• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best delivery?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PAKMAN said:
or this,the great waqar totally out played lara ,just brilliant
Superb. I dont know if any one has figures but Waqar must have bowled more unplayable deliveries as a proportion to the total he bowled than most bowlers in history.

What a bowler.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
SJS said:
Superb. I dont know if any one has figures but Waqar must have bowled more unplayable deliveries as a proportion to the total he bowled than most bowlers in history.

What a bowler.
mad delivery that. and yea, ive heard of many unplayable ones by him, would like to see more!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
mad delivery that. and yea, ive heard of many unplayable ones by him, would like to see more!
Of all bowlers with 100 or more ODI wickets, Waqar has the highest number clean bowled in the history of the game.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Allan Donald's ball to Mike Atherton in Johannesburg in 1999, when England ended up 2 for 4.. Absolutely brilliant brilliant delivery, and confirmed Donald's hero status for me..

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Anybody remembers the Allan Donald delivery to Sachin Tendulkar in 1997's India's tour of SA when Sachin's off-stump was uprooted off the ground?

Allan Donald did that aeroplane thing in his celebrations...
For me it was the perfect inswinging delivery to get rid of a great batsman...Truly Memorable

twctopcat

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
Allan Donald's ball to Mike Atherton in Johannesburg in 1999, when England ended up 2 for 4.. Absolutely brilliant brilliant delivery, and confirmed Donald's hero status for me..
Agreed, that spell was utter madness. Apart from that any inswinging yorker does it for me.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Pratyush said:
A recent ball with which MacGill bowled a Pakistan batsman around his legs is a new addition to the list..
i thought the ball kaneria got langer out was quite simillar

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ReallyCrazy said:
That ball is overrated. Yes it spun a lot but Gatting's exaggerated reaction to getting out just hyped it up. Murali bowled a similar ball to Ramesh.
Hmm... it spun around a corner, having just drifted - late - about a foot.
Rather a special delivery, that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
What is the best delivery you've ever seen. I know you've probably seen alot but there has to be one that sticks in your mind.
Possibly this thread has been interpreted more as best delivery that has been most enjoyed - it's not escaped my notice that most have been a hugely significant ball, often by a great bowler to a great batsman.
Personally I've bowled a way better ball myself than any I've seen on TV - pitched about 3 feet outside leg (from over-the-wicket, to a right-hander - I am a right-arm seamer) and next I knew it had clipped the top of off.
No-one else realised what had happened, but me and the wicketkeeper just looked at each other, quite lost for words. How on Earth such a mediocre bowler ever bowled such a ball is totally beyond me - obviously it hit something odd on the pitch - but no other ball comes close. I am not blowing my own trumpet here, I am as baffled as anyone would be having watched it from behind.
As for all the brilliant deliveries bowled in international cricket, there are plenty and plenty, none of which can reasonably be divided - balls that move twice, in opposite directions, are clearly atop the tree but once you get them all, you really can't say one was better.

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
Agreed, that spell was utter madness. Apart from that any inswinging yorker does it for me.
It was the best session of test cricket I have seen I think.. Just unbelievable fast bowling, England did well to stumble past 100 IMO..

gio

U19 Cricketer
My favourite "session" of cricket I've ever seen is when Sri Lanka were all set to draw until Ashley Giles got two wickets in two balls - Murali and Attapatu I think, and England had 6 overs to get 50 runs. They did it in 5. Great end to a test match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm... Jayasuriya's terrible tactics rather spoilt it for me.
Too easy... and of course Trescothick gets dropped yet again at the end...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The best I have seen is the Gatting ball, but you can't say for definate - so much of Cricket's rich history has gone unfilmed.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Possibly this thread has been interpreted more as best delivery that has been most enjoyed - it's not escaped my notice that most have been a hugely significant ball, often by a great bowler to a great batsman.
Personally I've bowled a way better ball myself than any I've seen on TV - pitched about 3 feet outside leg (from over-the-wicket, to a right-hander - I am a right-arm seamer) and next I knew it had clipped the top of off.
No-one else realised what had happened, but me and the wicketkeeper just looked at each other, quite lost for words. How on Earth such a mediocre bowler ever bowled such a ball is totally beyond me - obviously it hit something odd on the pitch - but no other ball comes close. I am not blowing my own trumpet here, I am as baffled as anyone would be having watched it from behind.
As for all the brilliant deliveries bowled in international cricket, there are plenty and plenty, none of which can reasonably be divided - balls that move twice, in opposite directions, are clearly atop the tree but once you get them all, you really can't say one was better.
:mellow:

I could do that, I just don't want to.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I've bowled a few Warnie balls (obviously slower, and aided by the pitch), but there is nothing better than bowling a guy behind his legs as he leaves a full ball outside leg

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
:mellow:

I could do that, I just don't want to.
Whether you want to believe it or not, I did.
I'm not claiming it was anything but a quite astonishingly remarkable fluke, but it happened.
And without doubt it's the most unplayable ball I've seen.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I've no idea what the best deliveries I've seen are (I have difficulty remembering specific deliveries), but they tend not to be ones that have likely hit some massive crack on the pitch or were just a fluke - the best deliveries are the ones that do amazing things because the bowler wanted them to. Spinning insane amounts is good (so long as, as mentioned, it doesn't hit a rock or something) but I'd probably go with swing for my favourite deliveries in general. Watching a replay where a ball completely changes direction - twice - is always special. What's this about a delivery changing three times in one delivery, though? Wow.