time to do it.

India, who are a highly talented cricket team (second only behind Aus IMO) have done themselves a massive disservice on the world stage by doing so.
    no they didnt,most of the wickets provided plenty of runs for the batsman- the 2nd and 3rd test of the last series as well as the first, 2nd and 3rd test of the recent series. plenty of batsmen scored, ponting didnt.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    hes actually had 8 tests in india, 2 whole series and a one off test before the most recent one, at an overall average of 12. and while he cannot be blamed for his most recent opportunity, it must be said that he wasted another chance to prove himself in conditions where hes never proven himself before.

I disagree with that part. A major reason fo Pontings failure against sustained spin pressure is his inability to play the ball with soft hands. In his brief stints at the crease in the fourth test, he showed that he still hadnt learnt any lessons. He continued to plant his front foot forward to most deliveries and go hard at the ball.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

no they didnt,most of the wickets provided plenty of runs for the batsman- the 2nd and 3rd test of the last series as well as the first, 2nd and 3rd test of the recent series. plenty of batsmen scored, ponting didnt.
    Pity he only played in the 4th Test of the most recent series then.

Chances are, that had he played on a decent wicket following some match practice, we would not even be having this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo
    I disagree with that part. A major reason fo Pontings failure against sustained spin pressure is his inability to play the ball with soft hands. In his brief stints at the crease in the fourth test, he showed that he still hadnt learnt any lessons. He continued to plant his front foot forward to most deliveries and go hard at the ball.
    yes i know, i dont rate ponting against spin either. im simply pointing out that at least this time he had somewhat of an excuse for failing, something that he didnt have on his last 3 tours to india.

Pity he only played in the 4th Test of the most recent series then..
    and of course all those other tests that hes played in india dont count then?

Chances are, that had he played on a decent wicket following some match practice, we would not even be having this debate.
    and thats because of his sustained brilliance in india isnt it?

and of course all those other tests that hes played in india dont count then?

and thats because of his sustained brilliance in india isnt it?
    No, it's because he's one of the best 3 or 4 batsmen in the world today, pummelled the Indians last time out, and the law of averages would indicate that he's overdue for a massive score there.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Actually, the law of averages would suggest he wouldn't have scored many there, his average in India being low as it is.

No, it's because he's one of the best 3 or 4 batsmen in the world today, pummelled the Indians last time out, and the law of averages would indicate that he's overdue for a massive score there.
    except that the law of averages would suggest that he would continue to fail in india, which he has been for god knows how long.

So you're saying that a batsman who will, in all likelihood, be considered an all-time great and has dominated every major spinner in all conditions except in India, cant score runs there.

Oh yeah, silly me, I forgot that these assertions are being made in a forum where:

a. Lillee's not a great because he failed on the subcontinent;

b. Botham's not a great because he failed against the West Indies; and

c. Kallis hasnt proven himself because his record vs Australia is ordinary.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information