• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sloggin' Batsman = Good Batsman ?

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
Given the popularity and the amount of One Day cricket played has led to the rise of batsmen who are known to have 'a one day mind set'. We know these batsmen know generally and actually do better when they play best what most commentators also refer to - is their 'natural game'.

For instance batsmen like Cairns, Gayle, Sehwag, Gilchrist (to cite a few), play generally in the same fashion whether batting in One Day or Test.

No matter, how thrilling it might be to watch these players hit (and sad to watch when they often hit and miss), I don't particularly rate them as great batsman (and again this could be just my opinion).

Obviously, then there are other batsmen in contrast like Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid, Kallis (to cite a few) who I simply adore watching everytime they bat.

Which league of these batsmen in your opinion is better than the other?

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see why a batsman who plays aggressively in Test cricket can't be considered a good batsman or even a great one. Is Viv Richards not a great batsman in your estimation?

cricket player

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't see why a batsman who plays aggressively in Test cricket can't be considered a good batsman or even a great one. Is Viv Richards not a great batsman in your estimation?
what he is trying to say is playing cricket classicly take's alot of effort while playing cricket slogging.
I got his point.I believe that he is right because you can easily clear the boundry by hitting the bowl high in the air while it is hard to play like dravid and hit boundrie's.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But that doesn't make a technically correct player better than an ultra-attacking player.

One other thing is that Gilchrist is not a slogger in Tests. He plays some genuine cricket strokes, albeit lofted at times.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But that doesn't make a technically correct player better than an ultra-attacking player.

One other thing is that Gilchrist is not a slogger in Tests. He plays some genuine cricket strokes, albeit lofted at times.

I think gilli is a SLogger and a very lucky one.... he plays more slogs than correct cricketing shots with pure timing.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nookie_lk said:
I think gilli is a SLogger and a very lucky one.... he plays more slogs than correct cricketing shots with pure timing.
What is a slogger in your terms ?

It appears from your post that one who plays 'non-cricketing' shots is a slogger. If so one needs to again be clear as to what is a non-cricketing shot. Would it be a shot which is a relatively risky shot or a shot which was not originally (classically, by orthodox standards etc) played to the same deliveries, a cross bat shot where a straigh bat one would suffice, a drive in the air a la Sehwag where a ground shot would be considered a cricketing shot ??

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist plays all cricketing shots. Cover drive which he plays along the ground more often than many modern batsmen,say Sehwag or Jayasuriya, on drives which he plays very competently, square cuts which he plays more on the ground than Tendulkar, pulls which he plays so early that he is able to pull to mid wicket so very often.

Its his tremendous eye sight and extremely quick judgement of length(better than almost anyone playing today than Lara) that makes him be in a position quick enough to execute an agressive stroke. A fraction of a second slower in response and an agressive shot would be difficult to execute to a lot of those deliveries and a defensive shot or a push would be the option. This is what separates him from other batsmen and this is the secret of his agression unlike the 'slogger' who just decides to hit the ball with a degree of pre-commitment like say Shahid Afridi.

It is to deny Gilchrist his great gift of eyesight and quicksilver judgement allied with superb strokes, timing and power if we say he is a lucky slogger. Worse, it is to deny ourselves the pleasure of watching with admiration and deriving pleasure from one of cricket's most gifted stroke players.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hehe Gilchrist isn't a slogger he just hits the ball hard and in the air sometimes, almost always regular cricket shots though

cricket player

International Debutant
SJS said:

It appears from your post that one who plays 'non-cricketing' shots is a slogger. If so one needs to again be clear as to what is a non-cricketing shot. Would it be a shot which is a relatively risky shot or a shot which was not originally (classically, by orthodox standards etc) played to the same deliveries, a cross bat shot where a straigh bat one would suffice, a drive in the air a la Sehwag where a ground shot would be considered a cricketing shot ??

While i have seen commentator's saying great cricketing shot while a batsman Plays a cover drive.but remember in the early days there were only Test matche's with every player playing orthodox cricket shot's.
but then odi's were interdouced into cricketing world and now day's slogging is to make score faster unlike test matche's.

so slogging vs orthodox or classic shot's

orthodox wins due to the fact that cricket was interdouced with out sloggin int he olds days.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good players will always be the ones who can play the normal cricketing shots well. Of course, everyone needs to be able to slog at some point or the other with ODIs being so big, but I still think over the years, it is only the good players who have done well than the sloggers. And I include Gilly, Cairns and Freddie as good players. To me, sloggers are epitomised by guys like Afridi.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
SJS said:

yes you do have a point. But when gilli is concerned he uses more power than timing. You wont be a slogger if u play a non orthodox Shot with pure timing. Gilli is a great batsman, and he does play some beautifully timed shots, but most of his shots are unorthodox POWER shots. Thats why he would fall into the "slogger" catagory. I dont think thats a insult to him either, since Afridi, Jayasuriya, Sehvag fall into the same catagory.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nookie_lk said:
yes you do have a point. But when gilli is concerned he uses more power than timing. You wont be a slogger if u play a non orthodox Shot with pure timing. Gilli is a great batsman, and he does play some beautifully timed shots, but most of his shots are unorthodox POWER shots. Thats why he would fall into the "slogger" catagory. I dont think thats a insult to him either, since Afridi, Jayasuriya, Sehvag fall into the same catagory.
Power verus timing doesnt determine a slogger, though power , without timing, wouldnt rocket the ball to the fence anyway.

By the way, just watch Gilchrist's shots only in slow motion next time you see him and you might be surprised.

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
By the way, just watch Gilchrist's shots only in slow motion next time you see him and you might be surprised.
The last time I watched Gilchrist play the hook in slow motion, he had his eyes closed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
The last time I watched Gilchrist play the hook in slow motion, he had his eyes closed.
:laugh:

Lots of batsman close their eyes at the point of impact while playing a shot right in front of their eyes. Just shake your hand in front of any ones eyes and they will close them. Its the body's defence mechanism nothing else.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have seen Lara play hooks with eyes following the ball but yeah, I know lots of others who close their eyes at the point of impact while playing the hook.

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
:laugh:

Lots of batsman close their eyes at the point of impact while playing a shot right in front of their eyes. Just shake your hand in front of any ones eyes and they will close them. Its the body's defence mechanism nothing else.

yes.But he had closed his eyes and moved his head away from the direct line of the delivery and then edged the delivery to no mans land in that instance.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

And an ultra-attacking player can be technically correct. Just because you hit it hard doesn't mean you slog.