• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nominees for outstanding fielder in

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
The Astle catch was great, yes. That was a great series for fielding, Roger Twose took a one handed stunner at Eden Park in that series too, and in another game at the same ground (went to this game) Jonty Rhodes took a brilliant catch.
Do any of the older Kiwis (probably 22 or more) remember a Greatbatch catch against England in the 1987/88 series? He was at square leg, dived up and to his right, caught it, juggled it, and caught it again as he was coming down. That was my favourite for a long time.

thierry henry

International Coach
_Ed_ said:
The Astle catch was great, yes. That was a great series for fielding, Roger Twose took a one handed stunner at Eden Park in that series too, and in another game at the same ground (went to this game) Jonty Rhodes took a brilliant catch.
I remember it annoyed me that the Twose catch got so much publicity when Astle's was much better :p I think it was because Twose was such a comparatively unathletic guy and there was a certain feelgood element to it, rather like Glenn McGrath's horribly overrated outfield catch.

Beleg

International Regular
the best piece of fielding i saw live was a catch taken by Rhodes fielding at short extra cover in Sharjah. [against sri-lanka probably]

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting's run out in the one day series against Sri Lanka last year was pretty special.

Also, Symonds and Rhodes are the best fielders I have ever seen, and do spectacular things regularly.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Was it the 2003 NW Series that had several astonishing catches?
ibelieve it was natwest 02 that had several stunning catches-most notably the kirtley catch along with hussains catch off jayasuriya and of course kaifs catch off irani.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep that Astle catch was out of this world...still remains the best catch I have personally ever seen.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
crickey said:
Outstanding display of fielding??? what have you got??

Pringle puts a foot to the ball and successfully gets a run out...apologies cant even remember who he got out or what country but I remember he had a blinder!!!!

Must have been something in the zinc!
Prings soccer touch was against Aussie in the early 90s. Pretty sure Boon was the batsmen

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Catching: McGrath to dismiss Vaughan in Adeleaide.

Running out: Heath Streak stopping, diving, sliding and throwing in one fluid movement to rid Zimbabwe of Laxman (I think) in the VB Series. Marvellous.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I forgot this one spectacular catch from Chris Harris. South Africa VS New Zealand.

Short, outside off stump and Gibbs smashes it like a rocket. 2 or so meters to Harris's left, he jumps and catches it in mid air. Extroadinary, you have to see it to see how good it is. Sinclair tried the same thing later on, but dropped it! :laugh:

Yeah. Hondo's catch in the VB series was awesome too.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
C_C said:
a great piece of fielding to see the back of a batsman always elicits a mixed reaction from me.
While i am extremely appreciative of the fielder's effort, i cannot help but feel that the batsman just got 'robbed' and didnt deserve to get out.

ha ha Im the same

Did you used to be a batsman by any chance?

I used to think about my innings all week .....I used to HATE getting out. To get out freakishly would just make me so

TazzX

U19 12th Man
C_C said:
whenever someone says outstanding display of fielding, the first thing that comes to mind is Jonty Rhodes' 'superman' dive to run out Inzy in the 92 world cup.
With out a doubt. Its the first thing that popped to mind ... Im going to try and find a video clip of it.

Well Wicked !!

Hello Masty boy !!!

:ph34r: