• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachinization of Indian cricket have Began!

Tendulkar greater than Bradman, says Gavaskar
Reuters
Leeds, August 24

Sachin Tendulkar may not agree but, according to his compatriot Sunil Gavaskar, he should be regarded as a greater batsman than Donald Bradman.

Gavaskar told Saturday's Daily Telegraph: "For all Bradman's achievements, Tendulkar is the closest thing to batting perfection I've seen -- in terms of technique and temperament."

Tendulkar's 185 not out in India's first innings of 584 for four on Friday, gave him his 30th test century -- one more than Bradman. Only Gavaskar, with 34, has scored more.

The 29-year-old Tendulkar, looking to push on to his third double century on Saturday, had said: "Statistically I have passed Don Bradman but I can't be compared with him. He's not a normal person.

"You can only dream of scoring a hundred every three innings."

Gavaskar added: "If you have a look at some of the film of Bradman, you see his bat came from third man. Because Bradman was Bradman, he could see the ball incredibly early and score at a phenomenal rate.

"Tendulkar's bat comes down very straight, he is perfectly balanced off either foot, and there is not a shot he cannot play.

'COMPLETE

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Finally finding someone to agree with you does not make it right, TM2. Perhaps Gavaskar is saying that Sachin is better because he would like someone to say "yes, and so were you, Sunil".

I still think that if Bradman were playing today (no jokes about his age, you know what I mean) his average would still be the highest in the game. Not 100, but 80 or so.

"Finally finding someone to agree with you does not make it right"

Agree on what?? When did i said that Don was inferior to Sachin? i only said that the other batter mentioned could not be comapared to Sachin coz Sachin is indeed much better than them.Whether Don is superior to Sachin is debateable.

So what makes u say that don would have managed an ave of 80 these days??? I mean u guys have been saying all along that playing cricket is easier these days coz in the old days the pitches were uncovered, batters didn't have protective gear and bowlers in those days were as fasts as Lee/Lillee.

Fact is that the batting today is much more difficult.With the amount of cricket played these days, no one can even ave near 90 leave alone 99.On top u have to play onedayers every now and then and have to change ur game for the two different formats of cricket.The number of opposition have increased(NZ/PAK/SL).Bowlers were as fast as Tyson and Lee..LOL .

And finally, Gavaskar might be the only one to have tipped Sachin the best ever, BUT most cricket pundits rank SACHIN only after DON!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Whether Don is superior to Sachin is debateable.
No it's not the Don will never be surpassed so stop spouting crap!

Fact is that the batting today is much more difficult.
I said stop - that is a load of bull and you know it. Anything resembling tricky conditions for the batsmen and they all go off. When Bradman batted he had to contend with a line of attack aimed at his body with little or no protection.

Mark,
Lets agree to disagee.There are various polls on websites(BBCsports) where ppl have voted for sachin instead of Don.Whether its correct or not everyone has an opinion of his own.
U don't have to agree, but there is no reason to be rude!

Lucky,
Okay i said that, actually i was just comparing Sachin with Sehwag,Don wasn't on my mind, though i should have said that Tendulkar was one of the greatest!

So much have been said about protective shields, i must say that if we are going to go just by that(which indeed is a load of bull) then Sir VIV RIC should be regarded as the best batter ever coz he played without helmet when he had the luxury to wear it, on top he had to face bowlers like Lillee/Jeff/Imran/Bothom !!

[Edited on 8/24/02 by vandemataram]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lucky,
Okay i said that, actually i was just comparing Sachin with Sehwag,Don wasn't on my mind, though i should have said that Tendulkar was one of the greatest!
OK, I'm only fooling around.

IMO, Sachin is the best I have ever seen. Bradman was a legend, Sachin is a hero and will become a legend.

As has been said many times, there is far more cricket played nowadays and two distinct forms of the game exist. This might have made it more difficult for Bradman if he were transported to the present day.

There are still many people alive who watched and played with Bradman. They say he was better, but it is impossible to truly compare players of a different era objectively.

Let's just say that Sachin is the greatest batsman alive.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lets agree to disagee.There are various polls on websites(BBCsports) where ppl have voted for sachin instead of Don.
The 2 problems with this sort of poll are 1) that it is horribly biased towards the current day, and 2) it can easily be manipulated.

I mean just look at the farce FIFA had with their player of the century. It was hijacked by Argentinians so that Maradona won the vote, and so they had to commission a special award for Pelé, even though he clearly was the greatest ever player.

steph

Cricket Spectator
Hey um i was just wondering if u knew how much Tendulkar earns....i need to know 4 a assignment, i have various amounts but dont know what one is right.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
There are still many people alive who watched and played with Bradman. They say he was better, but it is impossible to truly compare players of a different era objectively.
Too true, and apart from so many factors ruling the comparisons of cricket from one era with another, there is this human tendency to upheave or glorify anything that was associated to him/her or to an era to which they belong.

To an eighty year old today, the century that Harry john made on so and so time and in such fashion will always stand out, simply because it might have etched itself on his memory as the most perfect and well carved innings, you could perfectly find a thousand flaws but would never be able to mould an opinion. Thats the primary reason that we sometimes stick to statistics for a measure of how great really someone is, if you want to hear glorifying stories go sit by your grandfather sometime!! and i am positive that we have some stories to tell already !!:D

Dumb, really dumb. I refered to those polls only to inform ignorant ppl that ppl have views of their own.U just cannot tell ppl to Shut Up and accept that Don or whoever was the greatest and there shouldn't be any argument over it! :rolleyes:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am afraid, TM2, that's all it will ever be - an argument.

There is no way that we will ever know who was the best, because they are from different eras. Statistics don't tell the whole story, either, because the players they played against are from different eras too.