• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sloggin' Batsman = Good Batsman ?

Swervy

International Captain
Black Thunder said:
yeah great innings. A lot of good hitting, a bit of slogging. Wouldn't call it a pure slog-a-thon, but it's too early in the morning to rack my brain for 100% accuracy.

good job I am not one of the pedantic souls who drift around these parts then!!! :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There is no such thing as a slogger (or rather someone who is ALWAYS slogging)!!

There is a slog. Its a way a stroke played by a batsman may be classified. Even a batsman like Sachin or Lara or Ponting can slog. But we dont call them sloggers because thats not what they do most of the time. But doesnt mean they will never slog.

Similarly, we may call someone a slogger. Take ASfridi's case. It doesnt mean every time Afridi plays a shot he slogs. It doesnt mean Afridi can play no cricketing shots other than pure slogs.

And finally improvisation has to be differentiated from slogging. When Afridi picks up a ball from the off stump amd flicks it to mid wicket, could be improvisationm. just because he slogs too doesnt mean that even when he plays cricketing shots or improvises thougtfully we should term it as a slog.

When I talked of three shota for one ball and one shot for the balls, I waas difernetiating between the capability to improvisin SUCCESSFULY and consistently versus slogging where the batsman has made up his mind where he his going to hit the ball and he doesnt do it taking into account wjere the ball is coming from or what it is doing.

To hit a ball unconventionally but intentionaly with a clear idea what youare doing and why AND in the full knowledge of what the ball is doing is imrovisation, but doing the same thing predeterminedly with no other consideration is slogging.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
Richard,

Is Astle's innings one of the best chanceless innings you have seen?
Astle's innings is far, far, far, far, far better than anything I've ever seen.
Never seen anything that comes close.
Remember, though, an innings has to be chanceless to me for it to mean anything more than the score when the first chance was given.
I don't think a 300* is that good if the player should have been out on 13 - because good as the 287* may have been, it wouldn't have happened but for the let-off.
Astle, however, gave not one hint of a chance (well, some people tried to say the flick that hit Ramprakash on the body at short-leg before he had the slightest chance of moving his hands was one - but I know better, of course) and hit the ball with consistent venom the like of which I've never seen anyone come close to.

EDIT: the "I know better" comment is TIC, in case anyone may doubt