• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sloggin' Batsman = Good Batsman ?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nookie_lk said:
I think gilli is a SLogger and a very lucky one.... he plays more slogs than correct cricketing shots with pure timing.
Slogs like the perfectly timed off and straight drives? Pull shots? Cut shots? Like I said above, a shot that's hit hard isn't necessarily a slog. If you're referring to One-Day cricket though, a lot of batsmen go the tonk.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
And an ultra-attacking player can be technically correct. Just because you hit it hard doesn't mean you slog.
This sums the thing up best for mine.
Sloggers never make good batsmen - in Tests or ODIs. Hence Shahid Afridi in the last 2 years - used to be simply a very aggressive batsman, in 2002 he turned into a useless slogger and went from averaging in the mid-20s to averaging in the mid-teens.
There is nothing technically glaringly faulty about such batsmen as Cairns, Gilchrist, Jayasuriya etc. - yes, they play unconventional strokes more often than some, but equally they're perfectly capable of playing conventionally and generally are actually better players when they are.
As for Chris Gayle, how on Earth can he be classified a slogger? He's not technically brilliant, no, and that will get him into trouble in some circumstances, but all the attacking strokes he plays are straight out of the copybook. He's simply a very aggressive batsman, like Viv Richards, or Clive Lloyd, or God-knows-who-else.

bestfriendh

Cricket Spectator
heya

imo i dont see y a slogger could not be great batsman...as all of who have played cricket we know playin shot is not easy at all.....it requires tremendous concentration.....power...timing.....and in the end.imo a great batsman is one who makes runs.........so yeah sloggers as ya call em can be great batsmen............. :) :laugh:

Last edited:

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
If you slog the right way, you can get runs. That doesn't make sense, so I'm going to make a cliche and redundant cough with a message in between to show my point better.

*cough*222 off 168*cough*

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
This is just my definition, but I think it's an attacking stroke that isn't recognised as a genuine cricket shot e.g. cover drive or pull.

Feel free to correct me if you don't agree.

cricket player

International Debutant
LongHopCassidy said:
This is just my definition, but I think it's an attacking stroke that isn't recognised as a genuine cricket shot e.g. cover drive or pull.

Feel free to correct me if you don't agree.

I haved mention this before slogging wasnt interdouced to cricket in the early days of it.
While people use to play test matche's and they played classicaly technically corrected shot.But then slogging was interdouced in the late 80s when odi's were interdouced.
slogging is there for you to make runs quickly but then technically corrected shots were there for you to not get out and make runs slowely.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
cricket player said:
I haved mention this before slogging wasnt interdouced to cricket in the early days of it.
While people use to play test matche's and they played classicaly technically corrected shot.But then slogging was interdouced in the late 80s when odi's were interdouced.
slogging is there for you to make runs quickly but then technically corrected shots were there for you to not get out and make runs slowely.
I have seen slogs happen WAY before the ODIs were introduced. When players were looking to score quickly so that they could declare, they tend to slog. When the tailenders are batting, they tend to slog. It is just that with the invention of ODIs, the slogs have become more frequent.

BTW, my definition of a slog would be any attempt to hit the ball in the air across the line when your head is not still. Because, hitting through the line of the ball is usually a good percentage option. Keeping your head still is advised in the coaching manuals and of course, keeping the ball on the ground is a great way to try and minimize your chances of getting out.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
masterblaster10 said:
Given the popularity and the amount of One Day cricket played has led to the rise of batsmen who are known to have 'a one day mind set'. We know these batsmen know generally and actually do better when they play best what most commentators also refer to - is their 'natural game'.

For instance batsmen like Cairns, Gayle, Sehwag, Gilchrist (to cite a few), play generally in the same fashion whether batting in One Day or Test.

No matter, how thrilling it might be to watch these players hit (and sad to watch when they often hit and miss), I don't particularly rate them as great batsman (and again this could be just my opinion).

Obviously, then there are other batsmen in contrast like Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid, Kallis (to cite a few) who I simply adore watching everytime they bat.

Which league of these batsmen in your opinion is better than the other?

The only thing to describe Gilchrist as is "the most dangerous batsmen in test cricket".

If that is what a slogger is defined as then a slogger is a pretty damn good thing to have in a side

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
A Slog is a predetermined shot where the batsman just wants to hit the ball powerfully where he wants to with little or no regard to what the line, length pace of the ball dictates.

This has to be the basic definition. In addition...

It is played with little regard to keeping the ball on the ground and not much worry about losing one's wicket.

It is generally associated with a cross batted heave in the general direction of forward of square to mid on but need not always be so.

It is normally played with a cross bat as a 'natural' heave to the onside would would be but againd there could be an exception.

Its totally wrong to say the slog is a recent phenomenon. Incompetent tail enders have slogged from time im-memorial. Even top order batsmen over time have sometimes resorted to slogging when looking for quick runs and prevented by defensive bowling from doing so with more conventional shots.

What has changed now is that the limited over game has changed the way batsmen look at 'risk' in shot making and the risk vs benefit ratio has changed in the limited over game where runs win the game and not getting an opposition all out. Further encouraged by fielding restrictions which limit the risk factor considerably in the initial overs at least.

This change in batsmen's attitude has also now influenced the test match batting and slogging by top order batsmen is more common and even a stroke like slog-sweep has entered the list of 'cricketing' shots.

But generally the basic definition of slog should hold.

Thus what was/is done by Richards or Gilchrist is definitely not slogging.
Where as the predetermined heaves, even with a straight bat of Afridi could fall in the category of slogs.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Anil said:
what is the definition of a slog?
slog ( P ) Pronunciation Key (slg)
v. slogged, slog·ging, slogs
v. intr.
To walk or progress with a slow heavy pace; plod: slog across the swamp; slogged through both volumes.
To work diligently for long hours: slogged away at Latin.

:D:D:D:D

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
masterblaster10 said:
Given the popularity and the amount of One Day cricket played has led to the rise of batsmen who are known to have 'a one day mind set'. We know these batsmen know generally and actually do better when they play best what most commentators also refer to - is their 'natural game'.

For instance batsmen like Cairns, Gayle, Sehwag, Gilchrist (to cite a few), play generally in the same fashion whether batting in One Day or Test.

No matter, how thrilling it might be to watch these players hit (and sad to watch when they often hit and miss), I don't particularly rate them as great batsman (and again this could be just my opinion).

Obviously, then there are other batsmen in contrast like Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid, Kallis (to cite a few) who I simply adore watching everytime they bat.

Which league of these batsmen in your opinion is better than the other?

Something that Gilchrist can be described as is "the most dangerous batsmen in test cricket".

If that is what you define a "slogger" as, then being a "slogger" is a pretty damn good thing !

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
v. intr.

Prominent sloggers at cricket.

Hanif Mohammad
Geoffrey Boycott
Ken Mackay
Trevor Bailey

:sleep:

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Gilchrist is a new breed of batsmen who take their chances at any given time. There have been many sloggers before him aswell but not as consistent, but Gilchrist has time and time proved again that he may play like a slogger, but hes damn good at it. What looks a lucky shot for tech savvy batsmen, is just a normal shot for him. I think Shewag is another batsmen who will be as good at Gilchrist with some time. If they continue to get away with their lucky shots all the time, then its not luck, its just that they are very good at how they play.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
essentially you if you can slog whilst retaining control and responsibility and play well i suppose you would be a good batsman, although the best batsman are the ones that do not have to slog.

bestfriendh

Cricket Spectator
sledger said:
essentially you if you can slog whilst retaining control and responsibility and play well i suppose you would be a good batsman, although the best batsman are the ones that do not have to slog.

WAT...........i have seen sachin slog.......lara slog........and remember steve waugh with his slog sweep???..........slogging is a very effective run gettin technique which all the great batsmen have used in some point of time.......... :) :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
v. intr.
To walk or progress with a slow heavy pace; plod: slog across the swamp; slogged through both volumes.

thanks man, that was enlightening.... :D