• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2 aus teams???

bestfriendh

Cricket Spectator
guys as was listed in the forums...there r sooo many aus players who r world class level but are not playin.......i juss thought maybe have a second aus team as well...........tht will improve the competetion in cricket......wat say guys??? :laugh: 8-)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been here. Killed this. I don't see how players can be labelled as world class if they've not gotten much of a chance at international level.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Funnily enough, it's already happened a decade ago. Well, kinda. The 1994/5 ODI World Series was contested between Australia, Australia 'A', England & Zimbabwe. The final table ended us thus:

Team P W L NR T Pts N/R/R
Australia 6 5 1 - - 10 0.43
Australia A 6 3 3 - - 6 0.09
England 6 3 3 - - 6 0.08
Zimbabwe 6 1 5 - - 2 -0.59

Meaning Aus played Aus 'A' in the final!! :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, eh?
Australia "A" played ODIs?
You might just notice that the matches weren't actually ODIs.
And as such you can hardly expect that England were taking them too seriously (not exactly like England took even real ODIs that seriously back then).

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Err, eh?
Australia "A" played ODIs?
You might just notice that the matches weren't actually ODIs.
And as such you can hardly expect that England were taking them too seriously (not exactly like England took even real ODIs that seriously back then).
are you saying that the Englishman didn't try in these games? that's a ****ing **** poor excuse mate... real sad

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
are you saying that the Englishman didn't try in these games? that's a ****ing **** poor excuse mate... real sad
Agreed Slats, I watched those matches and the English side didn't look particularly thilled to be losing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course I'm not saying they didn't mind losing at all - but a game against an "A" side is hardly something that is likely to be taken too seriously, now, is it?

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
australia 'a' have regularly beaten the sides that have visited, but when they come up against someone of good class and in decent form such as Lara, Tendulkar, etc they just can't match it. I think the players in the australia 'a' side are great and none would look out of place in the australian team, however the class players from other countries really stand head and shoulders above them. It's worth keeping in mind too that teams probably don't research/have a plan for each australia 'a' player anyway, which is of course the aus 'a' team's advantage. The batting of the aus. a team's players is also a bit too inconsistent to win games as often as the australian team. One advantage they will have over other teams is that their fielding as a unit is world class. Few teams field as consistently well as australia and australia 'a' and even the state sides.

Having said that, I think an australia 'a' team such as the one that played over the weekend would comfortably beat zimbabwe and bangladesh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Crazy Sam said:
australia 'a' have regularly beaten the sides that have visited
Because they're playing them when undercooked and searching for form.
And usually under-strength and often under-motivated.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Of course I'm not saying they didn't mind losing at all - but a game against an "A" side is hardly something that is likely to be taken too seriously, now, is it?
When it's the team playing Australia A is in a competition with two other international sides, surely they would want to be doing their best over the series (including beating Australia A) rather than suffering the shame of losing to a second XI side?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
bestfriendh said:
guys as was listed in the forums...there r sooo many aus players who r world class level but are not playin.......i juss thought maybe have a second aus team as well...........tht will improve the competetion in cricket......wat say guys??? :laugh: 8-)
what a stupid idea to have two australia teams :dry:

tooextracool

International Coach
bestfriendh said:
doubt it, i think the aussie selectors are actually stupid enough to keep the world class players out - kaspa,bevan, katich etc and pick the likes of watson,macgill,lee etc ahead of them.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
doubt it, i think the aussie selectors are actually stupid enough to keep the world class players out - kaspa,bevan, katich etc and pick the likes of watson,macgill,lee etc ahead of them.
MacGill has played the grand sum of about two ODIs I think, and Kasper is currently in the side.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
MacGill has played the grand sum of about two ODIs I think, and Kasper is currently in the side.
who said i was talking about macgill and ODIs? i included players from both forms as a generalization of how stupid the aussie selectors are.
with regard to kaspa, he didnt play in the last test and the last ODI, and it seems that no matter how well he bowls, hes always on the brink of being dropped after 1 poor performance in both tests and ODIs. of course if darlings like clarke and hayden fail for an entire series they are simply welcomed into the side.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
who said i was talking about macgill and ODIs? i included players from both forms as a generalization of how stupid the aussie selectors are.
with regard to kaspa, he didnt play in the last test and the last ODI, and it seems that no matter how well he bowls, hes always on the brink of being dropped after 1 poor performance in both tests and ODIs. of course if darlings like clarke and hayden fail for an entire series they are simply welcomed into the side.
Clarke is still in the side because the selectors are giving him an extended run - something that was always going to happen as soon as he broke into the side, as the selectors had even said he was the man they were looking to for the future.

As for not talking about ODIs, well as far as I can see everyone else was.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mr Casson said:
Clarke is still in the side because the selectors are giving him an extended run - something that was always going to happen as soon as he broke into the side, as the selectors had even said he was the man they were looking to for the future.

And Hayden has scored a thousand runs a year for the past four years - something NOONE has ever done before.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
no its not something im complaining about, he deserves to get more chances. what i am complaining about though is the unfair treatment of certain aussie players such as kaspa who no matter how rubbish the back up bowlers are always having the axe above their head no matter how well hes bowled in the past. explain to me how someone who had an ODI bowling average of 14 @ 3.67 in 2004 can be dropped? explain to me why symonds was picked ahead of katich for the first 2 tests in SL when katich was averaging 55 in test cricket and had just saved their a**es in the previous test against india?

Mr Casson said:
the topic said 2 aus teams, nowhere did the person who start the topic say anything about ODI or test teams. just because someone brought in the point about some tri series 10 years ago and everyone else started to talk about that for the rest of the topic, doesnt mean i have to do the same. as far as im concerned i didnt quote anyone who was talking about ODI cricket(or at least he didnt mention that he was).