Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** New Zealand v World XI

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I thought it would have been better for Australia 'A' to tour. But would Australia 'A' pull big enough crowds?

While I agree with the concept for N.Z. to gain revenue, I agree with Richard that these games shouldn't be given ODI status.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Getting back to Warne and Murali, from what I have observed over the last week, these two guys have developed a friendship despite their rivalry and Warnie has committed himself to try and help some of the children affected in Sri lanka !!

I commend him for that !!

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    Getting back to Warne and Murali, from what I have observed over the last week, these two guys have developed a friendship despite their rivalry and Warnie has committed himself to try and help some of the children affected in Sri lanka !!

I commend him for that !!
    They have been friends for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    I thought it would have been better for Australia 'A' to tour. But would Australia 'A' pull big enough crowds?

While I agree with the concept for N.Z. to gain revenue, I agree with Richard that these games shouldn't be given ODI status.
    I doubt if the World XI selected to play NZ would get ODI status !

I suspect the ODI status would only be given to ICC sanctioned games and ICC sanctioned Team selections which represent the World or Continents.

Otherwise there is a potential for things to get out of hand here and every other Cricket Board will start playing their own selections in ODIs and beat the hell out of them to improve their Team's image !!

Burger Time Champion!
    I doubt if the World XI selected to play NZ would get ODI status !

I suspect the ODI status would only be given to ICC sanctioned games and ICC sanctioned Team selections which represent the World or Continents.

Otherwise there is a potential forthings to get out of hand here and every other Cricket Board will start playing their own selections in ODIs and beat the hell out of them to improve their Team's image !!

Yeah, I know, I was sort of reassuring myself.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Oh Lord above.................
    I thought "Rest Of" games had finished with 1970..........
    I mean, I can understand wanting to make-up for lost revenue, but really, Rest Of v one country games are such a pointless act.
    Please, please don't let the games get any official status.
    I dont understand why it's pointless? its good for fans, fans want to see a combination of great players playing together, instead of against each other, something that would never happen without these games. I think its great to see and i for one cant wait until the supertest later this year, World XI Vs Australia in a 6 day match, it'll be truly awesome, and will showcase the best the world has to offer... i dont understand why these are such a bad thing? do you have a phobia of having fun?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    No, I have a phobia of games that are laid-on against the conventional format - Test and ODI cricket is played by single-nation (or single-region - England And Wales; West Indies) teams, not "X v Rest Of" teams.
    Any mhogle can lay-on a game of superstars - hell, Kerry Packer did for ages - and there's a reason why these games aren't Tests or ODIs - because they don't follow the time-honoured format. Otherwise any game anywhere between anyone could be classified Tests or ODIs.
    ICC, not for the first time, are skating dangerously close the the wind what with all these games they're throwing out-of-hand into Test and ODI status.
    No-one with a feel for the game's history feels anything but contempt for the giving of these games involving random teams the status of "Test" and "ODI". I've nothing against the idea of festival games such as these. But they should not be considered cricket-matches of any status, same way the Packer games weren't. No matter how many snide comments the guys who took part in them make about the standard of play.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Otherwise there is a potential for things to get out of hand here and every other Cricket Board will start playing their own selections in ODIs and beat the hell out of them to improve their Team's image !!
    As I've tried to express above, it's a laughable concept, but one that, sadly, is looking more and more like reality every day, especially with this Top Team V Rest Of World artiface proposed for 2005\06.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    No, I have a phobia of games that are laid-on against the conventional format - Test and ODI cricket is played by single-nation (or single-region - England And Wales; West Indies) teams, not "X v Rest Of" teams.
    Any mhogle can lay-on a game of superstars - hell, Kerry Packer did for ages - and there's a reason why these games aren't Tests or ODIs - because they don't follow the time-honoured format. Otherwise any game anywhere between anyone could be classified Tests or ODIs.
    ICC, not for the first time, are skating dangerously close the the wind what with all these games they're throwing out-of-hand into Test and ODI status.
    No-one with a feel for the game's history feels anything but contempt for the giving of these games involving random teams the status of "Test" and "ODI". I've nothing against the idea of festival games such as these. But they should not be considered cricket-matches of any status, same way the Packer games weren't. No matter how many snide comments the guys who took part in them make about the standard of play.
    ok fair enough, i dont disagree with that, but from your earlier post, i got the impression you were against the idea all together, if not i apologise

I'm simply against the things being given official status.
    Though with the volume of the real stuff at present it's not ideal anyway.

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    As far as I know, only one "Top Team vs. Rest of World" game has been made without 150,000 people dying in a global disaster provoking it. I wouldn't say that every other nation can now start demanding it. I can't see that happening any time soon, unless for some reason another 150,000 or so people die and the home nation has to have time for mourning and a tour is cancelled and a lot of money is lost due to something out of everyone's control and I should probably end this sentence.

1) ACC XI vs. ICC XI = A fundraising event for millions who are desperately in need. If it wasn't given official ODI status, it is quite possible that not nearly as many people would have gone to the event. It might not be fact, but until you name a major event that attracted huge crowds (by MCG standards I understand this was a large crowd for a cricket game) that was not given official status, I'll have no reason to believe of such things. I don't know how large an audience the Packer stuff managed, so I'm just going on what I know here.
    2) NZ vs. ROW XI = A direct result of a tour being cancelled for reasons out of NZ's control. NZ tried first to get a national team and the offers were declined. NZ had no choice but to ask for an international side. I don't know if this will have ODI status but if it doesn't, it will once again just go down as a non-important match that I personally believe would attract less of an audience.

Other than that, there's just been "Top Team (likely Aussie, if not definitely) vs. ROW XI" which has been in the works for a long time, and

Rugby has this kind of stuff all the time. Barbarian matches. They never attract the following that a touring nation would attract, but they're the next best thing.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to have been a member of the CW Colts

Burger Time Champion!

There is a difference. The reason those games back in the Kerry Packer World series days weren't given official status was because they were rebel games not sanctioned by the governing body. The game last night was a sanctioned game and therefore was rightly given the status it deserves. Anyway who cares...it served the purpose that it was designed for.

Tim
    The point here is that the NZC are not as rich as some people think. They rely on alot of sponsorship to get them by & the cancelled Sri-Lankan tour would have dealt them a serious blow.

lol

I would be funny if the ROW lost to NZ, 2nd best ODI side for now.
    Jason Gillespie = Best Bowler and Batsman of South Australia
    CW Record Stats http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=23910

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy #4
    lol

I would be funny if the ROW lost to NZ, 2nd best ODI side for now.
    It would say very little, as the RoW side to play against NZ in this series is not the true RoW XI.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information