• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fringe Aussie fringe Players who would excel in other teams..

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You've got to feel for some of the First class Australian Players out there who just happen to be playing in arguebly the greatest era of Australian Cricket.

This is a list of Aussie International Fringe/First-class players who would probably be very successful cricketers in any other country.

Stuart McGill ( the most obvious and talked about)

Both Hussey brothers (both ave over 50 firstclass cricket+ completely dominate in Eng county cricket)

Brett Lee (would have played around 60 tests by now for any other test team)

Simon Katich (its been talked about a lot)

Darren Leymann (At 34 has only played 27 tests- averages 56 in firstclass cricket..

Andrew Symonds (Would be a handy test player for most countries)

Martin Love -(6 tests only ave 47 + 1 century - ave over 50 in first class cricket)

And so on and so on....

I suppose the list is endless...

Have I missed any obvious ones?

bestfriendh

Cricket Spectator
heya

yeah u do feel for these players...especially lee and macgill............they can make it to any world team but not their own........but wat can these poor blokes do...they r performing alrite.....maybe.....if we could have two aus teams........thn there would be finally some comepetetion in cricket... :laugh: 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think we've probably "benefited" most from Oz cast-offs, although with the possible exceptions of Craig White (when fit) & Geraint Jones (potentially) none of 'em have been real test quality.

We've also had Mullally, Gallian, McCague, The Hollioakes and may yet get Stu Law & Dimitri Mascarenhas.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Gallian was meant to be the best Aussie batsmen for a long while at u19 level for them. Then he convets to us which must have ****ed them off and does crap! :huh:

As for Brett Lee...i doubt he'd have 60 caps for other test teams if he kept averaging over 30 as he does atm.
Symonds i dont think is a test player and would struggle to get into most test teams i reackon. Cant argue with the rest though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
You've got to feel for some of the First class Australian Players out there who just happen to be playing in arguebly the greatest era of Australian Cricket.

This is a list of Aussie International Fringe/First-class players who would probably be very successful cricketers in any other country.

Stuart McGill ( the most obvious and talked about)

Yes, because MacGill and Lee's records are so fantastic, aren't they? And for your information, between his debut and 2003\04, Lee missed 2 Tests due to the team being (correctly) deemed stronger without him - so I hardly see that he'd have played any more for anyone else than he has for Australia.
And personally I highly doubt Symonds would have been successful playing in England in the mid-90s (the only other country he could have played for) and I certainly don't think he'd have a hope in hell of doing well in Sri Lanka or India.
Before this most recent Test, it was being realised that MacGill is nothing but an extremely ordinary bowler who wouldn't get anywhere near a decent Test-team. Sadly people now seem to have gone back to the "but for Warne he'd have played 100 Tests" rubbish.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's no way to say those players would excel in Test Cricket.

eg the Hussey's - well, look at the names of those Englishmen that have dominated in the recent past, and look how poor their International records are.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
but it's the best indication marc... of course u can't say it for sure...

I think McGill would excel... Bevan would excel... Bichel would excel... Michael Hussey would... Greg Blewett would.. Brett Lee would

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I think David Hussey would go great in tests and one dayers, he's been in good form for around two years now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
David Hussey, possibly - why the hell he's started his pro career as late as he has is completely beyond me.

Zinzan

Richard said:
Yes, because MacGill and Lee's records are so fantastic, aren't they? And for your information, between his debut and 2003\04, Lee missed 2 Tests due to the team being (correctly) deemed stronger without him - so I hardly see that he'd have played any more for anyone else than he has for Australia.
And personally I highly doubt Symonds would have been successful playing in England in the mid-90s (the only other country he could have played for) and I certainly don't think he'd have a hope in hell of doing well in Sri Lanka or India.
Before this most recent Test, it was being realised that MacGill is nothing but an extremely ordinary bowler who wouldn't get anywhere near a decent Test-team. Sadly people now seem to have gone back to the "but for Warne he'd have played 100 Tests" rubbish.
Well richard ...In response to the 3 you've mentions...

Firstly Mcgill, His test record is fantastic for a leg-spinner.....
Mcgill
test
O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 1454.5 299 4611 160 28.81 7-50 10 2 54.5 3.16

note- a better strike rate than Warne

And his short oneday stint is even better

oneday
Magill
O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 30 4 105 6 17.50 4-19 1 0 30.0 3.50

On Brett lee...
Admittedly Lee's test record could be a lot better (he averages early 30s), however I've got know doubts his record would be a lot better had he consistently been in the side. I ask you the question...What other test side in the world would have consistently left him out over the years? A geniunely fast bowler who can bowl 150kms +

On Andrew Symonds, Admittedly in the 2 tests he has had, he had no success, although its hard to judge someone on 2 tests. His first class batting record is fantastic ...

FIRST-CLASS
(1994/95 - 2004/05; last updated 09/01/2005)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 178 299 28 11510 254* 42.47 34 47 124 0

and the fact he can bowl both medium pace and spin is a bonus...as well as his incredible fielding

Also remember apart from his county cricket in England, he plays his firstclass cricket in the pura -cup which is almost as competitive as test cricket.

I don't see how you could right Symonds off as not being a successful test cricketer if he was a non-australian and given a decent chance.

tooextracool

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
yes because of his brilliant average

zinzan12 said:
id be extremely surprised if symonds played more than 10 tests for any country other than zimbabwe and bangladesh.

tooextracool

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
On Brett lee...
Admittedly Lee's test record could be a lot better (he averages early 30s), however I've got know doubts his record would be a lot better had he consistently been in the side. I ask you the question...What other test side in the world would have consistently left him out over the years? A geniunely fast bowler who can bowl 150kms + .
yes thats pretty much all you can say about lee. fast and can bowl over 150. incidentally theres another lad who could do the same nantie hayward.

zinzan12 said:
On Andrew Symonds, Admittedly in the 2 tests he has had, he had no success, although its hard to judge someone on 2 tests. His first class batting record is fantastic ...
im not sure that an average of 42 is something you would call fantastic in domestic cricket.

zinzan12 said:
and the fact he can bowl both medium pace and spin is a bonus...as well as his incredible fielding
and what a brilliant bowler he is!!
with that average of 85 in test cricket and 37 in ODIs at 4.87. no surprise that you didnt include his first class domestic bowling record either.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
im not sure that an average of 42 is something you would call fantastic in domestic cricket.
Agreed - it's good, but certainly not fantastic.

Zinzan

tooextracool said:
yes thats pretty much all you can say about lee. fast and can bowl over 150. incidentally theres another lad who could do the same nantie hayward.

No-one has answered the question of which other cricket side in the world would have consistently overlooked brett lee?

Your right, not fantastic, but very good.

Apart from indians who seem to have extremely high batting averages (but high bowling averages also), I would have thought firstclass ave of 42 is good enough for a test batsmen.

You should have a look at English Test batsmen top order averages in firstclass cricekt ie. vaughan, tresocthic, thorpe etc etc, and i'm sure you will see they average late 30s and early 40s in first class cricket. And symonds plays 50/50 county cricket and Aust firstclass cricket, and Aust first class cricket is generally of a higher standard.

and what a brilliant bowler he is!!
with that average of 85 in test cricket and 37 in ODIs at 4.87. no surprise that you didnt include his first class domestic bowling record either.
Correct, his bowling is handy at best, but this should detract from his batting ability. I know oneday cricket is not test cricket, but it is worth noting that symonds averages mid 30s in oneday cricket, at a strike rate of around 90 , which almost mirrors Flintoffs oneday record. I personally think he is a similar batsmen toflintoff, and Flintoff supposedly is good enough to play for England (the 2nd best test side ) as a batsmen only.

The only difference is Symonds has a much better firstclass batting record to Flintoff.