• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tree at canterbury blown over

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Y-e-e-e-e-s-s-s, I know that - but they are different living things and none in the group in which trees fit have ever appeared in B&D before.
And how many cats appeared before the lords cat? There is ALWAYS a first time.

Why scientifically speaking?
What's that to do with science?
Scientificially is also like technically. DUH.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Imagine a bloody tree on a professional football pitch!
I think i answered that already in this thread :p

OTOH i sort of agree with you, but i'm not sure that it has that much affect on any games that are played there - for most OD games the tree tends to be outside the boundary IIRC, and its good that tradition is still important in today's game, even if it is misdirected

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
In my opinion, I can't see why another tree has been planted. Fine, the old tree should never have been chopped down, and wasn't but it has finished it's glory days and to be honest a new one shouldn't really be planted. Even so, you'd think it would be planted further back so the tree is right on the boundary rather than two-three metres inside it at times (or maybe it has)?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree.
Why couldn't the old tree just have been made into some furniature that's kept somewhere at the ground?
The old tree was part of the folklore - a new one will just, really, be an attempt to cheaply immitate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Whats the whole point?

You can't "make" tradition, its gone!
By keeping the "souveniours" at the ground, you could at least keep some hold on it.