• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paddles

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Camel56 said:
What about Glen Turner? 100+ first class centuries says it all.
As I said, I would put him on that second level directly below Hadlee. Great batsman, but he didn't play for NZ for a number of years due to disputes with NZ Cricket over his professional status.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cric_manic said:
australia used to hate bond as well does that make as good as haddlee?
what im trying to say is we dont need australia to justify how good a player is
haddlee is the greatest fast bowler of all time but not because the australians used to hate him it because of the stuff that has been mentioned in this forum
I don't need convincing of Sir Richards greatness.

I was merely pointing out that he wasn't well liked by aussie crowds/fans because he was such a danger.

Craig

World Traveller
Voltman said:
As I said, I would put him on that second level directly below Hadlee. Great batsman, but he didn't play for NZ for a number of years due to disputes with NZ Cricket over his professional status.
For me I am always struggling to work out who was better, Glenn Turner or Martin Crowe. Turner was obviously such great player for us, and stats wise he probably is, however, he wasn't that much of a team player.

I mean Turner achieved over 100 FC hundreds, scored a century in each innings to beat Australia in 1973/74, scored a 1000 runs before the end of May on the 1973 Tour of England (which they played pretty well), holds the highest score by a Kiwi in an ODI (admittly it was against the might of East Africa), and got rewarded with a testimonial by Worcestershire which is a fine achievement for an overseas cricketer and particulary from New Zealand.

While Crowe to me seems/has/had a fairly big ego, but was a fine player in his own right. Got a centries against the mighty West Indies team in Guyana in the mid 1980s and that 100 against Australia at the 'Gabba, and for so long set many batting records (which have been eclipsed by Stephen Fleming and Nathan Astle owing to sheer number of games played by them now), for most runs, 100s and still holds the highest Test score by a Kiwi. Also his innovative captaincy and his execellent batting form was behind New Zealand's successfull 1992 World Cup stopped only by Inzaman ul-Haq. Desperatly unlucky not to get to 20 Test tonnes, and had a fantastic conversation record with 17 Test 100s and 18 50s. IIRC he finished with 77 FC hundreds and of course that record partnership with Andrew Jones.

Craig

World Traveller
Voltman said:
For me, I would place Hadlee atop the pile.

In the next echelon, players like Crowe, Glenn Turner, Bert Sutcliffe, John Reid (despite good, not great, averages in batting and bowling, he often had to carry an underperforming side), Martin Donnelly and Jack Cowie.

Next are blokes like Chris Cairns, John Wright, Mark Richardson, Graham Dowling, Bevan Congdon, Andrew Jones, Danny Morrison...
I also believe Donnelly represented England at rugby (if not Ireland) as a centre as well!

Daniel Vettori, and Stephen Fleming and I guess I would consider Nathan Astle as well. Geoff Howarth deserves a mention because during the 1980s he established himself as an execellent captain (played for Surrey as well) and was until Fleming over took him was New Zealand's most successfull Test captain.

Stewie Dempster doesn't get considered because he didn't bat enough times in Test matches (IIRC 15 times), yet he had a good record and probably deserves an honourable mention of some sort.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Unfortunatley Hadlee played before my time and I haven't had a chance to see him play. But looking at his record, he seems like one of the best. A bigger superstar than crowe for sure.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hadlee was a great bowler and allrounder and one of the few who were knighted before they even retired .

Knowing his last series was in England, where commentators are sticklers to proper titles etc., I wonder if anyone heard the commentators describing him.... :D :D

Something like this, Here comes Sir Richard around the wicket to Willey :laugh: or he hits it to the covers where Sir Richard picks up ... :laugh: It surely must have sounded very funny. :D

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
I also believe Donnelly represented England at rugby (if not Ireland) as a centre as well!

Daniel Vettori, and Stephen Fleming and I guess I would consider Nathan Astle as well. Geoff Howarth deserves a mention because during the 1980s he established himself as an execellent captain (played for Surrey as well) and was until Fleming over took him was New Zealand's most successfull Test captain.

Stewie Dempster doesn't get considered because he didn't bat enough times in Test matches (IIRC 15 times), yet he had a good record and probably deserves an honourable mention of some sort.
Played for England during his time studying (I think) at Cambridge.

Good book written about him by Rod Nye (a family friend) a few years back - sadly Rod died last year.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
IMO Hadlee was the greatest bowler in cricket history (but I'm a little biased), and definitely the greatest cricketer NZ has produced.

Glenn Turner may well have been a superstar of cricket in the 70s if it were not for NZC's lack of professional at the time. A great loss to NZC for the best part of his career.

Crowe an equal second with Turner.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
australia used to hate bond as well does that make as good as haddlee?
If recent results against Australia are anything to go by, it's apparent the Aussies hate facing Bond but I've never heard of any niggle between the Aussies and Bond.

Now, the Aussies and Hadlee are a different matter. :)

Camel56

Banned
Slow Love™ said:
... and Greg Ritchie. :p
lol Greg Ritchie hehe
Probably the fattest man in recent memory to play test cricket. Fatcat has made the transition from mediocre test cricket player to average morning radio DJ with ease.