• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tree at canterbury blown over

Sudeep

International Captain
That tree made a picturesque sign for the ground. As a fielder, one would have loved to field from under it. Sad that it isn't there anymore.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I hope this tree gets into the Wisden's births and deaths list. If a cat can, surely a tree can too :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scientifically speaking, a cat is classified as a living, breathing mammal; a tree is simply a living, photosynthesising plant.
Then again, it's not unusual for cricket to think it's above science, is it? 8-)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Scientifically speaking, a cat is classified as a living, breathing mammal; a tree is simply a living, photosynthesising plant.
Then again, it's not unusual for cricket to think it's above science, is it? 8-)
Scientifically speaking, both are living. And also scientifically speaking, in Births and Deaths of cricketers' a cat and W.G.'s mom should have no place :D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently it would have died around 2007 anyway - perhaps it wanted to go out with a bang, or crash.

Only 3 people ever cleared it though, Learie Constantine, Jim Smith and Carl Hooper/

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
i guess im the only one who thinks 'good riddance?'

What sort of professional game has a tree in on the playing field? it was amaturish and i hope its not replaced. :@

Gangster

U19 12th Man
This is the dumbest thing ever. Is this a cricket forum or a Greenpeace forum? It was a tree. Get over it. At the same time that two West Indian legends passed away, people want to discuss a tree? Incredible. :@

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah me too.. Not as bad as some places I have seen, but I find it very pointless to have a tree in the way..

This is a cricket ground near me in Somerset in winter.. The square is the browny area that is slightly to the right..

Attachments

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Gangster said:
This is the dumbest thing ever. Is this a cricket forum or a Greenpeace forum? It was a tree. Get over it. At the same time that two West Indian legends passed away, people want to discuss a tree? Incredible. :@
shut up.

Who are you to decide who or what we discuss? nothing stops you starting your own thread about anyone who passed away recently. :blowup:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I have heard that Sir Colin Cowdrey was one of those who prevented the tree getting the chop some years ago .

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Gangster said:
It wasn't JUST A TREE. It added to the history and folklore of the game. You obviously have no appreciation of either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Scientifically speaking, both are living.
Y-e-e-e-e-s-s-s, I know that - but they are different living things and none in the group in which trees fit have ever appeared in B&D before.
And also scientifically speaking, in Births and Deaths of cricketers' a cat and W.G.'s mom should have no place :D
Why scientifically speaking?
What's that to do with science?

twctopcat

International Regular
JASON said:
I have heard that Sir Colin Cowdrey was one of those who prevented the tree getting the chop some years ago .
Cowdrey is not out nought. Naughton is not in. Knott is in and is nought for not out. Brilliant.