• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC World XI v ACC Asian XI, ODI, Melbourne, January 10th, 2005

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
This might be a charity match played in aid of Tsunami victims, but please do not be mistaken in treating this as a friendly contest with no hard-core competition between the teams as this match has been granted OFFICIAL ODI status by the ICC (ie. runs scored, wickets taken, catches taken, etc. are all accounted for).

Latest news is that the master blaster (Tendulkar) might not bat in the game (due to tennis elbow injury), and may only take part in the field. However this match still hosts many of the world's top players – including Lara, Gilchrist, Warne and Murali.

ICC XI Squad: RT Ponting (capt), DJJ Bravo, CL Cairns, SP Fleming, CH Gayle, AC Gilchrist (wkt), D Gough, ML Hayden, BC Lara, GD McGrath, DL Vettori, SK Warne

ACC Asian XI Squad: SC Ganguly (capt), ST Jayasuriya, SR Tendulkar, R Dravid, MS Atapattu, V Sehwag, Y Youhana, A Kapali, KC Sangakkara (wkt), M Muralitharan, S Akhtar, WPUJC Vaas, A Kumble, Z Khan

So, who do you think is going to win?

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting that Ponting has been made skipper....I can only assume its because its being played in Aust.

NZ were the most successful One day team in 2004 and Fleming who captained NZ certainly doesn't have the talent in his side that ponting has ...

Any thoughts??

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
zinzan12 said:
Interesting that Ponting has been made skipper....I can only assume its because its being played in Aust.

NZ were the most successful One day team in 2004 and Fleming who captained NZ certainly doesn't have the talent in his side that ponting has ...

Any thoughts??
  • Because it's played in Aussieland like you said
  • Because 6 of the players are Aussies
  • He's captained against India more (can someone confirm?)
  • He....He....He likes bananas?

That's all I've got.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Or maybe he's captaining the side because he's a great captain, of the best team in the world, and is also a better player then Fleming.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I couldn't really care less who captains or who makes the side..the fact is, the game has been organised & there is a likely outcome of $5 million for the affected Asian countries.

Hopefully we see the team batting first score over 250 & then a good chase by the opposition.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
I couldn't really care less who captains or who makes the side..the fact is, the game has been organised & there is a likely outcome of $5 million for the affected Asian countries.

Hopefully we see the team batting first score over 250 & then a good chase by the opposition.
Let's hope so... one of the sponsors has pledged to donate $1,000 for every run scored, so a high scoring match will add another half-million or so to the donations.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Let's hope so... one of the sponsors has pledged to donate $1,000 for every run scored, so a high scoring match will add another half-million or so to the donations.
Holy ****, $1000 for every run scored...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A real spectacle in prospect...

Its going to be a funny sort of batting order for the rest of world.

They have 4 one day openers in Gilchrist, hayden, fleming and gayle.

My feeling is that dwayne bravo will be made twelve man.
As a young up and coming allrounder he will learn a lot being in that atmosphere of that squad of great players...

My side and batting order would be ....

*= bowlers options

Gayle *
Hayden
Ponting
lara
fleming
Gilchrist
Cairns*
vettori*
warne*
Gough*
Mcgrath*

Bravo (12 man)

My asian side would be ....

Sewag*
Jayasuriya*
Tendulkar*
Dravid
Youhana
Ganguly*
KC Sangakkara
WPUJC Vaas*
Z Khan* (over Kumble as so many spin options)
M Muralitharan*
Aktar*

Kumble (12 man)

I predict "Rest of the world side to win" mainly due to the fact they are more suited to the Aussie conditions....

Any thoughts?

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
zinzan12 said:
I predict "Rest of the world side to win" mainly due to the fact they are more suited to the Aussie conditions....

Any thoughts?
...it looks like it could be anyone's game. Don't forget, all these players (in both teams) are experienced players, know the conditions, know each other's techniques and tricks...so you never know.

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
redbaron said:
the only thing im worried about is how the hell did ganguly make captain.
Obviously, since Ricky Ponting is leading the World XI. I believe everyone knows that Ganguly vs Ponting is an ongoing battle...they met in the last world cup final too.

masterblaster10

Cricket Spectator
For people in the USA. This match is played live on Dish Network.

Here is the info -

DISH Network is proud to offer this unique one-day series to help raise funds to support the victims of the tsunami disaster that has devastated thousands of lives in a multitude of countries across the Indian Ocean. All profits will be donated to World Vision, a global relief and development organization.

The match will be played between an ICC XI and an Asian XI at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Sunday, January 9th
LIVE at 10 PM ET
Package Price: $9.95

Channel 457/471

telsor

U19 12th Man
masterblaster10 said:
I saw the Asian XI team group photo...asian XI

Sachin was in there...but not Shoaib...but there were reports Sachin might not play...does anyone know for sure?
I only count 10 in the team photo, so I hope thats not the whole team. :D

News reports over the past day or two have both Sachin and Shoab out due to their respective injuries.

Last edited:

NikhilN

International Regular
w00t w00t I am getting the game here. ICC XI seem to have a stronger XI than Asia XI IMO...This is surely going to be a very very interesting match. ICC have won the toss and will bat