• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI fantasy ODI team

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
I was just wondering, if we were to put together a WORLD XI team, for an ODI game...Please don't mention players who have retired from ODI etc. (like Warne)

My World XI ODI team would be:

1) Adam Gilchrist (batsman/wicket keeper, australia)
2) Sachin Tendulkar (batsman, india)
3) Ricky Ponting (batsman, australia) (captain)
4) Brian Lara (batsman, west indies)
5) Jacques Kallis (all rounder, south africa)
6) Andrew Flintoff (all rounder, england)
7) Chris Gayle (all rounder, west indies)
8) Shaun Pollock (all rounder, south africa)
9) Muttiah Muralitharan (bowler, sri lanka)
10) Shoaib Akthar (bowler, pakistan)
11) Glenn McGrath (bowler, australia)

So?

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist - WK batsman - Aust
Gayle - Batsman - WI
Ponting* - Batsman Captain - Aust
Lara - Batsman - WI
Tendulkar - Batsman - WI
Kallis - Batsman - RSA
Symonds - AR - Aust
Flintoff - AR - ENG
Cairns - AR - NZ
Lee - Bowler - Aust
McGrath - Bowler - Aust

2 bowlers and 6 all rounders (or batsmen who bowl) should be able to get through 50 overs, tendulkar bowls a few as well.

bats down to number 9, with Lee also a pretty useful batsman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
2 bowlers and 6 all rounders (or batsmen who bowl) should be able to get through 50 overs, tendulkar bowls a few as well.
Flintoff, Gayle and Cairns are more than just batsmen who bowl, they're 10 over a game men.

bryce

International Regular
marc71178 said:
Flintoff, Gayle and Cairns are more than just batsmen who bowl, they're 10 over a game men.
yeah well they're not aussies either :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster10 said:
I was just wondering, if we were to put together a WORLD XI team, for an ODI game...Please don't mention players who have retired from ODI etc. (like Warne)

My World XI ODI team would be:

1) Adam Gilchrist (batsman/wicket keeper, australia)
7) Chris Gayle (all rounder, west indies)

So?
Brilliant selection , but Gayle seems out of place at 7. Instead if he opens and Sachin moves to three the Team is ideal IMO.

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
JASON said:
Brilliant selection , but Gayle seems out of place at 7. Instead if he opens and Sachin moves to three the Team is ideal IMO.
Yeah I quite didn't like Gayle at 7 either, but I know Sachin definitely is most destructive opening so I didn't want to compromise his position.
Since you mentioned maybe Gilchrist can move to 7 (since he does that in Tests anyway, and we all know he only knows one way to play, irrespective of position)

So the new revised order would be

1) Chris Gayle (all rounder, west indies)
7) Adam Gilchrist (batsman/wicket keeper, australia)

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
Funny while putting these top eleven ODI players, here is the break down country wise:

Australia - 3,
South Africa - 2,
West Indies - 2,
India - 1,
Pakistan - 1,
Sri Lanka - 1,
England - 1

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
age_master said:
Gilchrist - WK batsman - Aust
Gayle - Batsman - WI
Ponting* - Batsman Captain - Aust
Lara - Batsman - WI
Tendulkar - Batsman - WI
Kallis - Batsman - RSA
Symonds - AR - Aust
Flintoff - AR - ENG
Cairns - AR - NZ
Lee - Bowler - Aust
McGrath - Bowler - Aust

bats down to number 9, with Lee also a pretty useful batsman.
When did Tendulkar play for West Indies???

Anyway I'd open with Tendulkar and keep Rahul in place of Gayle
And I didn't find any spinner there...so Symonds is out and in comes Daniel Vettori = definitely NOT over-rated

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
age_master said:
tendulkar bowls a few as well.
If in a World XI team I have to even think of bowling Tendulkar, then obviously something is not quite right.

I also don't expect any bowler to bat either...I leave that role to a batsman or an all rounder. Run's scored by a bowler should be looked as bonus.

In fact, with a World XI team, I shouldn't even think of having a time where a tail ender would have to bat, my top 7 should be able to do the job quite comfortably of scoring the runs.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
dravid???

he should definitely have been in here, but i guess its an ODI and not a Test team so it makes some sense ...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nikhil1772 said:
And I didn't find any spinner there...so Symonds is out and in comes Daniel Vettori = definitely NOT over-rated
Take out one of the best ODI allrounders and batsmen in the game right now and replace him with a good ODI batsman. Dravid is not an outstanding ODI player, but is better than most. Not sure I see the sense...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nikhil1772 said:
Well, Gayle is in there.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Take out one of the best ODI allrounders and batsmen in the game right now and replace him with a good ODI batsman. Dravid is not an outstanding ODI player, but is better than most. Not sure I see the sense...
Dont know about you but I think people dont see Dravid as an outstanding ODI player only because he doesn't hit sixes often thats not fair...
He's better than most?...Sometimes he's better than ALL OF THEM when the team is in need

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nikhil1772 said:
Ok fine but Rahul's gotta be there too...rather is a must

Even though Gayle is one of the top ODI all-rounders?

I don't see why Dravid is a must to be honest.