• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Jones 1986/87 Madras

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
godonnygo said:
:p
any real answers? Do any indians remember what local network, if any, broadcast the game in 1986?
Doordarshan, the government network would most likely have been the one to provide coverage.

1986 was at least five years before the deregulation of Indian industry and the entry of foreign networks like ESPN.

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
GermanShepherd said:
Doordarshan, the government network would most likely have been the one to provide coverage.

1986 was at least five years before the deregulation of Indian industry and the entry of foreign networks like ESPN.
do you know where i could email them? and how long u reckon it would take for a reply/

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
godonnygo said:
do you know where i could email them? and how long u reckon it would take for a reply/
Its a overnement run channel known for incompetency. I doubt you will ever manage to get footage from them. Try google and search doordarshan or doordarshan sports for the e mail id though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
godonnygo said:
up...i would really like to see this match..any Indians here who were old enough to be among the 30000 odd people at this game?
I would imagine most of the people back then arent dead considering it wasnt even twenty years ago. Very unlikelyfor some of them to be in this forum though.

Sehwag309

Banned
godonnygo said:

....I can ask a freind for a store's phone number in bombay, he keeps old videos etc

OR

If any of the sports networks show it in India and some tech savvy tapes it

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
sorry for not acknowledging your help fellas, ive been on holiday. in the middle of Jan i emailed doordarshan and still no reply. pratyush, you were right re their incompetency!

Thanks Sehwag, I will check that out.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The DVD 'Cricket in the 80's' has as much footage as I've ever seen of this match.

Shounak

Banned
godonnygo said:
some people have a go at Dean Jones because he mentioned that innings in madras quite a few times during his commentary stint in the recent Aus v India series.

i cant blame him though, an awesome effort from the man Border called "a weak victorian"
I much preferred the cricketers of yesteryear to the ones now. Think back about 12+ years. Mervy, Boony, Tubby, Pistol, they were all guns with personalities. The current mob just seem to be professional cricketers.

The "hard as nails" cricketer is gone. We'll never ever see anything like Deano's performance again.. Instead of condeming AB we should commend Deano..

BTW, I'd much prefer a captain to be like AB then to be like a mum..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You ARE joking aren't you?
It's somehow a bad thing that cricketers are no longer willing to risk their lives for a game?
Whether or not we praise Jones for the effort - and I'm sure he merits it - regardless Border must be crucified, because he almost cost a member of his team his life, just because he underestimated how ill he was and got caught-up in the game, which compared to Jones' life pales into total insignificance.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I was 3 years old at that time and my folks took me to the game. The Chepauk stadium here at Chennai is about 3 mins. walk from my house. All I remember is that a few of the guys took off their shirts and tried to some stuff and the policemen got rid of them in a heartbeat. I ate a lot of bananas that day. And I remember a six hit by Srikkanth that fell in my stand (not sure if that was that game). And my uncle heavily cursing Deano for playing an amazing knock and finally costing us the game. It was the great tied test, right?

BTW, it was funny when my uncle took a picture with Deano during the test against Australia in 2004 here, having said all that stuff about Deano. (IT was basically grudging admiration, though. :) )

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I was about 14, remember watching that test match..Deano's double Century as fantastic. It was one of the best test match I ever watched. Also I remember Greg Mathews bowling to Maninder Singh and getting him out when the score was tied.