• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket in Non-Test Nations

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
USA had a strong team but never played a test before the second World War (1939-45).

Other reasons why USA will never be good at cricket. After

1. Cricket is played worldwide (atleast one country per continent). ONly way us will play cricket is by developing a separate set of rules..coz thts how they do everything

2. baseball is popular
3. The wont play it because the World Series (The World Cup) has more than one nation playing in it.

4. When playing cricket only two of the thirteen players on the field can wear padding.

Kimbo

International Debutant
if the americans played cricket they would invent new names for everything. eg. a swing bowler would be a curve bowler. a drive would be a forwarder. a maiden over would be a shut out. i dunno, cant think of any gooduns right now but you can imagine. for example in soccer a turn is called a turn around move.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I come from Oman which is an affliate member of the ICC...the funny thing is that the actual board organising the sport in Oman is yet to be recognised by the goverment.
So we got recognision from abroad(ICC and ACC)before we got recognised by the local board that contrrols sports organisations in the country. :I
However we do have a strong U-17 and U-19 team but still though locals are not interested in the sport...thats why I'm from a 'rare breed' :D

[Edited on 8/14/02 by R_Powell_fan]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Good to see that the influence of CricketWeb is spreading far and wide.. :D

As I have nothing better to do, I am going to find out who all of the ECB XI Squad play for...

http://englandboardxi.play-cricket.com/
The England Board XI is the successor to the England Amateur XI, which was formed in 1989 with the express purpose of giving non-professional cricketers the chance to represent their country. The team was re-named in 1997 when the National Cricket Association and the Test & County Cricket Board merged to become the England & Wales Cricket Board. Players are selected from each of ECB’s 38 County Boards.

Paul Bryson - Cheshire
Quentin Hughes - Cambridge Uni, Durham CB
Richard Howitt - Lincolnshire. Has been in top form in the Lincs ECB Prem!
Paul Lazenbury - Glos CB, Herts, Kent CB
Steve Foster - Northumberland, Yorks CB
Andy Pugh - Devon
Steve Chapman - Durham CB, Cumberland (ex-Durham)
Ismail Dawood - Herefordshire (ex-Glam, Nhants, Worcs)
Chris Mole - Sussex CB
Stuart Stoneman - Cheshire
Christopher Brown - Cheshire, Norfolk
Marcus Sharp - Cumberland (ex-Lancs)
Ian Bishop - Devon, Somerset, Surrey CB (ex-Surrey) No, not the Ian Bishop!
Ajaz Akhtar - Cambridgeshire

Hmm... need to find more productive use of free time!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Canada has made it into the World Cup based on winning the ICC Tournament in Toronto last year.

Should be interesting to see how they go!

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Oman!!.. wow!

about the cricket board.. I think Kenya too have the same problem. Thier government doesn't recognize their cricket board.. silly.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think Kenya too have the same problem. Thier government doesn't recognize their cricket board.. silly.
Which is why they don't have Test Status - despite arguably being better than Bangladesh.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
You see the problem is that if the Oman Cricket Club gets recognision from the local authorities (Goysca), the authorities will have to pay a monthly fee which in its turn will decrease the fees paid to other sports organisations in Oman like the councils for Football, Basketball, Handball because as far as the goverment is concerned it isnot going to increase the budget of the 'GOYSCA' which governs all the sports councils in Oman.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
More reasons why USA will never be a cricketing force.

The games (test matches) take longer than a day to complete.

There is tactics invovled.

You need skill to play.

The cricket teams can't have silly names, ie. Chicago Cricketers, Washington Women Cricketors, Nevada New Cricketers, Los Vegas Losing Cricketers.

I said so.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
8.The cricket teams can't have silly names, ie. Chicago Cricketers, Washington Women Cricketors, Nevada New Cricketers, Los Vegas Losing Cricketers.
*cough*
Bushrangers
*cough*

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm sure they could.

Try these :

Seattle Sloggers
San Francisco Slips
Denver Drive
Boston Byes
Philadelphia Pads
Orlando Outs
Galveston Gullies

and so on.

Actually, some of them sound a lot better than 'Derbyshire Scorpions'. How on earth did that happen? Were they given a list and that was the last choice on it?

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
The situation will be you have English, Aus/NZ and Asian emigrants/immigrants (depends which way you look at it :)), who then form a small national association.

The Top Eight Associate Members, as at the last ICC Trophy (Canada 2001), are:

Holland
Namibia
Canada
Scotland
UAE
Denmark
USA
Ireland
why are Namibia so high on that list, and uganda aren't there, you could also question denmark being there before Uganda http://www.icc-cricket.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004/OTHERS/ICC-CONT/SCORECARDS/NAMIB_UGAN_ICC-CONT_23-25APR2004.html

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
I'm sure they could.

Try these :

Seattle Sloggers
San Francisco Slips
Denver Drive
Boston Byes
Philadelphia Pads
Orlando Outs
Galveston Gullies

and so on.

Actually, some of them sound a lot better than 'Derbyshire Scorpions'. How on earth did that happen? Were they given a list and that was the last choice on it?
i like these names. i would add make the team from Denver the Denver Drivers instead of Denver Drive. that sounds like a road in Dagenham. i particularly like Seattle Sloggers. i would definitely make the opening slot in that side. i like Boston Byes as well.

cough ***Gerraint Jones***cough