• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v World XI

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think NZ will take this series quite comfortably. Although there are some great old names in the proposed world XI, I think this current NZ side plays a fantastic brand of one-day cricket -They may not have the big names, but they play a very intelligent and professional game, and I'm picking the difference between the 2 teams will be NZ's fielding and running between wickets.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
zinzan12 said:
I think NZ will take this series quite comfortably. Although there are some great old names in the proposed world XI, I think this current NZ side plays a fantastic brand of one-day cricket -They may not have the big names, but they play a very intelligent and professional game, and I'm picking the difference between the 2 teams will be NZ's fielding and running between wickets.
Not to mention that we havn't been beaten at home in an ODI series since 2000/01.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Both of them were games between teams with no regular, or official, status.
Hence the standard of the players is irrelevant.
That was my meaning.

I still don't understand your point Richard, you will have to explain.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
I am looking foward to this. I hope NZ can win. I think they will be the underdogs going into this (like Aussie ODI) and suprise alot of people.

Kent

State 12th Man
Jeff Wilson's back!

A NZ cricketer, an All Black great, and now a Black Cap once more.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3154378a10133,00.html

'Goldie' replaces Ian Butler, out with a bulging disc in his back.

NZ's XII:
Stephen Fleming (captain), Nathan Astle, Mathew Sinclair, Scott Styris, Hamish Marshall, Chris Cairns, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum, Jeff Wilson, Daniel Vettori, Kyle Mills, Daryl Tuffey.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Here's hoping he does well.

That looks a strong team there. Hopefully Astle will fire, then we can have some Fireworks.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
As if it wasn't going to be a big occassion already...Jeff Wilson is about to resume his NZ career 12 years after his last ODI.

I suppose he'll have to start as 12th man, but hopefully he gets at least 1 game.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Because I don't expect that he will just walk into the starting 11 ahead of the already established players.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
If we want to win these games, we should pick players who have been in form.

Mills has only taken three wickets this season and gone for nearly 5 an over. Not figures that fill you with confidence.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I still believe Wilson will initially start as 12th man for this series, but who knows he could end up playing the last 2.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am amazed that people are not more excited about the prospect of watching Warnie and Murali bowl in tandem. NOW would be the best way to compare and contrast them and if not, at least enjoy two of the greatest spinners of all time bowling together for one team. It is one of my two cricketing dreams come true. The other one is to watch Lara and Sachin bat together.

shaka

International Regular
Great to see his return. Maybe they want to test him before the team to face Australia is named. I want to see how he bats and bowls in this match especially batting against the two leading wicket takers in test cricket (Muttiah and Shane Warne).

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
honestbharani said:
I am amazed that people are not more excited about the prospect of watching Warnie and Murali bowl in tandem. NOW would be the best way to compare and contrast them and if not, at least enjoy two of the greatest spinners of all time bowling together for one team. It is one of my two cricketing dreams come true. The other one is to watch Lara and Sachin bat together.

Fair call. Getting away from the true significance of these games.

shaka

International Regular
It was great to see Warne and Vettori bowling in Tandem for the Rest of the World XI against an Asian XI

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
All the queries about the proceeds of these games are partly answered by this article -

Cricket Aid programme

Sumathipala meets LTTE officials

Charlie Austin

January 10, 2005

Thilanga Sumathipala, chairman of Cricket-Aid, led a Sri Lanka Cricket delegation to meet with LTTE sports officials over the weekend and agreed to set-up and manage an emergency camp for 200 families in Mullaitivu, a severely hit part of the east coast, as part of their Cricket-Aid programme. The LTTE, the government's opponents in a two-decade civil war that halted in 2002, also agreed to provide a 50-acre site for the long-term development of a "Cricket Village" for 50 families.

Sumithapala, accompanied by Sri Lanka Cricket vice-president Aravinda de Silva and cricketers Mahela Jayawardene and Russel Arnold, flew to Jaffna and then Kilinochchi, the LTTE's political and administrative capital, to discuss their Cricket-Aid plans. The original plan was for a relief camp in Dambulla, but the logistics of moving tsunami victims prompted a re-think and now emergency camps are to be set-up in Mullaitivu and Batticaloa.

The Sri Lankan board has also announced that its players are available for a three-match series between New Zealand and a FICA World XI to take place on the 22, 24 and 26 of January. FICA, the world players' association, has asked permission for Muttiah Muralitharan, Sanath Jayasuriya, Chaminda Vaas and Kumar Sangakkara to play in the fundraiser. Sri Lanka Cricket has been promised a guarantee fee of $230,000 towards its Cricket-Aid project.

With World Vision (Australia) promising a minimum guarantee fee of $500,000 for Cricket-Aid, assuming agreement on a full proposal, Sri Lanka Cricket is now well on the way to reaching its $2 million fundraising target.
Further events being discussed include a one-day series between a FICA XI and Sri Lanka, plus possible charity matches at Sharjah.

© Cricinfo

Last edited:

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Did anyone else see this qoute on www.stuff.co.nz this morning.

but Bracewell suggested he was going to mix things up against the World XI with Oram a candidate to go "very high" in the order.
So that could mean that Wilson could come in for a batsman, maybe Sinclair or Styris.

So the team could be
Fleming
Astle
Oram
Sinclair/Styris
Marshall
Cairns
McCullum
Wilson
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
12th man, Sinclair/Styris

sportychic33

State 12th Man
yeah i read that. . .being an oram fan, i think it would be a great move to see if oram can play in the top order for the black caps. . though i think that Wilson will most likely be 12th man for the 1st game and give a chance for Styris to perform and maybe Wilson could play the 2nd and/or 3rd game.

Possible XI for the 2nd and/or 3rd game (if Wilson in for Styris)

Fleming
Astle
Sinclair
Oram
Marshall
Cairns
McCullum
Wilson
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey

12th man Styris.

Styris hasn't been performing to his best and maybe being dropped for a couple of games would bring back the desire and form to perform against the Aussies in February.

Maybe have bowling line up of :
Tuffey and Mills to open
Cairns and Oram as 1st and 2nd Change (with Oram proably bowling out his 10 like he did last summer)
Wilson and Vettori bowling through the middle overs
Wilson and Cairns maybe at the death. . . .
and maybe a return for Astle to the bowling crease if we need some Slow- Medium pacers

Last edited:

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
sportychic33 said:
yeah i read that. . .being an oram fan, i think it would be a great move to see if oram can play in the top order for the black caps. . though i think that Wilson will most likely be 12th man for the 1st game and give a chance for Styris to perform and maybe Wilson could play the 2nd and/or 3rd game.

Possible XI for the 2nd and/or 3rd game (if Wilson in for Styris)

Fleming
Astle
Sinclair
Oram
Marshall
Cairns
McCullum
Wilson
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey

12th man Styris.

Styris hasn't been performing to his best and maybe being dropped for a couple of games would bring back the desire and form to perform against the Aussies in February.

Maybe have bowling line up of :
Tuffey and Mills to open
Cairns and Oram as 1st and 2nd Change (with Oram proably bowling out his 10 like he did last summer)
Wilson and Vettori bowling through the middle overs
Wilson and Cairns maybe at the death. . . .
and maybe a return for Astle to the bowling crease if we need some Slow- Medium pacers

put marshall at 3 put sinclair at 4 and carines at 5

what would dropping styris do to help him get form before australia if he dosnt preform against the world XI then maby drop him but to drop a player befor a series against australia.this series is perfect for players like styris who are lacking in form to show the selectors they deserve there spot in the team and i belive styris is one good preformance away from his best