• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official**VB Series 2005 Australia,Pakistan,West Indies.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Unattainableguy said:
lol, maybe Shoaib Akhtar. If given a chance, I think he can be a better captain than how he is right now.
Oh yeah, good idea, make the guy who everybody hates captain!
Still, I suppose its working for India...

Deja moo

International Captain
Linda said:
Oh yeah, good idea, make the guy who everybody hates captain!
Still, I suppose its working for India...

None of the Indian team members hate him :wacko:

Whats your point ?

Deja moo

International Captain
Linda said:
It was a joke, based on his reputation as being somewhat aloof.
Thats not good Linda. Now as an act of retaliation, I'll be forced to come up with some poor joke about Martyn. :@

deeps said:
you have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! the captain should be someone who is on the field most of the time , not having a lil cry to himself in the dressing room because tendulkar hit him for 3 fours in an over.

yasir hameed is a very talented opening batsman, and should be persisted with, as is salman butt. hafeez should NOT be playing in the upper order. Akmal would be ideal at something like 7, so let's give this a shot

Butt
Hameed
Malik
Youhana/Inzi
Inzi/Youhana
Razzaq
Akmal (dpending on how many overs are left, afridi can be promoted)
Afridi
Hafeez (if malik can't bowl,otherwise play mahmood)
Rana
Rao

LOL! Hafeez at number 9 , and still there is temptation to persist with Mahmood. Luckly for Pak this guy is not the selector

chaminda_00 said:
It happens allot in ODIs, that a guy gets picked as a bowler and doesn't get a bowl, as the situation of the game meant that a part timer (Hafeez) is a better option then a front-line bowler (azhar). The fact that he thought on his feet and gave Hafeez his (Azhar) overs showed he has some intelligence as a captain. The pitch suited Hafeez bowling rather then Azhar.
I don't agree with you, nor does any former Pak players (and that includes Miandad,Bari and Basit Ali)

Mahmood wasn't bowling decently in this series, this was very clear to everyone.He shouldn't have been played in this match, his place should have gone to a batsman like Hameed who would have been more useful.Also its total ignorance to call Azhar a frontline bowler.

chaminda_00 said:
Inzi isn't the only top batsmen that bats himself lower down the order then he arugubly should. Both Lara and Kallis bat at 4, well Kallis did before the last game, now Gibbs does. The point is there is a reason behind these guys not batting at first drop. It is so they can make the most of the part time bowlers (4th and 5th bowlers). By coming in at 4 or maybe 5 they face majority of the overs from these part timers, and therefore increase the run rate during the middle orders.
You can't understand the basic problem of Pak side.Unlike WI and SA Pak doesn't have a good upper order batsman, they have been trying to find a batsman for one down position since a decade. I can't find a single ex-Pakistani player not urging Inzi and Youhanna to consider batting up the order (Imran Khan, Javed Miandad,Asif Iqbal,Waseem Bari, Basit Ali,Waseem Akram,Waqar Younis have all adviced the cap and his deputy to bat up the order) Unless you have a good opening batsmen and a reliable one down batter you can never be successful in cricket. Pakistan can do well by having the innings open with Butt and Hameed with Inzi and Youhanna comming at 3rd at 4th slot.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
vandemataram said:
You can't understand the basic problem of Pak side.Unlike WI and SA Pak doesn't have a good upper order batsman, they have been trying to find a batsman for one down position since a decade. I can't find a single ex-Pakistani player not urging Inzi and Youhanna to consider batting up the order (Imran Khan, Javed Miandad,Asif Iqbal,Waseem Bari, Basit Ali,Waseem Akram,Waqar Younis have all adviced the cap and his deputy to bat up the order) Unless you have a good opening batsmen and a reliable one down batter you can never be successful in cricket. Pakistan can do well by having the innings open with Butt and Hameed with Inzi and Youhanna comming at 3rd at 4th slot.
Maybe Taufeq Umar is worth a shot at 3.

A top 6 like this

Butt
Hafeez
Taufeq
Inzi
Youhana
Younis/(the guy who batted a 6 in the last test)

While the top 3 are young and inexperianced, they are talented, have a good attitude and are natural openers. Given an extended run to find their feet, they could be the answer. But all the chopping and changing has gotta stop.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
Thats not good Linda. Now as an act of retaliation, I'll be forced to come up with some poor joke about Martyn. :@
Come on now, there have already been bucketloads!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Never forget that everyone else but umpires has the benefit of a dozen replays, theories and Hawkeyeisms before they judge the decision and thus, the umpire.
I think u have to remember that umpire's rate themselves on replays as well. At the end of the game or a series umpire look at all their decision and see were their going right or wrong. If umpire's rate themselves on replays then why can't we ???

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vandemataram said:
I don't agree with you, nor does any former Pak players (and that includes Miandad,Bari and Basit Ali)

Mahmood wasn't bowling decently in this series, this was very clear to everyone.He shouldn't have been played in this match, his place should have gone to a batsman like Hameed who would have been more useful.Also its total ignorance to call Azhar a frontline bowler.
So u are happy to play 2 bolwers, 2 all rounders and a part timer as your five bowlers, not a very balanced side. If it wasn't for the pitch Azhar would have bowled. Ok his not a frontline bowler but with the injury to Khalil he had to play someone who could bowl ten overs.

vandemataram said:
They found a guy who could bat at three, Malik but they dropped him down the order for some stupid reason. It is time to put him back to the top of the order. Also the keeper needs to bat down the order, it will solve allot of problems. I think Inzi and Youhana are ok at 4 and 5 if malik bats at three

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
really? and how many times bad decisions have we seen from umpires off late?
And how many decisions does an umpire make in a game?

Consider that there's 300 balls from each end in an ODI...

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
deeps said:
you have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! the captain should be someone who is on the field most of the time , not having a lil cry to himself in the dressing room because tendulkar hit him for 3 fours in an over.
lol, no I'm not kidding. And don't think he's someone who'll go in the dressing room for a cry to himself; he'll probably get even! Also there's no risk in trying him as the captain since it can't be worse than Inzamam captaining the side.

Fiery

Banned
marc71178 said:

To get about 30 decisions wrong as is the case in the VB Series in the Pakistan v Aussie games alone is a shocking number. I totally agree with Bob Woolmer that the standard of umpiring in this recent series was absolutely diabolical.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You what?

In what game did one umpire make 30 wrong decisions?

Incidentally that would still equate to being 90% correct.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:

Why do we still have to rely on the umpires to make LBW decisions when we're almost certain they will make some mistakes??? If it's an easy decision to make, then it's okay, but a close LBW appeal should be referred to the third umpire, eliminating bad decisions. Sure it will cost them a little more time, but certainly that's worth going with to make sure any poor decision doesn't cost the game to a team. And secondly, there won't be any criticism towards the umpires{ either about their preference to side with one certain team( usually Australia) or their misjudgment}

Fiery

Banned
marc71178 said:
You what?

I'm talking the whole VB Series. Are you trying to say the umpires should be credited as having made a correct decision for every ball that doesn't require a decision?

Last edited:

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:
You what?

If it still would equate to being 90% correct with 30 wrong decisions, I think then we should be thinking about something that would be perfectly correct.

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
You what?

This might be one of the funniest "reaches" I've ever seen at cricketweb, and I've seen some real pearlers.

Putting aside the fact that I think Fiery was talking about all the VB series games against Pakistan, and not one...

Is it your position that 30 wrong decisions gives you 90% accuracy in a game because there are 300 deliveries bowled at each end?

You're aware that the complaints about the decisions are only relevant to where appeals are made, right? Because without one, the umpire doesn't HAVE to make a decision so far as giving a batsman out or not-out (and I'm pretty certain that Woolmer isn't talking about no-balls or wides).

Not that I can recall it ever happening, but 30 wrong decisions in one match would be appalling accuracy in anybody's language. That you would call that 90% accuracy boggles the mind, and demonstrates how irrational this debate can get.