• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones 1986/87 Madras

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
Anyone got any video footage or photos of this epic tied test at madras in 86/87?

or maybe you can recall your stories of watching the game or listening to the game if anyone was there. i would love to see some photos or video footage, where was this televised btw? what channel?

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
What noone remembers this innings? Jones belted 210 in 530 minutes, vomited several times and is one of the greatest moments in Test history, and you don't want to acknowledge it happened? my lord ;)

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reports are that he was batting with allan border just after he made his 100 and deano said to AB: im too crook mate ive gotta stop.... to which AB said: righto.. tell em to get a bloody queesnlander out here then!!..... so not wanting to look weak in front of the skipper he batted on and went on to score 210... In a recent book about steve waugh it talks about this

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep - Border's behaviour was disgraceful and wasn't far from costing Jones his life.
All worth it for a game of cricket, ain't it? 8-)
Least he had the decency to apologise for it.

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
some people have a go at Dean Jones because he mentioned that innings in madras quite a few times during his commentary stint in the recent Aus v India series.

i cant blame him though, an awesome effort from the man Border called "a weak victorian"

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
According to Border he said that as a joke not expecting Jones to actually listen to him. Allan Border was a hard man and as tough a cricketer as there ever was but I think he would have seen quite clearly what was happening to Jones and doubt he would have actually meant what he said. What I've read suggests this anyway.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
I saw Border interviewed about this on the 'cricket in the eighties' series. Rather than being a joke he said it to fire up Jones. Border said he underestimated how ill Jones was and now regrets it.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
He even urinated and was in hospital for quite a while after that inning..
I urinate several times a day, and I don't begrudge anyone for it! I seem to remember him saying he urinated involuntarily during the innings.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Casson said:
I urinate several times a day, and I don't begrudge anyone for it! I seem to remember him saying he urinated involuntarily during the innings.
Ya involuntarily during the innings as you say. Pretty bad condition Deano there..

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
Amazing stuff, but another question I want answered is whether there are many photos or even video footage of this Test match?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
godonnygo said:
Amazing stuff, but another question I want answered is whether there are many photos or even video footage of this Test match?
There's been video coverage of cricket since well before that game.

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
Mr Casson said:
There's been video coverage of cricket since well before that game.
:p
any real answers? Do any indians remember what local network, if any, broadcast the game in 1986?

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
up...i would really like to see this match..any Indians here who were old enough to be among the 30000 odd people at this game?