• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond Update

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
On saturday I saw Shane Bond make his bowling return at club cricket and thought you guys all might like an update. From the sideline he looked really relaxed and bowled very well. Talking to the batters they said he wasn't quite as quick as he has been but bowled great channels.. He ended up with 1- 13 off 10 overs(2 spells of 5) and the only issue would have been the 8 no balls he bowled. He had Peter Fulton caught behind and took a great outfield catch

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Tamara said:
On saturday I saw Shane Bond make his bowling return at club cricket and thought you guys all might like an update. From the sideline he looked really relaxed and bowled very well. Talking to the batters they said he wasn't quite as quick as he has been but bowled great channels.. He ended up with 1- 13 off 10 overs(2 spells of 5) and the only issue would have been the 8 no balls he bowled. He had Peter Fulton caught behind and took a great outfield catch
sounds v promising indeed. thanks tam =)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tamara said:
Talking to the batters they said he wasn't quite as quick as he has been
Be interesting to know when the last they faced him was... must have been quite a while ago... so their memories of his speed aren't likely to be very accurate... not like batsmen are great judges of speed, anyway.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't hear how Bond bowled on the weekend, but I see in yesterday's paper he made 72 with the bat.

By the way, congratulations Tamara! I heard on the radio yesterday you're now one of the youngest to ever score a FC (or perhaps 'List A') century in NZ women's cricket.

Debbie Hockley talked you up for a few minutes just after the 2pm news I think, so you might like to download these and listen out for it -
http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/11400.wma
http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/11415.wma

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Kippax said:
By the way, congratulations Tamara! I heard on the radio yesterday you're now one of the youngest to ever score a FC (or perhaps 'List A') century in NZ women's cricket.
awesome!! well done Tam, thats mad!

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pretty solid i guess from Bond.

He is the only guy that can currently bring New Zealand back up to the top. They have a long batting line-up and some handy bowlers (particularly Vettori, who's performances don't show his real potential) but they just need that one top class bowler to give them a bit of an edge.

The biggest problem with New Zealand is their pitches.

For a batsmen your constantly playing on ordinary pitches which means you never feel settled. You only have to look at the overall batting averages for a season to prove this. Was speaking to James Marshall (twin bro to Hamish) a few months and he reckons 4 out of the 6 decks are total dog tracks, including his home one at Northern Disricts. So from 10 games, 5 are basically gone from a batsmen's point of view, a bad decision and a couple of rash shot's in another dig and you've lost 70% of your season.

But the biggest flow on effect is the mental effect's when a batsmen gets onto a good deck. Because you become so accustomed to playing on bad wickets and never feeling settled, when they come on tour to Australia (or anywhere with proper decks) where the wickets are good, they bat like they're never "in" at the crease and are just waiting for that ball to pop off a good length or hit the deck and seam back in at right angles.

From a bowler points of view, you get so used to bowling on wickets which offer you so much without have to do much, when you start bowling on proper cricketing wickets the style of bowling suited to kiwi conditions (medium pace on a spot, which will swing and seam without having to do anything) will only end up in your fieldsmen chasing leather to the pickets all day.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
"6 decks"? Try roughly 15 domestic venues!

I recommend you check out the NZ domestic season thread sometime, Black Thunder. Most of what you've mentioned is right on the money IMO, a prime example being promising batsman Jamie How and "the Central Districts Roadshow".

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kippax said:
"6 decks"? Try roughly 15 domestic venues!

I recommend you check out the NZ domestic season thread sometime, Black Thunder. Most of what you've mentioned is right on the money IMO, a prime example being promising batsman Jamie How and "the Central Districts Roadshow".
yeah wasn't sure how many venues where used in the Kiwi comp. I know James said there were 6 teams (i already knew that though) and four of them had complete dogpile tracks, and the rest were pretty dodgy anyway.

A great example of how having proper cricketing conditions can help a cricketing community can be seen within my own cricketing club.

Up until 3 years ago our grounds were run by the local council. Practice wickets were terrible (shattered batsmen's confidence, and didn't develop a bowler's game), centre wickets were terrible. We were in the bottom 5 (out of 20) in the competition for pretty much the entire 90's decade and had what was considered the worst ground in Sydney Grade cricket, and could not attract decent cricketers to the club.

A contract company took over three years ago. Within three years we have one of the top 5 grounds, are consistently in the top half of the club championships (including a 4th in 03/04), have won a first grade premiership in one of the strongest non-proffesional club competition in the world. We've also been able to recruit Brad Haddin and Aaron O'Brien (NSW fringe player) into our team along with a handful of top performing first grade cricketers.

It works at all levels and is without a doubt the biggest thing holding the Kiwi's back. I could garuantee if the NZ Cricket Board (whatever they're called) put an inquiry into the New Zealand ground's and fixed them up, there'd be many more Shane Bond's coming through the ranks. Admittedly the perennial rain doesn't help you guys.......

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Black Thunder said:
Admittedly the perennial rain doesn't help you guys.......
Well I have to admit having 1.1 million of our 4 million people in Auckland is completely useless for cricket, and Wellington hasn't produced a single current Black Cap. Only James Franklin is even close.

Shielded by the Southern Alps with dry winds and good decks, Canterbury (450,000) has dominated the national side a heck of a lot more than it should proportionately.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More to the point. Did Bond actually bowl yesterday? Heard he got 72 with the bat, but obviously I'm more interested in his bowling form.

Anyone got any news?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Here's the story about Tamara from the NZPA wires (I'm guessing):

TAMARA BATS INTO HISTORY
Tauranga, Jan 17 - Northern Spirit cricketer Tamara Gould batted her team to a history-making win over the Central Hinds with a tenacious 100 in the second of two one-dayers at Blake Park here yesterday.
It was the first time Northern had beaten Central in State League play since the competition began, and a career-first century for the drafted player from Canterbury.
It was also the Spirit's first win of the season, after Central failed to reach the required 226 runs.
``She's been a long time coming. This is certainly a big occasion,'' said jubilant Northern coach Cliff Dickeson.
However, the 27-run win followed a convincing three-wicket loss to Central the day before, when the visitors' bowling attack made quick work of the Spirit's 163-run target.
Clare Connor was the main destroyer, returning four for 11.
At just 18, Gould is the youngest player to ever post a century in State League play.
Gould, from Mackenzie Country, batted right through the innings, chalking up 100 from 145 balls.
``I'm just stoked that I could go out and do that not only for me but for the team,'' she grinned.
Dickeson said Gould played an intelligent century.
``She batted right through, which is very rare at this level.''
Teammate Megan Murphy clocked up 60 from 99 balls.
She and Gould had a first-wicket partnership of 71.
The only two wickets snatched by Central were added to Connor's four-wicket tally from the previous day, with Janice Fraser bowled for 40 and Sarah Sim caught at point without a run.
Notable Central innings were played by Nicole Thessman, with 40 runs from 77 balls, Aimee Mason with 27 from 49, Sara McGlashan with 26 from 46, Connor with 30 from 37 and Rachel Priest, 28 from 33.

C_C

International Captain
Good to hear that Bond is on his way to recovery.
I really really would like to see him play 50-60 tests atleast (long shot i admit)...
he is an awesome bowler when he is fully fit and i think he has the ability to be an alltime great.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Thanks. Still not the end of season and would love to back it up now. But yes it is a pretty awesome record to get. And I will remember the feeling forever

bryce

International Regular
hey tamara you know janice(i take it you do since you opened with her haha) she's my mate, also tessa hickson used to play in my team at school and isn't very good IMO and nicky browne went to matamata college when i was there in 3rd form
well done btw

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Yes I know all of them quite well. Was at uni with tessa last year and we ended up living in the same hall.

bryce

International Regular
oh yeah, in the nets tessa always told us not to bowl too fast lol, i play for the same club as janice - she's been in really good form but i don't think she is an opener

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think she batted really well on sunday. Was great being down the other end and watching her play some of those shots. BUt yes you could look at it that way. She is a good opener while the field has to be up. And good to get off to a flier sometimes. BUt sometimes her wicket would be valuable at 5/6