• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Intimidatory bowling and nonsense like that

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Camel56 said:
You might want to learn that sitting on the internet posting on this forum gets you nowhere in life. Almost 11000 posts in just over a year says it all really.
It's not done me any harm so far - and the things would be so much better if you simply didn't bother posting on them at all...

Camel56

Banned
Richard said:
It's not done me any harm so far - and the things would be so much better if you simply didn't bother posting on them at all...
Richo, the first step to recovery is addmitting you have a problem. You obviously havnt reached that stage yet.

willb88

Cricket Spectator
I think that for agressive fast bowlers, seeing a batsmen get hit off their bowling is an enjotable moment as long as they are not hurt. It means they have got one over on them.

Often, bouncers are used to intimidate and to "set-up" a batsman, say 8 bouncers in a row are bowled, the tailenders or lesser batsmen or already expecting another bouncer and are on the back foot and a yorker comes, then most will not be able to play it. However there are exceptions, I mean those batsman who have a good head for cricket logic, 8 bouncers means that soon a fuller ball has to come and they'll be ready for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Camel56 said:
Richo, the first step to recovery is addmitting you have a problem. You obviously havnt reached that stage yet.
The first step to stupidity is trying to create fantasies about people you have absolutely no clue about whatsoever. You obviously reached that stage long, long ago.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
willb88 said:
I think that for agressive fast bowlers, seeing a batsmen get hit off their bowling is an enjotable moment as long as they are not hurt. It means they have got one over on them.

Often, bouncers are used to intimidate and to "set-up" a batsman, say 8 bouncers in a row are bowled, the tailenders or lesser batsmen or already expecting another bouncer and are on the back foot and a yorker comes, then most will not be able to play it. However there are exceptions, I mean those batsman who have a good head for cricket logic, 8 bouncers means that soon a fuller ball has to come and they'll be ready for it.
If you bowl 8 consecutive Bouncers at a tail-ender the chances of them not getting hurt are smaller than the chances of them getting hurt.
You don't need to bowl a single Bouncer at a tail-ender anyway; a low Full-Toss or Yorker will do the trick 7 or 8 times out of 10 anyway.

Camel56

Banned
Richard said:
The first step to stupidity is trying to create fantasies about people you have absolutely no clue about whatsoever. You obviously reached that stage long, long ago.
I dont think you'll find that in any psycology text. You've just made up a lame comeback that makes little sense. You've addmitted yourself that you're on here many hours a day so im not creating any fantasy at all. No back to mummy's garage you pimple faced little hermit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Camel56 said:
I dont think you'll find that in any psycology text.
No, you won't - and given that I didn't claim you would, that's of irrelevance.
You've just made up a lame comeback that makes little sense.
No, it makes perfect sense, you just don't like it because it makes you look rather stupid.
You've addmitted yourself that you're on here many hours a day so im not creating any fantasy at all.
Not about that, no - you're creating fantasies about there being something wrong with that any many other things.
No back to mummy's garage you pimple faced little hermit.
Do you really think using all these close-to archaic little put-down lines makes you look like a clever boy?

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
as a quick bowler i can't stand that law.

If a batsmen can't take the short ball than screw him. He deserves to cop 6 an over. If he gets hurt, he should go back to the nets and learn to play them.

I could live with the rule of a ball going above the top of the head is given as a no-ball, but with no limit as to how many can go above the shoulders.

As for a batsmen not being able to defend himself, well if someone is going to give him a heap of short balls than they'd better expect twice as many in return.

As for beamers, yeah i agree with 2 and your out of the attack. There only two times you'll ever see me apologise to a batsmen - if a bowl a beamer, or if i'm running into bowl and lose my footing and want to start over again.

twctopcat

International Regular
James90 said:
I love intimidating/scaring batsmen and if they're hurt that's a bonus
Definitely, just see how effective freddy was against pollock on the 4th test, lovely stuff.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Yet - isn't he just as likely to miss a straight, full ball as a straight, short one? Given that the reaction-time for a short one is greater.
A Beamer, of course, you'll get your wish but you'll also get disgraced for unacceptible tactics.
Well, it kind of depends I guess. If he's got defence like Jason gillespie then no. I think the short one to a tail-ender is a good ball if they've decided they want to hang around for a while/ haven't managed to get themselves out. It's only intimidatory bowling if done repeatedly isn't it? One short ball to a tail-ender would never be called as such.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
If you bowl 8 consecutive Bouncers at a tail-ender the chances of them not getting hurt are smaller than the chances of them getting hurt.
You don't need to bowl a single Bouncer at a tail-ender anyway; a low Full-Toss or Yorker will do the trick 7 or 8 times out of 10 anyway.
It depends on how bad they are. Some actually have the ability to hang around. I'd suggest that if they're that bad they can't hit a full, straight one then there's probably no need to bounce half of the team.

Camel56

Banned
IMO there is basically no point in bowlng bowncers to a tail-ender unless he is reasonable when it comes to batting. You are probabaly more likely to get him out pitching the ball up at yorker length.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can you please change your signature Camel.

There's nothing wrong with banter, but direct abuse won't be tolerated.

thierry henry

International Coach
If a batsmen can't take the short ball than screw him. He deserves to cop 6 an over.
Oh yeah, definitely. And if a footballer can't handle having his legs broken in a 2-footed tackle off the ball, he deserves that as well. If a boxer can't handle having his testicles crushed by a low blow, then you really should dish out a few of those. And all rugby and rugby league players should be sorted out with repeated head-high tackles if you think they aren't up to it. 8-)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh yeah, definitely. And if a footballer can't handle having his legs broken in a 2-footed tackle off the ball, he deserves that as well. If a boxer can't handle having his testicles crushed by a low blow, then you really should dish out a few of those. And all rugby and rugby league players should be sorted out with repeated head-high tackles if you think they aren't up to it.
There's a difference; those are all illegal in those sports. Bouncers are not. I don't think bouncers are the equivalent of a 'low-blow' in boxing.

Tail-enders in current cricket aren't the same as they used to be. Most of them have now taken responsibility for the fact that even a number 11 has to be able to hold a bat and they should be treated accordingly. I'm not advicating all-out war against tail-enders because they aren't as skilfull as batsmen in handling the short ones but molly-coddling protection isn't fair on quickies either because most are professional enough to work on their batting to the point where they can contribute useful runs. For example, I don't think a tail-ender like Jason Gillespie (with two Test 50's) should be immune from short ones.

That said, I never wasted my time with bowling bouncers to tail-enders; 1) I'm not quick enough any more to intimidate even the most awful of bunnies (Andre can vouch for this!) and 2) when I was quick enough, I used to just prefer to get them out. A yorker on the toe was usually enough.

Scallywag

Banned
Why bowl bouncers at the head if you are a good bowler you would be aiming to get his wicket not to hit him.

If a tailender is not such a good batsman then put in a few yorkers and try to take his wicket.

If bowlers were allowed to bowl bouncer after bouncer then every team would select a bowler whos only job would be to bowl at the batsmens heads in the hope they may injure a few. If you need to bowl bouncers then its the bowler that needs to go back to the nets and learn how to bowl good line and length to take a wicket from good bowling.

And I agree it would be ugly cricket watching over after over of bowlers bowling bouncers and the batsmen just ducking and the game petering out to a lame draw.

Would you also argue that the fieldsmen should deliberately try to hit the batsman everytime they return the ball to the keeper, a gully fieldsman could just throw the ball at the batsman hoping to hit him and get him to retire, would keep the batsman on his toes and watching the ball instead of looking to get runs, same scenario.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
thierry henry said:
Oh yeah, definitely. And if a footballer can't handle having his legs broken in a 2-footed tackle off the ball, he deserves that as well. If a boxer can't handle having his testicles crushed by a low blow, then you really should dish out a few of those. And all rugby and rugby league players should be sorted out with repeated head-high tackles if you think they aren't up to it. 8-)
a bouncer isn't an illegal delivery though like other things you've mentioned. Why should one delivery be legal to one batsmen, and not legal to another batsmen. I really can't think of any other sports where determining whether you can or can't do something is based on who your opponent is.

And i know one delivery to a tailender is not considered illegal, but if i bowled three in a row the ump will generally give me a warning. If I do it to an opening batsmen then he won't.

Sometimes the shorter ball is a great attacking weapon.

When i'm batting (permenant # 11) i don't go off sooking to the umps if i cop a couple of short ones in a row. I just dish em back when the bowler comes out to bat.

BTW, I'm not saying i go out and bowl short all the time. If you generally do that you'll get smashed around. But there are batsmen who struggle with the shorter ball and as such you should exploit that, the same why you'd exploit a batsmen who has a weakness to outswinger pitched up to him.