• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking Forward: India's Top Options for the Near Future

adharcric

International Coach
The current Indian side is full of veteran players who will only be around for a few more years, as well as players who some feel do not deserve their positions. Fortunately, India has several prospects who could make an impact in the near future and improve India's chances of success in the international arena, especially the World Cup. The following is my list of the overall top 40 options, in each area: (keep in mind that I have left out some older players such as Bahutule who I do not feel can be truly considered 'prospects' with 'promising futures')

Batsmen (listed as 3 6-batsman lineups, with the first being the best)
Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Sourav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Mohammad Kaif
-----
Gautham Gambhir
Dheeraj Jadhav
Yuvraj Singh
Dinesh Mongia
Y Venugopal Rao
Sridharan Sriram
-----
Shikhar Dhawan
Wasim Jaffer
Akash Chopra
Hemang Badani
Ambati Rayudu
Vineet Indulkar

Wicketkeepers (karthik and dhoni really have to prove themselves)
Dinesh Karthik
MS Dhoni
Parthiv Patel

Fast Bowlers
Irfan Pathan
Zaheer Khan
Ashish Nehra
Ajit Agarkar
Lakshmipathy Balaji
Aavishkar Salvi
Gagandeep Singh
Joginder Sharma
Amit Bhandari
SS Paul

Spinners
Harbhajan Singh
Anil Kumble
Murali Kartik
Ramesh Powar

Other Possibilities
S Bangar(all-rounder)
M Patel(fast)
S Raina(batsman)
R Sodhi(all-rounder)
V Mane(batsman)

What do you guys think of this list and the future of Indian cricket?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's little doubt that India have the talent to be the world's leading test match country in the near future.

However, before assuming that title, they need to improve their away record.
Unfortunately, there is nothing new in this viewpoint, as their away record has been largely deplorable for years.

The recent series against Australia highlighted all the strengths and weaknesses of the Indian game - good fast bowling, exciting batting, the emergence of exciting new talent (Partik the wk), enthuasiastic crowd support, fragility under pressure, and under-standard pitches blatantly prepared to favour the home side.

IMO, the major weakness in Indian cricket is the state of their pitches. Until they prepare pitches more universal in nature, the majority of their players will be ill-equipped to handle conditions abroad and they will therefore continue to under-achieve.

bryce

International Regular
please keep sanjay bangars name away from any thread discussing the future of indian cricket

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
strengths and weaknesses of the Indian game - good fast bowling, exciting batting, the emergence of exciting new talent (Partik the wk),
Serious?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
please keep sanjay bangars name away from any thread discussing the future of indian cricket
hmmmm.....JP Yadav was always a lot better, strangely not given as many chances.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
...Dinesh Mongia...
Please NO! Doesn't run, doesn't hit, plays out too many dot balls, just four scores over 50 against Laxman's six over 100.
However, before assuming that title, they need to improve their away record.
Unfortunately, there is nothing new in this viewpoint, as their away record has been largely deplorable for years.
THey're persisting with old, obsolete and outdated strategies and players often found wanting. Change the plans and that will change their performance.

bryce

International Regular
social said:
- good fast bowling, exciting batting, the emergence of exciting new talent (Partik the wk)
is he a combination of patel and karthik? perhaps with patel's batting and karthik's keeping...

bryce

International Regular
Arjun said:
hmmmm.....JP Yadav was always a lot better, strangely not given as many chances.
statistics wise he looks one of the better options - but that's about all i can comment on having never seen him play

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
statistics wise he looks one of the better options - but that's about all i can comment on having never seen him play
He got 6 overs in two matches, which were bad- NEhra got over 30 overs, which were terrible. He is an insanely aggressive batsman, even when he opens the innings. He's well-built, like a bodybuilder (I call him the BodyBuilder from Bhopal because of that) and hits the ball very hard. He bowls at 115-125, but tight. He's also a good outfield-catcher. One of the best all-ronuders in India, he was left out due to some rather narrow-minded selection policies- a certain Laxmiratan Shukla played- nowhere as good! He's definitely more productive than Bangar and Shukla- with bat and ball. They never picked him when he was running hot, and now his batting is not so great, though his bowling has been very good.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
There's little doubt that India have the talent to be the world's leading test match country in the near future.

I'd say there's a lot of doubt.

And what do you deem the near future, 10 years, 15 years?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's little doubt that all the top 8 nations have the talent to be the top Test-playing country - India have a population that dwarfs most of the rest put together.
Nonetheless the only countries who have ever really been on top since WW1 have been Australia and West Indies (with England VERY briefly).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arjun said:
Absolutely.

In Pathan, Zaheer, Tendulkar (still with years left), Harbijhan, Sehwag, and Partik (kept outstandingly on a diabolical wicket), they have a core of young players at least the equal of any other nation.

bestfriendh

Cricket Spectator
heya

hi guys ma first post here........well imo........dhoni is the wicket keeper for india in odi.......one more thing is for india to do well....ajit agarkar should be played regularly..in the odi team......man hes the fourth highest wicket taker for india in odi.WOW.and by far the best batsmen in odi then any indian bowler......

another guy too look upto is ramesh powar.....boy is he a big hitter.......anyway guys i know some of u mite differ.....but this a healthy discussion...............so ill love da debates..........anyways.......nice forum guys...............me enjoys :laugh: 8-)

adharcric

International Coach
there is a reason i didn't include bangar in the main list. as for jp yadav, he might still be good, but it isn't very likely that he'll be given another chance considering he messed up his first one and he's not too young anymore. what do you guys think of the seamers, who will emerge as the 3 big seamers in say 1 years time, or will we continue with this 5 or 6 guy rotation?