• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond's back

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Bond bowled for his club side in Christchurch today for the first time in 7 months since he broke down in England last year. Bond is targeting the ODI series against Australia here in Feb/March...although I think that may be unrealistic.

I read an article today where Bond said he believed he's the fittest he's ever been. It will be his last shot & he will even give it away if he can no longer bowl 150 km's +.

Good luck to him.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully he'll last a lot longer than Shayne O' Connor, who retired at 29.

bryce

International Regular
not to mention dion nash and geoff allot, hope he's back for the aussies - also hope he doesn't make the mistake of coming back too soon

Gangster

U19 12th Man
This is very good news. I'm a huge fan of fast bowling, and Bond's one of the best. If he can make a comeback to international cricket, and return to his old ways at his old pace, it will be a great thing for everyone but the batsmen he's bowling those 150 k yorkers at!

James

Cricket Web Owner
In his come back game today he bowled 5 overs, 9 runs for 0 wickets and came through it fine :)

James

Cricket Web Owner
A Canterbury local club team yes.

He's said he hopes to make play for Canterbury in the later stages of the State Shield (NZ's domestic 50 over competition).

Craig

World Traveller
That's great news.

I would say bowling at least 145km/h should be a minimum would he would be aiming for, at least that way he isn't setting himself too much up for failure.

Even bowling at least 145 km/h would offer something to our attack.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good to see he's on the road to recovery, it sounds like he's definitely been putting in the hard hours to give himself every chance.

There's precious few fellas in world cricket who can regularly crank it up to 90mph (I'm an imperial die-hard) to any effect. With Harmy's current inability to hit a barn door, Shoaib entering one of his sulks, Fred's muscle tear & Lee outta favour the cupboard looks pretty bare.

Fingers crossed for Bond.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brilliant news for NZ and world cricket if not for opposing batsmen around the traps.

I think we may have to accept that he may come back to bowl in the 135-146 speed range as opposed to his old 142-154 range.

Having said that, it may not be a bad thing. Bond is an intelligent guy, that is clear in listening to him commentating. He may come back as a slightly slower but more canny bowler able to bowl longer spells whilst putting slightly less strain on his back.

And lets face it 135-146 is still quick enough to give the best batsmen the hurry up.

Lets hope for the best that the body holds up.

Kent

State 12th Man
According to the Sunday paper I've just picked up, he finished up with 10 overs for 13 runs (including 8 no-balls), and fringe Black Cap Peter Fulton's wicket.

Seeing the interest on CW seems to be quite high, I'll do a bit of quick transcribing (only this once!) -

"Tired but happy", Bond was pleased with his first steps back and didn't expect to wake up too sore this morning after intense months of rehab.
"It's just standing on my feet all day that's taking a bit of getting used to again"," Bond said.
"And I bowled 8 no-balls, which was annoying but something I haven't worked on as such. The hardest thing was that my timing got slightly thrown now that I'm back outdoors on slightly soft grass as opposed to the perfectly hard, controlled indoor surfaces on which I've been training. But that'll come back with more time"
"My goal is to get through to the end of the season having played some sort of representative cricket, but you never really know how long it's going to take for everything to click.
"If it works out, great. If it doesn't, I've definitely left no stone unturned. I know realistically it's my last chance and I've worked really hard. Fingers crossed, I should reap the benefits.
Good to hear those last few lines from him - part of me actually wished the Aussies would be touring next year rather than this year, making Bond less likely to push himself too hard in an attempt to be ready.

Last edited: