• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v World XI

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It looks as though NZ will play a World XI side in early february. 3 Matches will be held at Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch in order to help compensate money lost from the Sri-Lankan tour.

Apparently the players confirmed are: Michael Bevan, Justin Langer, Nathan Bracken, Greg Blewett, Lance Klusener, Chaminda Vaas, Marvan Attapattu, Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan, Darren Gough.

Those aren't confirmed...there may be more English players involved.

bryce

International Regular
great news, if the makeup of that side contains most of those players then NZ are going to have their work cut out, perfect preperation for aussie in other words

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose some people will complain that the side won't be the very best...but NZ desperately need to recover a bit of money & im sure the likes of Murali, Warne, Bevan etc will pull the crowds.

bryce

International Regular
it would be quite silly IMO if they sent the best because there is a series going on against the number one ODI side later on this year and they(more than likely australia) have earnt that right, all i hope is the team they send to NZ is a very competitive one and by the looks of it it will be

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
If it's just to compensate for the Sri Lankan tour, they don't really need to bring the best players, just good enough players to ensure some stiff competition. Could've done better than Bracken though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Getting the very best players to come right now would be an almost impossible task. I don't think the ICC would allow it considering that they've already arranged a similar series later in the year & also that players just can't up & leave in the middle of a series whilst playing for their own country.

We're doing well to get players like Warne, Murali & Langer in the mix so I think the NZC need to be congratulated if the series comes together.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
It looks as though NZ will play a World XI side in early february. 3 Matches will be held at Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch in order to help compensate money lost from the Sri-Lankan tour.

Apparently the players confirmed are: Michael Bevan, Justin Langer, Nathan Bracken, Greg Blewett, Lance Klusener, Chaminda Vaas, Marvan Attapattu, Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan, Darren Gough.

Those aren't confirmed...there may be more English players involved.

Michael Bevan? Arrgh... *Has flashbacks of This match*

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have numerous visions of Bevan single-handedly knocking us off over the years.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
What no game for Otago cricket thats a disgrace, they lost alot of money from the Qtown one dayer but get nothing, its a disgrace.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
According to a report on cricinfo, the six Aussies are Elliot, Harvey, Warne, Bichel, Langer and Bevan.

Pura Cup round delayed to help New Zealand

Cricinfo staff

January 9, 2005

A round of Pura Cup matches has been delayed by a day so six Australians can play in a New Zealand tournament, which has been scheduled after the early departure of Sri Lanka due to the tsunami tragedy. The extreme measure means Matthew Elliott, Ian Harvey, Shane Warne, Andy Bichel, Justin Langer and Michael Bevan will figure in the three matches on January 22, 24 and 26.

James Sutherland, the Cricket Australia chief executive, said the ICC, New Zealand Cricket and the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations had asked for help to program the games. "Rescheduling the January 27-30 round of Pura Cup to January 28-31 will allow Australian players to take part," he said.

Sri Lanka were due to play five one-day internationals and two Test matches, but the tour was abandoned on December 29. New Zealand won the first ODI at Auckland by seven wickets.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry SM but it makes perfect sense to have the games in the 3 largest cities. NZC need to maximise as much money as possible.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
We should know by tommorow the full squad.

Im not surprised we're seeing so many Australian players come across. Not just because their close by, but because im sure nearly all of them still have hopes of making the ODI side & this will be a great chance for them to put their hand up.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Adamc said:
Could've done better than Bracken though.
YOU GUNNA DIE!! :@
youll see... :P he will bowl very well i tells ya (thats if he is picked, which im doubting). good to see him picked for aussie a tho, he deserves it.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
It will be a quality world eleven if those players mentioned are all confirmed. I wonder if the World XI should also include a quality wicket keeper like Sangakkara and another Aussie pace bowler such as Tait and someone else to strengthen the batting (in place of Bewett).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh Lord above.................
I thought "Rest Of" games had finished with 1970..........
I mean, I can understand wanting to make-up for lost revenue, but really, Rest Of v one country games are such a pointless act.
Please, please don't let the games get any official status.