• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team Coach can be part of playing eleven (on field)?

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
In yesterday's OFFICIAL match... Rest of the World vs Asian XI, while Asian XI were batting Steve Waugh (Rest of the World coach) was allowed to field while the actual game was going on. He was there for an over or two.

Now, I don't recall if that is allowed in an OFFICIAL ODI match, can someone throw some light on this?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Graham Gooch aged 50-something fielded for Essex in the CC a couple of seasons back due to lack of any other fit male available and not incarcerated.

There was also the case of an Irish journalist fielding in the ICC Trophy in Canada due to everyone else being broken... no rules against it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
masterblaster10 said:
Thanks for citing the cases. But does anyone know this to be officially permitted?
guess so :)
Providing they are of the correct nationality, and are employed by the club in question

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
1. Substitutes and runners
(a) If the umpires are satisfied that a player has been injured or become ill after the nomination of the players, they shall allow that player to have
(i) a substitute acting instead of him in the field.
(ii) a runner when batting.
Any injury or illness that occurs at any time after the nomination of the players until the conclusion of the match shall be allowable, irrespective of whether play is in progress or not.

(b) The umpires shall have discretion, for other wholly acceptable reasons, to allow a substitute for a fielder, or a runner for a batsman, at the start of the match or at any subsequent time.

(c) A player wishing to change his shirt, boots, etc. must leave the field to do so. No substitute shall be allowed for him.

2. Objection to substitutes
The opposing captain shall have no right of objection to any player acting as a substitute on the field, nor as to where the substitute shall field. However, no substitute shall act as wicket-keeper. See 3 below.

3. Restrictions on the role of substitutes
A substitute shall not be allowed to bat or bowl nor to act as wicket-keeper or as captain on the field of play.

There is no law regarding who your substitute(s) must be - hence the case of the Danish lad, Fredrik Klokker, fielding for England at the Lord's Test.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
During a test in India in 1988, all of New Zealand's offside field forward of point was made up with press representatives or team officials, due to a stomach bug affecting the team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster10 said:
Thanks for citing the cases. But does anyone know this to be officially permitted?
Yes, they are.

I'm sure England's physio and kitman both had a go in one tour game a few years ago.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
whoa, thats awesome!!

thanks Neil and others for shedding some light on that story, I had no idea. cool, thankyou.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I'm sure England's physio and kitman both had a go in one tour game a few years ago.
IIRR it was the Australia "A" game at Hobart in 2002\03.
Almost inevitably given the injury crisis, the physio (Kirk Russell I think) broke his finger in practice for the eventuality.