• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies 2005 Domestic Cricket

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tom Halsey said:
:p

Trust me to stuff up. :D

Regarding Giles, he does not turn it the other way, he has the arm-ball. And why couldn't Mohammad use the rough against England then? They have a fair few lefties.
Are you serious?! Giles is an offspinner who turns the ball from the lefthanders offstump to legstump. Mohammed is a wrist spinner who turns it from leg' to off'. That's the other way!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tom Halsey said:
And why couldn't Mohammad use the rough against England then? They have a fair few lefties.
The rough is wide of offstump and he's turning the ball away from offstump. You do the math...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Are you serious?! Giles is an offspinner who turns the ball from the lefthanders offstump to legstump. Mohammed is a wrist spinner who turns it from leg' to off'. That's the other way!
Misunderstanding.

I thought you meant 'other way' as in variation! :happy:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The rough is wide of offstump and he's turning the ball away from offstump. You do the math...
There is usually some rough on off too. Never straighter than that though.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You're not one of those who judges players on two Tests in unhelpful conditions are you? And don't tell me any crap about Giles' bowling. Giles turns the ball the other way and thus had a lot of rough to use to his advantage. Neither Mohammed nor Banks could utilize the rough anywhere near that extent.

In SA he did not bowl rubbish. He was unlucky though. If you want rubbish, look at Mahenra Nagamootoo.

EDIT: Just to note your statement - "same rubbish in both" and "bowled beter to SA". Makes sense to me. :p
All I remember about Mahendra Nagamootoo is him being the target of one of my brother's few and far between comments about cricket: "Wow, he's malnourised!"

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
How are the bowlers shaping up this year in the FC competiton over there?? It's definetaly, and ironically, become the trouble spot for the West Indies.

The batting isn't too bad with Lara still around (although for not much longer), Chanderpaul, Gayle and Sarwan.

Bravo looks to be a great bowling all rounder prospect but I don't think he's the guy who can be leading the attack.

How do some of these guys stand in terms of the Windies bowling prospects. Remeber i've never seen any of these guys and are only going from what i've read and stats i've seen:
- Andrew Richardson
- Suliemann Benn (first noticed his name cropping up a few years ago, and has put in solid FC performances for a few seasons)
- Dwight Washington (remember reading a thing that he may have bee reported for throwing)
- Darren Sammy
- Neil McGarrell (bit old, but has put performances on the board for a while now)

And are the any other younger guys coming through??

Jermaine Lawson looks like a prospect. I know he got reported for throwing - has he bounced back from that?

Reon King is a very good bowler, and i've always liked him. Don't know how it took so long to get a recall and why he wasn't given more of a go when in the team. At 29, he's still got a bit off time to rebuild.

Mervyn Dillon isn't too bad, but not a guy you want leading your attack. Ian Bradshaw likewise, plus he's hit the scene a little late so won't be around that much longer.

Tino Best and Fidel Edwards are quick but have no mental abilities at all really.

Sanford and Pedro Collins are just plain ordinary IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Black Thunder said:
How do some of these guys stand in terms of the Windies bowling prospects. Remeber i've never seen any of these guys and are only going from what i've read and stats i've seen:
- Andrew Richardson
- Suliemann Benn (first noticed his name cropping up a few years ago, and has put in solid FC performances for a few seasons)
- Dwight Washington (remember reading a thing that he may have bee reported for throwing)
- Darren Sammy
- Neil McGarrell (bit old, but has put performances on the board for a while now)
Richardson - average at best.
Benn - not sure about his commitment.
Washington - seen little of him.
Sammy - poor man's Bravo.
McGarrell - doesn't spin it much, but is accurate.

Black Thunder said:
And are the any other younger guys coming through??
Spin - Amit Jaggernauth (TT), Omari Banks (LI).
Pace - Kenroy Peters (WI), Jerome Taylor (Jam), Kyron Lynch (TT).

There are others, but they don't come to mind right now.

Black Thunder said:
Jermaine Lawson looks like a prospect. I know he got reported for throwing - has he bounced back from that?
He looked pretty decent in England at times, but is injured now.

Black Thunder said:
Reon King is a very good bowler, and i've always liked him. Don't know how it took so long to get a recall and why he wasn't given more of a go when in the team.
He simply wasn't bowling well since his injury until lately.

Black Thunder said:
Tino Best and Fidel Edwards are quick but have no mental abilities at all really.
Young and raw. Time to find some maturity.

Black Thunder said:
Sanford and Pedro Collins are just plain ordinary IMO.
Do not class Collins with Sanford please. Pedro Collins was outstanding with the ball last year and has really improved as a bowler to the point where he can get world class batsmen out. Sanford may get the wickets of one or two world class batsmen, but he won't get them out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
West Indies domestic cricket is very unpredictable. Too many players are hyped too soon and then brought to international cricket too soon as the NEXT BIG THING of west indies cricket and then shown the door as not good enough.

Its not the fault of the players, its more to do with the selections.

There have been say 30-35 players who have played for West Indies in 2004? Or more than that? Huge number when you consider there are 6 first class teams.

Just blooding every second youngster whom you find good in 2-3 first class matches may work for Pakistan, it only devalues the West Indian cricket cap. Some of the FC records of the players making the international debut has also been horrible. While FC cricket is not a total reflection of players, they should be made of some value even in distoreted Windies FC cricket stats.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pratyush said:
What exactly do you mean by that!?
I think he means he might be the person in the wicket taker column, but it is merely the batsmen getting themselves out.

MrX

I agree Collins has improved but i still don't rate him at all.

Of your young spinners, without having seen them (have seen Banks) it would seem than Benn is the best prospect of the lot, but if you say committment is a problem than that must be sorted out.

I remember there was some hype about Banks and his bowling was very dissapointing i thought but i was impressed with his batting. Don't know how he goes now but at the time (bout 2-3 years ago) i thought he was going to be a better batsmen than bowler.

It seems that the talent is there, but the organisation and structures in place are a little rusty. A lot like Pakistan in that respect, and to a lesser extent India.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Black Thunder said:
I agree Collins has improved but i still don't rate him at all.
I've seen Pedro sarcastically referred to as "Wasim" Collins on other message boards and he certainly won't be firing in any Brett Lee style 95 mph yorkers during the VB Series, but last season he was an effective test match bowler.

He's pretty accurate and since returning to the side he's got consistent swing with the new ball.