Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Wicket keeper ever

England had several, and not having seen any apart from Russell, I am not sure who was better . But the best keepers for England were Les Ames, Godfrey Evans, Jack Russell, Bob Taylor , Alan Knot etc.

For Australia, Wally Grout, Gil Langley, Bert Oldfield, Rod Marsh, Ian Healey !

For India, Syed Kirmani, Farouk Engineer.
    For Pakistan, Wasim Bari, Rashid Latiff .
    For SriLanka Amal Silva, Kumar Sangakkara.

For NZ, Warren Lees, Lee Germon.

West Indies Dennis Murray, Jeff Dujon,Sir Clyde Walcott.

Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    England had several, and not having seen any apart from Russell, I am not sure who was better . But the best keepers for England were Les Ames, Godfrey Evans, Jack Russell, Bob Taylor , Alan Knot etc.

Lee Germon was NOT one of our best 'keepers.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON

Hi Jason,
    Did Walcott get knighted ?

Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Hi Jason,
    Yes. Here's cricinfo player page -

With his schoolmate Frank Worrell, Clyde Walcott added an unbroken 574 for the fourth wicket for Barbados against Trinidad at Port-of-Spain in 1945-46, which remains the record West Indian stand for any wicket. Walcott was just 20 at the time, and his 314 not out remained his career-highest. For a decade, this brilliant and compellingly attractive cricketer was an integral part of the Test team, immortalised as one of the Three Ws -- Walcott, Weekes and Worrell. A solid 6ft 2ins and 15 stone, Clyde Walcott had a commanding presence, though a crouching stance. His powerful physique enabled him to drive with tremendous force, and he had a strong defence, a peerless off-drive, and a dazzling square-cut. He was rarely lost for a stroke. Off either foot he bombarded fielders from mid-on to the covers. He served reliably either as a wicketkeeper or first slip, and he was a useful fast-medium change bowler too. In India in 1948-49 he made 452 runs in the Tests, and carried that good form into the 1950 England tour. He endured a lean spell against the Australian shock attack of Lindwall and Miller, but between 1953 and 1955 he achieved unrivalled supremacy. Against Australia he achieved the then-record West Indian aggregate of 827 runs in a series, including a record five centuries. At one time in his career, he hit 12 centuries in 12 consecutive Tests. He later managed several West Indian teams, and became a commentator and coach in his native Barbados. He was president of the West Indian Board before, in 1993, he succeeded Sir Colin Cowdrey as chairman of ICC. He was himself knighted in 1994. Christopher Martin-Jenkins
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Hi Jason,
    More to the point, Walcott only kept in around half the tests he played in or less. Given that other wicket keepers were preferred over him in some of the matches he played during his own era, I don't see how he could be considered one of the greatest keepers. And in a list that long of Australian keepers, Gilchrist certainly has to make it. He's not very far behind Healy in my estimation.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    More to the point, Walcott only kept in around half the tests he played in or less. Given that other wicket keepers were preferred over him in some of the matches he played during his own era, I don't see how he could be considered one of the greatest keepers. And in a list that long of Australian keepers, Gilchrist certainly has to make it. He's not very far behind Healy in my estimation.
    Walcott was no great keeper. Thats true but neither is Griffith. There is a big difference ihe keeping capabilities of Healy and Gilchrist. Healy is one of the finest wicket keepers to come from down under, Griffith. on keeping alone, wouldnt make any short list.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Chris Read is a damn fine wicket keeper, his standard of keeping in my opinion is world class, its is only his performances with the bat (in the test arena at least) that let him down.

C_C
    The best wicketkeepers i've seen from each nation ( when it boils down to wicketkeeping and wicketkeeping skills only)

Australia: Ian Healey
    England: Alan Knott(honourable mention: Jack Russell)
    BD- ?!?
    IND- Syed Kirmani/Nyan Mongia
    NZ- Parore/Germon
    PAK- Wasim Bari/Rashid Latif
    RSA- Dave Richardson
    SL- Amal Silva
    WI- Jackie Hendriks
    ZIM- Taibu

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    There are several exceptional wicketkeepers I've seen:
    Jack Russell, Rashid Latif, Khaled Mashud (not watched him that much, but I've barely seen him fumble a single ball), Ian Healy, Chris Read, Keith Piper, Moin Khan, Romesh Kaluwitharana, Adam Parore, Tatenda Taibu.
    Of the best of all-time, there's always talk of Don Tallon, Bert Oldfield, Godfrey Evans \ Keith Andrew, Bob Taylor (the only one I've seen extensively, and he was sensational - especially given that 32 of his Test-caps - over half his career - came after his 40th birthday), Wally Grout, George Duckworth, Deryk Murray, Wasim Bari, Ian Smith, Rodney Marsh and probably quite a few others.
    The outstanding wicketkeeper by some consent was Jack Blackham, who stood-up to the pace of Frederick Spofforth (which C_C would seek - without any idea of what he's on about - to talk down) and others on the evil pitches of the 19th-century with wicketkeeping equipment that, frankly, was unacceptible for such a job.
    Bit surprised no-one mentioned him yet.
    Last edited by Richard; 12-01-2005 at 06:34 PM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Tenth Century?

Wessex 128-8
    ATR Aethelred 36*, CK Gr§denson 4-27
    Jorvik 130-6
    NS Sig■ˇrsson 52, MJ Egwin 3-42
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

C_C
    which C_C would seek - without any idea of what he's on about - to talk down
    quit chatting rubbish richard.
    I blast batsmen and bowlers of the past because their record is relative- batting record or bowling record is based on how good your opposition are and in the older times they had a few professionals boosting their record by playing in a field that had amatuers in it. I wouldnt do the same with wicketkeeping as how well you catch a ball is solely your domain.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    There are several exceptional wicketkeepers I've seen:
    Jack Russell, Rashid Latif, Khaled Mashud (not watched him that much, but I've barely seen him fumble a single ball), Ian Healy, Chris Read, Keith Piper, Moin Khan, Romesh Kaluwitharana, Adam Parore, Tatenda Taibu.
    Of the best of all-time, there's always talk of Don Tallon, Bert Oldfield, Godfrey Evans \ Keith Andrew, Bob Taylor (the only one I've seen extensively, and he was sensational - especially given that 32 of his Test-caps - over half his career - came after his 40th birthday), Wally Grout, George Duckworth, Deryk Murray, Wasim Bari, Ian Smith, Rodney Marsh and probably quite a few others.
    The outstanding wicketkeeper by some consent was Jack Blackham, who stood-up to the pace of Frederick Spofforth (which C_C would seek - without any idea of what he's on about - to talk down) and others on the evil pitches of the 10th-century with wicketkeeping equipment that, frankly, was unacceptible for such a job.
    Bit surprised no-one mentioned him yet.
    Regarding Spofforth, I am sure I have seen it suggested by a few people that he was actually only a medium pacer (well maybe fast medium)
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    I read a Wisden article some years back about how some of the best keepers may not have even played the game because their batting was not good enough. It goes on to name a few players in this regard too. Russell is a best recent example who hardly played as much as his keeping skills warranted. If Healy and Gilly were playing at the same time, whom would you play, the best keeper or the adequate keeper who adds more to the team?

One of the dilemnas of cricket never likely to be resolved.

Pinball Champion!
    AFAIK, Scandinavian languages do not have an § character..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

U19 Vice-Captain
    In terms of quitting chatting rubbish, why don't you start by doing so yourself?

What do you mean by "in the older times they had a few professionals boosting their record by playing in a field that had amatuers in it."

Please expain this statement with particular reference to the fact that Bradman was an amateur. I look forward with great interest to your explanation of how professional bowlers boosted their averages by bowling at the Don.

Cheers,

Mike
    Last edited by badgerhair; 12-01-2005 at 01:35 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information