• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket in Non-Test Nations

Chubb

International Regular
I wouldn't mind becoming head honcho of Samoan cricket....
or Vanuatu for that matter.
Lazying on a beach in a tropical paradise watching cricket... :D
That's gotta be the best coaching job in the world.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
OK fine out of your own knowledge,
in how many non-test playing nations that you know of, are the LOCALS interested in the game??

I can only think of Nepal but then again I really don't know too much.
The Dutch cricket team too though has very Dutch-sounding names and hardly any Asian names....
Even in Namibia and other African countries, interest for the sport is growing...

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
cricket just needs proper organisation in the US then its surely a test nation within 20 years.
Cricket does not need a "breakthrough" in the US to achieve that.
The number of cricket fans and players is probably already higher than in 3 of the 10 test nations (and has grown considerably in the last decade)

When you have that, its pretty much just about getting a proper structure with talent development, facilities etc.

No breakthrough is required especially not the kind defined in a way where soccer hasnt made it despite there being a good pro league with more kids playing soccer than baseball and with the US reaching the semis at the last world cup.
If thats not a breakthrough, it means the only thing that counts is whether or not a sport is more attractive entertainment than a sitcom to tired middle-aged americans who slump into the couch after work and thats ridiculous.

The game is growing rapidly in the US (look at cricinfo ) and if they can get their house in order they will become a competitive test nation which will be great for the world game and establish the sport in the US. whether its 8th or 82nd in some popularity table is really not that important

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
hey swede.. whats ur nationality.. and do u really live in a scandinavian country
whats cricket like out there

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
yep, I live in Denmark, where cricket has old roots as the national sport, but is a small sport today. In public awareness its even smaller than in playing numbers. I think some 4,000 play in a country of 5½ million.

I never knew it existed but got to know it through following english football as many scandinavians do, and travelling to England.
I got fascinated by test cricket, though never liked the shorter stuff, which is why I consider it rubbish that newcomers will only appreciate that.

To remove what makes cricket special and then believe people will become interested in a simplified game when it still lasts 7 hours is beyond me.

A cricket match was experimentally on tv here a few years ago. Denmark v British forces I think. It was a 50-over game on matting. I just knew it would fail. No drama or talk of how to get someone out instead just a coach commenting how important it was to "work those singles" off repetitive defensive bowling. It was dull and sad to watch.
If only parts of a real game could be shown here , it would be different, I think.

sadly cricket doesnt have faith in its own game

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
So do you get to watch international cricket??

What about Denmark in the C&G cup? And out of the 4000 players how many are locals and how many expats??

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
With last Thursday being St Patrick's Day and a Bank Holiday in Ireland, I decided to take a couple of hours out of my busy drinking schedule to have a wander around Clontarf (the venue for this year's ICC Trophy final), take some photographs, see if I could find some people to interview (groundsman, secretary etc) at the Lido Ground.

I asked about 3 or 4 locals where the ground was, only to be met by blank looks. Never did find it, so I went back to the pub.

Incidentally, this year is the first year that coloured clothing is to be worn during the event (apart from the usual Guinness stains on the Irish team, fish stains on the Norwegian clothing). It starts on July 1 with group games around Belfast in the north - I hope to be covering the event as far as reports are concerned and will try to attend the semi-finals and final - IF I can find the ground in time.

(actually I know where it is now)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
chekmeout said:
in how many non-test playing nations that you know of, are the LOCALS interested in the game??

I can only think of Nepal but then again I really don't know too much.
The Dutch cricket team too though has very Dutch-sounding names and hardly any Asian names....
Even in Namibia and other African countries, interest for the sport is growing...
the dutch team only has 1! non dutch person in theyre team at the moment(ooh wait forgot Darren Reekers)
youth teams are 70% local, Cricket is played by dutch people more then by pakistani's, indians or people from another country.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
swede said:
yep, I live in Denmark, where cricket has old roots as the national sport, but is a small sport today. In public awareness its even smaller than in playing numbers. I think some 4,000 play in a country of 5½ million.
Ole Henrik 'Stan' Mortensen was an absolute hero of mine.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
kwek said:
the dutch team only has 1! non dutch person in theyre team at the moment(ooh wait forgot Darren Reekers)
youth teams are 70% local, Cricket is played by dutch people more then by pakistani's, indians or people from another country.
so kwek... say if given the right exposure and marketed correctly could you see cricket becoming some sort of a major sport in netherlands considering you have local players interested..

Langeveldt

Soutie
chekmeout said:

Namibia certainly, think everyone is at least second, third generation.. Not that there is a big Asian community to be fanatical about it there.. Which is possibly a shame..

Nepal another one, Papua NG?

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
Even at such an 'English' university as Edinburgh most people know little and care less about Scottish cricket. Edinburgh has more private schools per capita than anywhere in Britain so there's a bit of cricket around in the schools. Other than that it's the Indian and Pakistani communities that have been the main supporters.
I went to see Scotland play 5 or 6 times last year and the turnout is dismal. Even when we had Dravid there were only about 20 of us there. The best supported Scotland game I have been at was 2 years ago when we nearly beat Pakistan in Glasgow. Even last summers victory over Bangladesh was a one man and his dog affair.

Steulen

International Regular
Does anyone here know anything about the extension of ODI-status to The Netherlands and Namibia, possibly among others?

I was reading the outcomes of the recent ICC deliberations, and on the issue of relegating Kenya to associate membership, CricInfo's comment was along the lines of "and with the likes of Holland and Namibia being granted full ODI status, it is clear what the ICC thinks of Kenya's prospects". Thing is, nowhere else could I find anything about the upgrading of some of the associates to full ODI status.

Just wishful thinking then?

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
The ICC doesn't do anything to promote the game to other countries. They had a project USA but scrapped it this year. They could have given USA some games to host during the World Cup 07 look what FIFA did in 94 and US werent even that good in soccer back then. And with all this people complain there is no cricket in the Olympics but the matter of fact is among all the games cricket is not a sport played during the Commonwealth games that is sad.